Another Form Of Pinch?

dannyboy

hey guys im not realy into pinching but i wanna start a good routine.

i think i found something pretty cool, or maybe ppl already do it?

tell me if any of you ever get an uncut regular hex, stand it up and pinch it from the top.

i did that today and it was a really good thumb workout. is there a reason that ppl cut the hex rather than leaving it whole and pinching it this way?

i hope i explained it well enough

Edited by dannyboy

I messef around with that at school with some other guys.  Nothing serious but it was hard.  I wouldn't grab on the numbers though.

i didnt grab the numbers caus thats cheating...tsk tsk tsk

*waves finger*

i got a 35 for 10 seconds, im sure thats nothing to write home about but its a start.

tell me if any of you ever get an uncut regular hex, stand it up and pinch it from the top.

i did that today and it was a really good thumb workout.  is there a reason that ppl cut the hex rather than leaving it whole and pinching it this way?

grabbing the block from the top like that would require (dare i say it) a large hand, since that side is very wide. i did some of that in my gym when i didn't have block weights. I was only able to get my hands around a 25lb'er i think. it was really easy to lift, so it didn't do anything for me.

i did that today and it was a really good thumb workout.  is there a reason that ppl cut the hex rather than leaving it whole and pinching it this way?

grabbing the block from the top like that would require (dare i say it) a large hand, since that side is very wide. i did some of that in my gym when i didn't have block weights. I was only able to get my hands around a 25lb'er i think. it was really easy to lift, so it didn't do anything for me.

i tried the 40lb hex and my hand fit around it no prob. couldnt budge it however.

i was gunna by a hex and cut it, but i wont bother now if i can do it this way.

what do you guys say? by cutting the handles does it work better? or the way im doing it is it easier?

There are a lot of diffrent exercises you can do with a block weight that you can't do with just a dumbell.Examples are block tosses,curls with block neutral and fingers under grip,clean and press ect.I'm not saying lifting the end of the dumbell is not good it's just not as verital as a block.

There are a lot of diffrent exercises you can do with a block weight that you can't do with just a dumbell.Examples are block tosses,curls with block neutral and fingers under grip,clean and press ect.I'm not saying lifting the end of the dumbell is not good it's just not as verital as a block.

aaaaah of course. so that makes sence now why ppl cut them.

Also remember not to drop a DB in a vertical position if it's not your own. I doubt the gym owners will like you too much if you leave their DB's crooked. Tends to ruin the bearing (if the DB has any). I don't know at what DB weight this becomes an issue but I managed to ruin a 37.5 kg DB by just removing it from my chest after a set of crunches. A drop from hip level may prove quite devastating to the poor little piece of iron.

Rolle

Also remember not to drop a DB in a vertical position if it's not your own. I doubt the gym owners will like you too much if you leave their DB's crooked. Tends to ruin the bearing (if the DB has any). I don't know at what DB weight this becomes an issue but I managed to ruin a 37.5 kg DB by just removing it from my chest after a set of crunches. A drop from hip level may prove quite devastating to the poor little piece of iron.

Rolle

your right rolf, but when i picked it up it was only about 2 - 3 inches off the floor.