Steel?

Roper

I went over to a steel supplier to look for a solid steel bar, to use as a 2" bar. There was a bunch of different grades available, something like "the 550" and so on, didn`t have a clue what the difference was :blink , and the guy there didn`t know either which would be best for this use. So what is best? Anyways, it`s about 100€ for the bar, and I`ll just weld some inside collars in place,and that should be it!

If it's a solid steel bar, then the grade won't matter.

Just DON'T get stainless steel - that's the most expensive. I got a near solid steel 2" bar (it was a very thick pipe)... it was the cheapest grade for the price and I could load it up a lot heavier than I'll ever lift it and it will hold like a champion! :happy

I bought a solid 2 inch steel bar 5 1/2 feet long at a metal place, like 2 miles away from my house.for only $35 :laugh I always buy steel there :happy

I think common cheap cold-rolled steel is probalby "1080" or thereabouts.

For our uses the grade doesnt matter, since a solid 2" bar is going to hold more than we will ever lift, and the weight between grades is basically the same.

I would go cheapest (unless you are willing to spend $$ and want stainless. . in which case you can get one made to your exact spec from PDA) You will probably sand or smooth the piece and then paint it I'm assuming. . ? You could even get the piece plated or powdercoated for durability. Or just let 'er rust and every month or so scrub it with a scothbrite pad. After a year or so the bar will have a nice even patina on it and it will be that way for as long as you consistently use it. Truly rugged stuff here : )

Save your sweating for when the bar arrives, go cheap.

(my $.02)

~Steve

A schedule 80 pipe will hold as much as you'll ever lift on a thick bar and cost alot less than a solid piece.

I WAS GOING TO GET A PIECE OF TWO INCH PIPE TO MAKE A BAR THE REAL SHINY STUFF IS TO SMOOTH TO HOLD ON TO SO COLD ROLLED IS THE BEST BUT IT WILL RUST SO KEEP IT CLEAN AND DRY PS . I HAVE A ONE INCH COLD ROLLED BAR AND HAVE HAD 800LB ON IT AND IT HAS NOT BENT SO 2 INCH WILL HOLD ANYTHING AS REVTOR SAID ;)

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

I  WAS GOING TO GET A PIECE OF TWO INCH PIPE TO MAKE A BAR THE REAL SHINY STUFF IS TO SMOOTH TO HOLD ON TO SO COLD ROLLED IS THE BEST BUT IT WILL RUST SO KEEP IT CLEAN AND DRY  PS .    I HAVE A ONE INCH COLD ROLLED BAR AND HAVE HAD 800LB ON IT AND IT HAS NOT  BENT SO 2 INCH WILL HOLD ANYTHING AS REVTOR SAID    ;)

If one was to make his or her own squat racks. what kind of steel would one suggest for this application?

As has been mentioned, if it is solid steel then the grade doesn't matter. As long as it is not cast iron for some reason, it will hold more than any of us can lift on it.

Razorman, if you made a rack out of 2x2 tubing (1/4" wall thickness) it would be strong enough I think. Two racks at my gym are made from tube - one is 2x2 and is bolted to the ground and the other is 2x4 and is free standing. Both of them have had a lot of weight drop on them with no ill effect.

Trivia stuff for the day.

2" pipe actually measures 2.375" or 2 3/8". 1 1/2" pipe measures 1.875" or 1 7/8". Good Olympic bars go 1.955" or so. There is what they call handrail which is a little lighter than actual scheldule 40 pipe. Handrail has a .14 wall thickness and Sch 40 Pipe has .15 wall thickness. Just for information - an IM Apollon Axle is true 2" tubing with a .25 wall with the ends turned down to 1.955" or so. I've made a bar from the pipe and used it with 352# - my best double overhand lift. It handled it with no apparent problem but I don't know what the actual limit might be. Schedule 80 pipe should hold anything a non mutant might be able to lift, and solid CRS or HRS is probably way overkill. Another thing you have to be careful of is that actual 2" may not fit into the holes on the better plates. Neither my Eleiko or York plates will fit true 2" bar stock. Most of my Barbell brand plates will fit but not all of them.

Razorman - What type Squat racks are you talking about, and what kind of weight?

I don't have the specs that climber had because my gauge took a shit. But I know some of the bars I've made using 1 1/2in scheldule 80 pipe brings you almost a 1/16 shy of a true 2" and all your plates will still fit. If you can put enough weight on it to bend it make sure you film it and post it in the gallery I'd like to see it :yikes .

I made farmers with 3/4 inch pipe cause all the weight I had were standard weights. They bent after I was using 232 per hand. I now have oly size weights and am converting my farmers to the bigger pipe. I dont think I will have a problem with them bending because I am using inner diameter 1and1/2 with the 3/4 inside of it.

Yes, I really wasn`t thinking of the point that it IS a thich-bar, and so it probably won`t be bent my poundages :blush

About PDA; they DO have all kinds of great items, but their shipping policy is so inflexible, that I can never afford the postage for ANYTHING. :(