Grip your weight?

Guest Allan

I handed my #1 gripper to a friend and mentioned that it was ~140 lbs to close. He asked if he should be able to close a gripper that is equal to his body weight. This got me thinking that a general rule of thumb for a "fit" male would be for him to be able to close a gripper equal to his weight.  Maybe we should say "above average fit male". There are few [190 lb] men I know that could close a #2.

I'm 200 now and plan to be 185 [sans beergut this Spring] and would be delighted to be able to close a #2.

Think this is a good index?

Allan,

It used to be a general rule that someone who could

press bodyweight was above the crowd.

Your thought is interesting but even those who are

stronger than 'above average' have little success with

grippers in the #3 and #4 range. Indeed, Kinney weighs

no where close to the bodyweight needed for his ability

to close the #4. The World's Strongest Man competitors

are not generally known for shutting the hard grippers,

though their bodyweights may be less than the lbs

of the gripper pressure.

You mention #2 and then you mention 190 lbs., which

brings us back to the PDA calibrated grippers, which

would be an easier comparison- simply order a gripper

which matches your bodyweight.

It would be a fun comparison at least, though hardly

etched in spring steel.

Allan,

It's hard to quantify what a #2 means in pounds, I would say a better way to judge if you can grip your weight (especially if you are 200lbs) would be to just hang from a bar with one hand, the average person can't do this feat for 10 seconds even.

Since PDA is calibrating grippers, I think that people will shoot for double and even triple (for the monsters of grip) bodyweight on a gripper. Let's take David Horne for example. I don't know his bodyweight but he is over 200 for sure. He closed a 520 gripper. No one doubts he will close a 600 gripper one of these days. That's way over bodyweigth.

I still wait for my SOS gripper. I'm going to write to John to check if the order is OK. I ordered it on november 25th and still don't have it.

Guest Askalas

My PDA order ran late too.  John notified me and said that they had gotten really backed up reciently.  You may want to email him and check it out like you said.  The order was worth the wait though :D

I just talked to John at PDA the other day, and unfortunetly, he has some family matters that he is attending to and will be backed up on some of his work.  This is concerning me quite a bit as I am itching to get my grippers calibrated and he told me I'll have to wait on that.  Oh well.

I should also mention that in the Joe Kinney video, he states that when he closes that IM #4, he is gripping TRIPLE his bodyweight!  Wow!   :0    :0