European Records

climber511

In reading the records I see a one hand lift of 300K by David Horne. How was this lift done - is this a full DL or a shorter more upright version? And with what bar and grip allowed. Just something else I'd like to try and want to do it correctly.

There are video clips of David's 300k lifts on the GripBoard. His right hand lift was a good lift, whereas the left hand lift should not have passed as the rear end of the bar did not seem to clear the 5cm minimum. Not David's fault. You really need two judges for this lift as it is impossible to keep your eyes at both ends of the bar. Anyway, David would still have taken the championship even if his 300k left hand attempt had been properly judged. The lift is done with a one-inch diametre non-rotating handle. No hook grip allowed. An adjustable chain is attached to the middle point of a regular PL or OL bar. Both ends of the bar (the plates) have to clear 5cm at the same time. Benny Wennberg pulled 320k with one hand and 280k with the other and should have won this events had they used two judges.

The way we have done it for the LGC competitions is to have a piece of wood, 5 cm tall standing as close as possible to the plates. For the v-bar lift, for example, the judge then has to basically position his head close to the floor to get a good view. There will, of course, be the odd tricky "at-the-limit" lift but the vast majority of lifts have been easy to judge.

Thanks!

I am going to have a vbar lift in my next competition, and I am debating how to judge it.

We came up with a very nice set-up for the v-bar at GGC.

It became very easy to judge, without a question, much easier than just having the wood on the floor.

-Jedd-

We came up with a very nice set-up for the v-bar at GGC.

jedd,

how did your system work? I'm running the British champs this year and I'm interested in anything that makes judging easier...

Excellent pic.

As you can see, the athlete is elevated on a structure, and the judge bends down and gets a good view without having to judge at a poor angle, without guessing, and without crawling on the floor.

Worked out very nicely, and looked like a bad-ass structure. Thanks to my dad for crafting it.

-Jedd-

Very nice bit of kit. I'll have to speak to our maintenance department and see if they can build me something similar. On second thoughts, given the standard of their 'craftsmanship', perhaps I won't!