Timber Ties

chrlslee1

Ive looked everywhere for timber ties!!! They are no where to be found. I checked my local hardware store and home depot. NOTHING! Anyone know where i could get these off of the internet or if anyone is selling them from this site ill buy. If you live in nassau in new york ill drive to you. Thnx

They might not call them timber ties. They are spiral nails, or wood nails. I've only seen them in sizes 40d and 60d.

6d nails are tacs compared to a 60d. For normal repair and craft work, one probably wouldn't come across a nail larger than a 40d. The most popular name timber ties go by outside of the gripboard is polebarn nails.

Polebarns are a different nail than a timber tie. Polebarns are ring shanked nails and tend to be very brittle and will snap on you (which is kind of cool, but probably not what you are looking for). Timber ties are thicker and have a twist in them, they are not ring shanked. You can break them, but they don't consistently snap. Good luck in your search.

Check a Lowe's if you have one in your area. My local Home Depot doesn't carry any timber ties, but my Lowe's did.

Sometimes timber ties are hard to locate in Lowes or Home Depot.

They may only be available in a 30 pound square plastic bucket

with a lid. It is the nails that weigh about 30 pounds total.

Usually these buckets are either sitting on the floor or the

shelf just above the floor next to the gaint 10' and 12' spikes.

Good Luck with locating the nails.

Remember...the Home Depot nails come in two different 'twists' if you will. The ones in the buckets are looser 'twists' and though marked as 60d, are much easier than the ones in the boxes that have about 2x's the number of twists in them and are galvinized. :blink

Remember...the Home Depot nails come in two different 'twists' if you will.  The ones in the buckets are looser 'twists' and though marked as 60d, are much easier than the ones in the boxes that have about 2x's the number of twists in them and are galvinized. :blink

I just figured this out for myself 2 days ago. Picked up a 5 lb. box and was unable to bend one, while I can bend the ones with less twist no problem. I am going to give a couple a go once my hands and wrists are rested up, as it wasn't a bending day when I tried, I was just excited to try one

Edit: I got mine at Lowe's, and I did notice that in the 5 lb. box ones, they had boxes of both types, I just grabbed the wrong one. They were labeled and sold as the same nail, however.

Edited by Tylerm

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know the poundage change by cutting a 6" low twist timber tie (180#) to 5"? i'm new and trying to close the gap to the yellow nail equivalent. thanks.

~david

I posted in another forum, that I took 1/4" threaded rod and cut it to 5" lengths, this is much harder than a 3/16th 5" piece but not as hard as a 1/4" X 7" piece, I found it to be the next step up for me.