Pinch Gripping

Bill Piche

What are your experiences?

Mine is whenever I focus on pinching my crush goes DOWN but comes back stronger when I cut WAY back on pinching doing it infrequently.

i agree wannagrip.  whenever i'm concentrating on pinching my efforts with the grippers go down.  but i always come back stronger than ever.  i think pinching is awesome for all around hand strength.

Guest StrongerthanArne

I pinch once a week and have done so for about 7 months now. I also do wrist curls, RT and grippers once a week. At the last Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge on December 8, I injured my left thumb so I have not been able to pinch nor doing any RT work. One result of this was a drop in strength on the grippers with my left hand. Remember Nick closed a #3 without having trained on grippers, but rather having done loads of other grip related training.

Guest 115-1005574997

Hia Mikael

Just wanted to say how much i enjoyed your article in the latest issue of Iron Grip and well done in the competition.

sorry to hear about your thumb injury - i can sympathise a bit due to a few problems myself :(

I have found that pinch gripping has a huge carryover to many other lifts and does indeed, help my gripping strength.

Like Nick, Jim wylie closed the #3 after a year of pinching, thick bar work and wrist excersises.  After 6 weeks of specific griper work he was certified with the #3.

scott

Scott

I didn't start training my grip at all until May 2000 but I started using the grippers from Day one.  It took me about six weeks to close the #3 after I had started to train with that gripper on a weekly basis.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Thanks, Scott

It does look a bit odd though with me talking about myself all the time in that article. I sent an e-mail to David and he published it word by word. I should have separated the report from chatting. I'll give a better report next time. The Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge I was held in September, so I hope to have a report of the LGC II which took place in December for the next issue of Iron Grip. I injured my thumb during the LGC II, and so did Arne Persson. By the way, I really enjoyed Jim's article in the Iron Grip.

Cheers

Guest 115-1005574997

Jim

Sorry for misunderstanding and misquoting things. Thanks for putting me right.

I was trying to make an observation from what yourve told me about your training and from what i have seen.  hope you dont mind Jim? :)

scott

Scott,

No problem :)

Mikael,

Glad you enjoyed the write-up, I liked yours too :).  How about giving us the results of the LGC II now??  ;)

Guest StrongerthanArne

Overall result

1. Kalle Lane 25 p.

2. Mikael Siversson 19 p.

3. Joakim Palmqvist 18 p.

4. Arne Persson 15 p.

5. Mattias Carlberg 15 p.

6. Paul Linton 11.5 p.

7. Joachim Olsson 11 p.

8. Sebastian Bengtsson 10.5 p.

9. Andreas Karlsson 10 p.

Individual events (both hands)

Grippers

(a rather tough IM #2, and two IM #3, one rated at 396 and the other at 410 ip. This difference in IP seems to reflect well the diff. in closing difficulty in this particular case). Strap holds were used to separate competitors that closed the same grippers both right and left. For the strap holds we used the tough #2 for separating those that closed the #3, an easier #2 for those that closed the tough #2 with both hands, and a #1 for those that closed the tough #2 with one hand but failed with the other hand. The strap used is very thin and slippery compared to leather straps. The times for LGC II are thus not directly comparable with those of LGC I in which we used a thicker leather strap.

1. Mikael Siversson: right IM #3 (the easier one), left IM #2. Strap holds 2.5 kg and the tough #2: right 21.2 sec., left 14.8 sec., tot. 36.0 sec.

2. Joakim Palmqvist: right IM #3 (the easier one), left IM #2. Strap holds 2.5 kg and the tough #2: right 18.7 sec., left 6.4 sec., tot. 25.1 sec.

3. Kalle Lane: right IM #2, left IM #2. Strap holds 2.5 kg and easy #2: right 30.8 sec., left 5.5 sec., tot. 36.3 sec.

4. Paul Linton: right IM #2, left IM #2. Strap holds 2.5 kg and easy #2: right 27.6 sec., left 7.2 sec., tot. 34.8 sec.

5. Joachim Olsson: right IM #2, left IM #2. Strap holds 2.5 kg and easy #2: right 8.0 sec., left 13.5 sec., tot. 21.5 sec.

6. Andreas Karlsson: right IM #2, left IM #2. Strap holds 2.5 kg and easy #2: right 7.2 sec., left 8.4 sec., tot. 15.6 sec.

7. Arne Persson: right IM #2, left IM #2. Strap holds 2.5 kg and easy #2: right 6.4 sec., left 3.0 sec., tot. 9.4 sec.

8. Mattias Carlberg: right IM #2, failed with left. Strap holds 2.5 kg and IM #1: right 14.9 sec., left 11.5 sec., tot. 26.4 sec.

9. Sebastian Bengtsson: right IM #2, failed with left. Strap holds 2.5 kg and IM #1: right 17.7 sec., left 5.4 sec., tot. 23.1 sec.

Pinch Iron Plates 62 mm width.

1. Kalle Lane 73 kg (36 right + 37 left)

2. Mikael Siversson 65 kg (36+29)

3. Mattias Carlberg 65 kg (33+32)

4. Sebastian Bengtsson 61.5 kg (32.5+29)

5. Joachim Olsson 61.5 kg (32+29.5)

6. Arne Persson 61.5 kg (31.5+30)

7. Joakim Palmqvist 60 kg (31.5+28.5)

8. Paul Linton 56 kg (30.5+25.5)

9. Andreas Karlsson 50 kg (25+25)

Rolling Thunder

1. Kalle Lane 172.5 kg (90 right+ 82.5 left)

2. Arne Persson 145 kg (77.5+67.5)

3. Joakim Palmqvist 142.5 kg (72.5+70)

4. Mattias Carlberg 140 kg (72.5+67.5)

5. Andreas Karlsson 140 kg (70+70)

6. Paul Linton 137.5 kg (70+67.5)

6. Sebastian Bengtsson 137.5 kg (70+67.5)

8. Mikael Siversson 135 kg (70+65)

9. Joachim Olsson 125 kg (62.5+62.5)