Am I Overdoing It?

Jostein

Guys i have started working with the gripper,power ball and Ivanko Super gripper like this:

Monday: 5min with powerball,5min with sports grippers,then 5 sets with the Ivanko.

Tuesday: 5min with Powerball and 5min with sports grippers

Wensday: Same as monday

Thursday: Same as Tuesday

Friday: Same as monday

Saturday and Sunday: Same as Tuesday

What do u guys think??

You need a break day or two or three in there..

Maybe try every other day off but double the intensity of training days. .

everyone varies as to what intensity and exercises work best for them. And of course it matters what goals or levels you are trying to reach and for what reason you are working your grip.

The regime sounds good for now, see how you grow and adapt to the exercises and you will naturally adjust the workout to suit you.

generally, its better to start slowly and let your hands and tendons adapt to this new stress before going crazy.

have fun!!

~Steve

Well if your worn out then cut back. You can't work hard constantly. Listen to your body. Despite what many think this isn't rocket science.

I agree with Matt listen to your body.

If you feel recovered and ready to go

then train again.

Sometimes with high intensity training

even 2 to 3 times a week is plenty. There

are times when training too frequently without

enough rest can actually hinder progress.

Good Luck

explain what you mean by ''5 mins with the sports gripper''

The sport gripper is what i bought from a normal store,one of those hobby grippers.I do several rep in 1 min then switch hands and do another minute with reps then i switch back,this goes on for 5 mins total on each hand.

Thanks guys,i started feeling some pain today and my forearms get tired faster,so im takeing 3 days off now :(

if you feel stale or hurt or losing interest cut back, if your making gains and are motivated keep up the good work....

explain what you mean by ''5 mins with the sports gripper''

The sport gripper is what i bought from a normal store,one of those hobby grippers.I do several rep in 1 min then switch hands and do another minute with reps then i switch back,this goes on for 5 mins total on each hand.

Thanks guys,i started feeling some pain today and my forearms get tired faster,so im takeing 3 days off now :(

well in that case then yes your overdoing it, 5 minutes of repping a gripper is a bit much.

then again....i dont know what your goals are.

Edited by dannyboy

My goal is to get a stronger grip for my Brazilian Jiu Jutsu and build my forearms.

hmmmm well if you wanna get stronger.......do you own a trainer coc or a #1?

Edited by dannyboy

Add some thick bar work if you want to work on grasping strength. It will help as much as the gripper work. Thick bar is great fro the forarms. :D

My goal is to get a stronger grip for my Brazilian Jiu Jutsu and build my forearms.

hmmmm well if you wanna get stronger.......do you own a trainer coc or a #1?

I have the ISG.

Add some thick bar work if you want to work on grasping strength.  It will help as much as the gripper work. Thick bar is great fro the forarms. :D

Great,i will serach the gym for some thick bars tomorrow then :D

Good luck finding a gym with thick bars!! Not the first thing gyms tend to stock. If you're looking for forearm size I would stick w/reverse curls and behind back wrist curls.

For Jiu Jutsu I remember reading a fighter would do cable hammer curls with a towel instead of a rope to simulate grasping opponenets clothing. Never tried this but it seems to make sense, try it and see if it works.

Good luck finding a gym with thick bars!!  Not the first thing gyms tend to stock.  If you're looking for forearm size I would stick w/reverse curls and behind back wrist curls.

For Jiu Jutsu I remember reading a fighter would do cable hammer curls with a towel instead of a rope to simulate grasping opponenets clothing.  Never tried this but it seems to make sense, try it and see if it works.

Cool.

My two cents. After much trial and error, and getting a lot of good information from these guys I personally found that doing a Powerball before the workout is bad because it wears you down. A common thing said here is do not do too much of a warmup. I would do the grips on one day and the powerball on the other. I have been doing the grips on the same day as my weightlifting, and the powerball on the days I am on the stationary bike. Seems to be working for me.

I would concentrate more with the ISG. Like Iman74 said, too much of a warm-up can be bad. Work with the ISG until you can find some thick bars and blobs, then build a program using them with the ISG also.

Nice talking with you, Jostein, last night in chat, and I hope Dan and I helped you find some grippers at a decent price.

I agree that think bar work should be of help for BJJ which has very much grappling. When you are trying to hold onto someone's wrist, arm, ankle, etc, it is quite think.

You may wish to use pipe to make your own thick bar. I'm pretty sure there are more than one set of instructions on this site to guide you with that.

.. neilkaz ..

Jostein, sounds like you have a good program already. I am not a BJJ student, but I do wrestle/fight occasionally with inmates. There are some on the Board who do tremendous amounts of volume with the grippers and who are happy with the results. The grip strength endurance built from very high volume (100+ reps) gripper work will transfer nicely, in my opinion, to any type of wrestling. Especially to wrestling that involves holding on to clothing (gi).

As the others will tell you, there are many ways to skin a cat. You can either go for absolute strength. Or mix it up. Or go for (grip) strength endurance. Read some training logs and pick some tips up there. There is an absolute wealth of information here. And the strongest of the strong congregate here as well. They will help you help yourself. Good luck.

Jostein,

Bencrush is one of the highest volumes guys around. It has worked for him...

check out his logs if you tend to like high volume work.