Why do you train your grip??

sammyg

Hey,

I live in Australia, & noone i know would even think about doing grip training. Whenever i tell my friends to do it, they're like "what for??". Then i don't know what to say. Could everyone please give me their reasons as to why they train their grip, & what benefits you've noticed from your training.

Thanx.

I've been asked the same thing, I do it because it's an avenue of weightlifting i have never explored and it's fun. There are answers like to get huge forearms(wrist curls), or to help you with your weightlifting or strongman routines. It is also helpfull around the house with tools, opening jars, etc. Face it most people will never care if they can close the #3 coc,thats why it's nice to get on this board and have people of like mind.

Guest kINGPIN

I do not know anyone who religously trains grip.  But ask yourself this.  Who can be truly strong if the things that link there arms to the bar (hands) ;)  are weak.  You are only as strong as your weakest link.  Also, how many people have shaken hands with someone and they have sqeezed so hard that there face is turning blue because they are trying to act like they are so tough and don't know there own strength even though you know they are making a concious effort to do it.  When your grip is strong enough you can let them have it back! :p   Now that is satisfaction.

Nearly everything in life involves your hands, strengthen them and you will be able to do it better.

The other day at the gym, when the one young

man almost closed the #2 on first try (lacked

about 1/16"), another young man was there who

can load monstrous weights onto the leg sled/press

(over 1,000). He failed to close the trainer.

My point is that grip strength is probably the only

area in which I can be, or am willing to train to

be, better than average, and once achieved, though

not 'easily' maintained, is possible to maintain with

many materials found outside the gym.

The practical uses are manifold: unscrewing bottle-tops,

using wrenches on machinery, and other common tasks.

Two characteristics seem to abandon older people:

leg strength (thus mobility), and grip (thus many common

tasks)

We buy vehicles that contain far more horsepower than

required for most common driving needs, and those of

us here pack more horsepower into our hands than is

needed, but in both cases, it is there when required.

But most importantly, and this point will evade those who are

not of our like mind, it is FUN!

Guest kINGPIN

Sybersnott sent me a load of articles a while back and in one of them (can't remember which one or its validity) it said that in a long term experiment carried out 'those with weak hands were more likely to suffer disability in old age'.  

This could be many factors like lack of activity as even golf can build hand strength (though not the amout we want).

.......something to think about there.

I work my grip to improve my grappling game...  After watching some competition tapes, I realized how many times I was saved from a bad situation when my grip wouldn't break and how many advantages you could make by simply having a strong grip and using proper leverage - especially since I'm not a particularly strong guy in other areas...  I found my grip to be naturally stronger than average (although, no where near folks around here), and I am trying to make areas where I am strong even better (capitalize on natural advantages)

I do it because I want to be really strong ALL OVER, instead of like so many guys who only bench press & curl & totally ignore their lower arms. If you look back through history, every really strong lifter had brutal grip strength, which I don't think is just a coincidence. Of any kind of strength, hand/wrist strength is probably the most useful in a real life situation.

Guest Youngguy

You know Mr. Brookfield mentioned that a tight vice like grip is needed to bend a large piece of steel. The more grip strength you can apply to that bar in holding it, is the more strength of your entire body that can be used to bend it.

Other than that. If somone gets you in a head lock you could squeez their arm with the tips of your fingers. There is endless ways training your grip can help you in everyday life.

I began to train my grip wanting to close the #3. Then, I discovered the pinch feats of Sorin and Horne and tried to pinch. I got hooked. Searching for grip improving articles, I found Tom Black's website and ... the grip page. More than that, the grip board. Knowing that Sorin and Horne were on the board, I knew it was serious stuff. I learned A LOT from guys on the board. In fact, I learned almost all I now know related to grip training.

Now, why do I work my grip ? First of all, because I like it. Secondly, to improve my overall strength (and we know that a strong grip is needed to be strong overall). Thirdly, I like to see bodybuilders' faces change when I do farmer's walk while pinching 2 x 35's in each hand. They try to do it and the plate are glued to the floor. Or a 35 lbs plate curl. Most of them can't curl a 35 dumbell. Then they know what strength is.

I stumbled upon grip training when doing mindless reps with store bought grippers.  I asked myself if there was something more to it - that's when I discovered IronMind; they sent me a catalog, and I was hooked.  I ordered all of the grippers, and found out I could only close the Trainer and #1.  That's when I decided to grip train.  I found the GripBoard by accident when doing a search on grip strength on a search engine.  I was the typical newbie - asking lots of questions, lurking a bit, and getting to know the members of this forum.  This led to me attending the AOBS dinner and meeting Steve Weiner (3Crusher).  He was the first person I had ever met in person who was a certified Captain Of Crush!  It was because of him that I am where I am today.  He inspired me to train hard and keep focused - he told me that I would one day become a COC too.  That did it - NOW I was obsessed!!!!!

Being on this forum and getting to talk to my fellow GripMasters is a real treat.  LONG LIVE THE GRIPBOARD!!!  :D

Guest DavidHW

Training-wise, I've gained an incredible amount of stability on my bench press from grip work. I can transfer power from the shoulders through to the bar much better now that my grip is stronger.

On the practical side, I no longer get hand cramps or spasms in my forearms from long work sessions with the computer mouse.

On the fun side, there's nothing like the stares you get at the gym when you do one-handed deadlifts with 275 pounds on the bar. Or when you fight the gripper machine so hard on forced negatives that you start foaming at the mouth and the skin under your fingernails starts to separate and bleed. Exhibitionistic masochism is a big part of gripping. :-)

David

:D I just stated grip work for the h*ll of it. Then I came across the grip board and I realized there is more to this than meets the eye and I was hooked. :0

I am a dental technician and steady hands are a must. Since starting serious grip training my hands have become rock steady. Must be the neuron conditioning or something. All my lifting has become a lot easier like some of you have said; because your hands are stronger you can get more power into your lifts. When I did side bends I used to have to use straps to do them now I hang on to the 95Kg/210pounds with ease.

I have also found that you get a lot of attention when you do plate pinching, plate curling etc.

:D Then them big fellas with them big biceps try and do the same and they realize they can’t.  :D

:0 MMMMM that is satisfaction!!!!! ;)  :D