This may help some of you to close that #3

Guest StrongerthanArne

Guest StrongerthanArne

For several months I was a couple of mm away from closing the #3. My workout would be: warm up with #1 and #2, then one or two attempts with the #3, followed by three sets of strapholds and finishing it off with two sets of maximum reps with the #2. Then I decided to try a cycle aimed at producing a peak of maximum power. I dropped all attempt with the #3 but did five sets of strapholds instead of three (followed by two sets of maximum reps with the #2). I did this for eight weeks and noticed good improvements (i.e I could use more and more weight). I then started with attempts with the #3 but I did these (two singles attempts) after the five sets of strapholds. The first week I was shocked at how much peak power I had lost, in spite of being much stronger with the strapholds. My first attempt with the three was 7mm, the second was 6, but I decided to stick with the routine. Next week, first attempt 5mm, second 4mm. Next week first attempt 2mm, second 3mm. Fourth week first attempt 1.5 mm, second 0.5 mm. The fifth week I tried to close it before the strapholds and did so with relative ease. I was amazed to see how fast my maximum strength increased once I started with the #3 attempts.

Good tip, I always seem stronger with #3 attempts when I perform them first.  Strapholds seemed to do the trick!

Guest Boog495

strongerthanarne,

question? does the length of the strap have any bearing on lifting the weight? should the strap be relatively short so that your hand and gripper are close to the weight? or would a longer length be preferable? aw heck, what would you recommend for length in inches?

thanks for your tips! much appreciated

Guest StrongerthanArne

I prefer the strap to be at least 10 inches. It is a bit easier to lift a heavyish weight off the ground with a longer strap that has more stretch.

Guest Jeff Roark

I tried strap holds awhile back pre-injury. I wasn't as strong as I am now. For your info I really only tried them at one workout. I found it extremely difficult to get my gripper mashed down, put the strap in position, and then squeeze till I turn blue! What is the easiest way of setting up for successful strap holds? I get the feeling everyone is progressing and using them to their advantage but me. I want a way to do them so I can focus on squeezing the life out of my gripper, instead of come on get in there right...no stay put.....oh heck with it.

I think that's what I need to do Mikael, more volume of strap holds. Nothing works the close like strap holds and closing strength is what I lack. I'll give a try at the routine you suggest (I have nothing to lose since the time I'm stuck on the #3).

Thanks for the tip.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Jeff,

I use a two inches long strip of tape. I place about an inch of the strap on the inside of the non-dogleg and secure it with the tape. The tape does not adhere very well to the aluminium handle but I can usually make it adhere long enough to close the gripper if I push it down right in the middle of the IM gripper where there is a narrow smooth patch. The tape set up works best with a really thin strap. It took awhile for me to find a suitable strap. I finally found a nylon one on one of my girls toys of all places. It still happens that the strap lets go immediately when I try to lift the weight due to slipping of the strap at the last moment. When I increase the weight I do so by 0.5 kg at the time. When I can do a total of 50 sek. in the five sets I increase the weight by 0.5 kg. I have tried 30 and 40 as well but 50 worked the best.

jeff,

i have a thin leather strap that's about an inch wide that i use for strap holds.  it's a lot easier to position this between the handles than a shoe lace or other string.  my dad cuts fabric at a furniture factory so the leather was pretty easy for me to get.  i don't know how difficult it may be for anyone else to get their hands on some.

StrongerthanArne, how long did you do the strap hold sets for?  Were these 5 sets progressively heavier with one top set for the workout?  or were they at the same weight throughout?  Just curious, what kind of reps you were getting with the #2 and how much weight on straps holds when you slammed the #3.  Thanks   :D

Guest StrongerthanArne

Same weight all five sets. Used a 286 ip #2 with 3 kg weight for 12, 12, 9, 9, 8,=50s. This was followed by two attemps with a 410 ip #3 at 3mm (the difference between this and the 396 ip #3 I certified with is about 2-3 mm, i.e, when I, and another guy at my gym, can just close the 396 #3 we have about 2-3 mm left on the 410 #3), first att. and 3 mm second attempt. Finally two sets of maximum reps with the 286 (Arne's): 9, followed by 7 (I would get about twice as many reps if I used my own #2). By the time you do the final two set your hand is getting pretty tired. The weights used are not directly comparable to leather straps as one can use more weights with these. At the Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge I did 21 sec. with 2.5 kg and the 286 ip #2 with the nylon strap (after having closed the 396 but failed on the 410).

I'm going to try that routien Mikael but there will be some variances.

First, I don't have a #2 anymore. I cut the handles of my #2 down at 3". The gripper is probably way above 300 in/lbs. It is almost as tough as my #3. I see it as a 2.7 or 2.8. I can close it for over 30 seconds and I tried strap holds with it last saturday. I managed to lift 2,5 for 25 seconds. So, I'm going to use 5 or 7,5 pounds on the strap and shoot for a first set of 10 seconds and a last of at least 5 seconds.

I don't give myself a target time to close the #3. I did this many times in the past and I didn't succeed. I'll close it when I'll be strong enough.

"I'll close it when I'll be strong enough"... I like that, Tou! I might have to borrow that line sometime. Strongerthan, I appreciate the straphold tip and will try to use it whenever I decide to attack my #3 with both barrels.

I am glad we all seem to be back on track.