Warmups

Guest Bane

Hi guys,

I'm in the prossess of designing my grip routine which I will start this Tuesday. I will be ordering "Mastery of Hand Strength" within the next week or so and I'm sure most of my questions will be answered then. In the meantime I was wondering what the best way to warm up would be. I would imagine it's like anything else....progressively heavier reps? I read somewhere that pinch gripping is a good warmup as it doesn't tire any major muscle groups in the forearm??

This is all pretty new to me and I thought maybe there are some hard fast rules to performing a routine so as to not run into problems later???

Thanks for putting up with the querries of the new guy :blush

Here's my warm up for grip training.

1st : stretch each finger for 2 x 15 seconds.

2nd : wrist rotation 2 x 20 / each hand. Both ways.

3rd : hot water (as hot as you can handle) for 2 minutes +.

4th : A couple of 10 reps sets with a store gripper.

5th : 4-5 singles on the #1.

That's it. The key part : hot water.

After your workout, stretch a lot and apply ice on hands and wrists.

I like to lift first.  To me, this seems to get the blood flowing.  Then I go Tx8-10 #1x8 #2x3-5 #3's for a few, then whatever.  I think that going up steadily is a good way to warm-up.  I know a guy who doesn't warm-up, just grabs it and goes.  I can do this with weaker stuff, but to be at my best I have to be warm.  Just try some different stuff and see what works.  The hot water is probably the best thing I've found to really get going if you don't lift first.  

Just my $0.02...

Guest Askalas

I do my weight workout first too to get everything warm.  Then before I do my grip I stretch the wrist, forearms, each finger, and do the warm water (while stretching under it).  This has worked well for me so far.