Pinch

climber511

I'm sure I've read it somewhere before but I can't find it now. Approximately what weight on a two hand pinch equals a one hand pinch of 2 - 45s. For those of you who can do 2 -45's - what can you do on the 2 hand pinch? Or do you find all that much correlation between the two movements?

Edited by climber511

id say once you can do 195-200 2 and pinch you should be able to bring 2 45's up np

For me the carryover is only one way. I find 1 hand pinching helps 2 hand but not the other way around. Found this out the hard way over the course of 2004 I went from closing in on a one handed pinch of 45's to struggling with 25's after exclusively training 2 handed pinch. Everyone is different though.

Jon@han

• 3 years later...
I'm sure I've read it somewhere before but I can't find it now. Approximately what weight on a two hand pinch equals a one hand pinch of 2 - 45s. For those of you who can do 2 -45's - what can you do on the 2 hand pinch? Or do you find all that much correlation between the two movements?
I know this is an old thread, but...I think we found out. 180.5 for me and 226.19 for Chris.

I can get a good walk with them, and best 2HP as of late is 230.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

-Rex

I think my hands get lonely or something - my two hand pinch is way ahead of my one hand - perhaps if I actually trained as much one hand as two it might make a difference :blush

I trained my 2HP up to 230 in training and 225 in the comp - then did 3-25s - 5-10s and 2-45s afterwords - so I guess that's my numbers.

Edited by climber511

-Rex

I think my hands get lonely or something - my two hand pinch is way ahead of my one hand - perhaps if I actually trained as much one hand as two it might make a difference :blush

I trained my 2HP up to 230 in training and 225 in the comp - then did 3-25s - 5-10s and 2-45s afterwords - so I guess that's my numbers.

I'm going to be doing a lot more 2HP myself. I'm playing w/ 48 mm right now and it feels pretty good.

-Rex

I'm going to be doing a lot more 2HP myself. I'm playing w/ 48 mm right now and it feels pretty good.

There's a scene in this old van Damme movie called Cyborg in which a little girl's family is wrapped in barbed wire and suspended over a well. The little girl is given the barbed wire and told that if she can hold on, her family will live. If she can't hold on, her family plunges to their death. The wire begins to slide through her hands, cutting them open, but she squeezes even tighter. Several feet of wire turn red before she lets go.

I imagine a similar situation when I'm doing 2HP holds. Attached to the 2HP at the bottom is a wire, wrapped around my family. If I can hold them they will live. If I drop it, they die.

Give this a try sometime.

-Rex

-Rex

Bob - start a notebook of everything you try on 2HP - I believe that it's a very valuable tool. For me at least - it was critical.

Rex - are you using 54 mm (2 1/8") still - have you tried other widths at all - just curious what you have found out working with the other widths with the size of your hands?

For me the carryover is only one way. I find 1 hand pinching helps 2 hand but not the other way around. Found this out the hard way over the course of 2004 I went from closing in on a one handed pinch of 45's to struggling with 25's after exclusively training 2 handed pinch. Everyone is different though.

Jon@han

True for me as well. One hand pinch helps me with two hand but the numbers do not correlate backwards.

-Rex

There's a scene in this old van Damme movie called Cyborg in which a little girl's family is wrapped in barbed wire and suspended over a well. The little girl is given the barbed wire and told that if she can hold on, her family will live. If she can't hold on, her family plunges to their death. The wire begins to slide through her hands, cutting them open, but she squeezes even tighter. Several feet of wire turn red before she lets go.

I imagine a similar situation when I'm doing 2HP holds. Attached to the 2HP at the bottom is a wire, wrapped around my family. If I can hold them they will live. If I drop it, they die.

Give this a try sometime.

-Rex

My poor buggers would be 'stop repping it and pull us up Steve' ha ha

If you ask me, this is a very weak comparison. For one, on the adjustable two hand pinch set up, you can make the width whatever you want to get as much weight as you can. With plates, you can't adjust them.

Also, on the pinch, most people tilt the apparatus somewhat. You don't tilt two plates very much at all when you pinch them.

Another point is that the 2HP is much closer to the size of a 35 than a 45. That changes the distance down the plates that you can cover with your fingers, which changes friction, which is very important in pinching.

Just some thoughts. Obviously there is some correlation. I am just saying it is nowhere near a 1 to 1.

That's without the issue of variation/non-standard etc discs when doing plate pinches. There's also no 'snap' technique on one hand pinch which helps a load.

Rex - are you using 54 mm (2 1/8") still - have you tried other widths at all - just curious what you have found out working with the other widths with the size of your hands?

My friend Brandon (SN "BrandonA") made me a 2HP device with a fixed width that I believe is around 54mm. Since it is fixed, I can't experiment with smaller widths. I'm not really sure what the advantage would be. 6mm does not seem to be an appreciable difference. On occasion, Aaron and I would toy with very thin pinch devices--sometimes as thin as coins--but the training was not structured. So I don't have any good data on how the smaller widths affect those with large hands.

-Rex

My friend Brandon (SN "BrandonA") made me a 2HP device with a fixed width that I believe is around 54mm. Since it is fixed, I can't experiment with smaller widths. I'm not really sure what the advantage would be. 6mm does not seem to be an appreciable difference. On occasion, Aaron and I would toy with very thin pinch devices--sometimes as thin as coins--but the training was not structured. So I don't have any good data on how the smaller widths affect those with large hands.

-Rex

6mm makes a world of difference in 2HP when it comes to max weights.

I have done 100 right and almost 90 left one hand on Chris's 2 hand pinch set up. The most 2 handed I have done is 195.

I believe there is an optimal width for each person - I also think that it can change as the strengths of the hands develop. I have done a lot of experimentation and taken pages of notes of it. At one point I did my best at 54mm - now it's 48mm. I think working with the different widths is key to getting the most out of the lift possible - there are more variables than one thinks at first - there's a lot of ways to put pressure on those plates depending on what works best for you. But don't you guys pay any attention to me - I need all the edge I can get.

I believe there is an optimal width for each person - I also think that it can change as the strengths of the hands develop. I have done a lot of experimentation and taken pages of notes of it. At one point I did my best at 54mm - now it's 48mm. I think working with the different widths is key to getting the most out of the lift possible - there are more variables than one thinks at first - there's a lot of ways to put pressure on those plates depending on what works best for you. But don't you guys pay any attention to me - I need all the edge I can get.

I'd be happy to find a position that works everytime. I started recording every detail in a notebook awhile ago and what works one workout will have me failing to even get air the next. Then I'll change my position out of frustration and the weight will come right up? The only way I've made consistent progress workout to workout was to use athletic tape and apply new strips every 1-2 workouts. The downside was it gives you a false sense of confidence by 10-15# or so. I'm hoping my Ameri-pinch will get seasoned and change all that :rock