CoC...lack of progression

Guest andyfochtman

Guest andyfochtman

I used CoC grippers for a while a couple years ago but within a year, I pretty much was tired of them.

I had a pretty weak grip to start...could only close the Trainer 5 times.  Worked up to over 30 slam and grind reps and still could not close the #1.  Kept getting stuck between 1/4-1/8 inch.  So I talked with Kevin Fulton and started tons of sets of 5 with the Trainer, working on slamming it shut extremely hard...developing force.  I was doing around 150 total reps a session, once a week.  Within a few weeks I closed the #1 for a couple reps.  I was not able to get to the point where I could perform any meaningful work on the #1 and thus progress to the #2

I have noted that anytime I could get the #1 to less than 1/2" of closure, I could also do the same thing with the 2 and the 3.  (3 isn't as consistent)  

Why would I not be able to improve enough to do "working" sets and reps with the #1?  Why can I at times bring the #3 to within 1/2" but not go much further with the #1?

Andy

Hello Andy,

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question but I am new to this grip stuff. While I have done  always done gip work along with my lifting I never actually had a structured and regular progressive routine .  I am interested in your question because my grip is just plain terrible and I seem to get nowhere with the coc's.  I can close the trainer 25-30 times with my right hand and can't close it at all with my left. I vary between closing the #1 with my right hand once and sometimes not being able to close it at all. I am interested to see what kind of advice if any you get and beleive me....... I feel your pain :angry:

Tommorrow will be my first planned/structured grip w/o and I'll go from there.  This morning I ordered Mastery of Hand strength and hoping to gain some more knowledge.   I'm doing a few different grip excercises in my twice per week routine but as for coc's someone mentioned timed holds and strap holds to gain gripper strength. My plans....which I'm sure will be tweaked as I go along... for now are timed holds on Tuesday and lighter rep work on Friday's as far as coc's are concerned.     We'll see how it goes and hopefully I can learn a bit of something from the board and maybe responses to your question.

good luck

Guest andyfochtman

WannaGrip,

I "did" them, but I can't say I ever really tried them.  Confused?  When I first got Mastery of Hand Strength a couple years ago, I did a couple sets just to see what they were like.  I always assumed that they could be a trick in the bag for when I advanced further.  You know, kind of like how you tell a brand new bench presser to wait until they can bench "X" pounds before trying sectionalized power rack work.

Based on the information I gave you above, would you suggest I still incorporate strap holds at this time?  If so, how?

Thanks

Andy Fochtman

Andy, NOW is the time to begin serious work on strap holds. You said you can close the #1 for a couple of reps. Let's get a strap and put a little weight on it. Begin with 2,5 and progress gradually. In no time, you'll see a MAJOR difference in your closing strength.

Good to see an old school board administrator over here. I hope some of the guys are going to come in. I would like to share grip toughts with Brooks, the man who influenced my training the most.

Hey Tou I'm from the old school board, but I'm really new to both old school & grip stuff. I think I found out about grippage.com on the Tmag forum though.

Funny we just started another strap hold thread here.

Also, do a search.

Most I have seen incorporate 2-5 sets of singles for 5-10 seconds for each hold.

Guest Matt Brennecke

I am in a similar situation.  I can close the #1 about 3-4 times right handed, and once left handed. I have been doing a set of 3 with the trainer to warm up, and then negatives with the #1 usually 5 really slow negatives per hand.  WIth my left I can close it on my own the first time, and then I close it both hands from the second rep on.  The problem is it springs open to about 1/4" right away, and thats the best I can do. Should I do strap holds with the trainer instead of negatives with the #1?

Matt, give an honest try at strap holds with yout Trainer. IF it doesn't work well (which would surprises me a lot), focus on negatives.

Many sets of low time targets.

Strap holds, just like negatives have this particularity to be very brutal on the hands if you work them hard enough. Three times a week is too much. Many people work heavy strap holds once a week, some do it twice. I work strap holds once a week and my other gripper day consists of attempts and negatives with the #3. I work lightly with the #1 everyday, working mainly on the proper positionning of the gripper and the speed of the closing. I also like to do reps with 2 fingers on the #1.

So, work your strap holds once or twice a week, find what works best for you, and you'll have fast results. Always have a good warm up and stretch after your grip workouts (it makes a big differnece for me).

Good luck in your training. !

Guest andyfochtman

Thank you Tou and Wannagrip.  I appreciate the advice.  I'll do a search through your archives so I don't ask repetitive questions

Think I'll break back into gripper training for the next few weeks and then give strap holds a go.

By the way Tou, it's old school FOUNDER, not a mere administrator :)

Thanks again

Andy