Straightening

jomcgui

Had the ironmind bag for a couple of weeks and now a decent supply of bent whites and greens. i figure i may as well get some extra use out of them so I've been straightening and rebending them until breakage. Any special techniques for this. The whites I can straighten in my hands but the greens i bend over brace my elbows against inside of knees and reverse the U.

:D put them in a vise and get them as straight as you can since you bent them once they will be easer so tape two together and do 2 at a time they are lots of $$$$

Use two pieces or steel pipe that fit over the ends of the nails. They will give you enough extra leverage to easily straighten out the nails.

If you use the 2 pieces of pipe like Old Guy

recommends I have one word of caution.

The pipe works great for bending or straightening

nails/steel except sometimes the nails/steel will

fly out of the pipes like a rocket launcher.

Make sure the end of the pipes with the nail/steel

is not facing anyone near and dear to your heart.

Maybe wrapping the ends before putting it in the

pipes or getting smaller diameter pipes could help.

Forgot to mention that pressing the ends of the

pipe with the nail/steel against a hard flat surface

before applying pressure can help to prevent an

unintended missile launch.

I've never been able to straighten one out with my hands without it snapping.

Every time I straighten one, at about 90º it snaps. No matter if I go slow or fast.

I was playing with a piece of 3/16th X 5" yesterday and was straightening and bending as quick as I could for about 45 secs, and all I got was a very hot piece of steel.

I was playing with a piece of 3/16th X 5" yesterday and was straightening and bending as quick as I could for about 45 secs, and all I got was a very hot piece of steel.

Maybe it's the metal I'm using or the fact that they're bolts that's causing them to snap quickly.

to actually brak a piece it must include fast straightening and rebending to get it heated up, right?

Usually that is right but I've found that if I hold real tight to make sure it won't turn over in my hand, I can break most things in about 3-5 slow rebends. But I do brace when I rebend.

weird, I was able to work it into a supple piece of steel "very hot" but no break. perhaps it is the steel I'm using, it's HRS with a zinc coating.

weird, I was able to work it into a supple piece of steel "very hot" but no break. perhaps it is the steel I'm using, it's  HRS with a zinc coating.

The zinc coated steel i bought snapped the quickest. Feel on the underside of the bend when it gets rough it will soon snap. Length maybe makes a difference too the 6 in lengths snap quicker than the 5 in ones .