My First and Final

Guest Youngguy

Guest Youngguy

I hate this place, and sick of all the arguments over the science of grippers. LOL it is really funny. I never even tried sticking my nose and point out flaws of the IM COC grippers. You train with them. Do you ever calibrate your weight plates, or bars? I don't, because I would be so busy finding tools and equipment or people to calibrate them. I am trying to say you workout not with the numbers on your plates or with the sum of the weight on the bar, but with the measure of intensity that you fell. Going by the numbers will only decrease your ability to make progress.

Going by the numbers will only decrease your ability to make progress.

You are kidding right?  On weight training, we should just ignore what's on the bar and LOAD IT UP??

Oh and one other thing, if you hate it let me know and I can make sure you never hate it again!  :hehe

I'm curious, where in this post is there a decision made?  Maybe I just missed it.  

So you're saying you just blindly through some weights on a bar and start lifting.  That's not a good decision, you will be hurt.  I can see it now,

You:  " uhhh, well, I was liftin, and uhhh, just started putting weights on. "  

Dr:  "Sir, how much did you put on the bar?"  

You:  "Uhhh, I don't know, I was feeling so good I just kept going, probably 10 plates."  

Dr. " And then you tried to squat eh?  How much have you squatted before?"  

You:  " Uhhh, I did 225 once, but I was feeling so good, I thought I could do this."  "Next thing I know my spinal cord was propelled through the wall."

I have 4 #3's in my basement right now.  If you could close the weakest one for 2-3 reps, I'd bet money you couldn't close the hardest one.  What does that tell you?  Tells me two things,

1:  I've got some work to do.  I don't give a flying flip which  handle is .0015686644mm shorter, I just have to work to close it.

2:  These #### things are different, and I want to know roughly how much.  

Testing grippers is a way to get a rough idea of where they are IP wise.  This will allow you to train smarter.  I closed the #3 through blind determination and work, period.  Most other people here did too. IMO, if you want to close harder grippers such as an Elite, Super Elite, #4, or high ip SOS's, it will help to know where you are, period!  I'm NOT saying a person can't close hard grippers without knowing what they are, look at Kinney and Sorin.   But, do you think they would've taken the opportunity had it been there?  You #### skippy!!

Guest Youngguy

ahhhhhhh, what I mean is search for what intensity you want as apose to what you are doing. Put on plates to experiment what best suits you of intensity, then work with it. When you go by numbers you are cheating yourself. "Example: Oh I just did 200 lbs. wow, Ill now aim for 130lbs." Make sure you count the plates on the bar.

If you still don't get it. 200 lbs. plates on a bar could be 179 on another. Then you just get cought up in figureing your progress. Don't reach for number in weight, but watch yourself add plates.

I garentee this is alot better for progress.

Oh wannagrip sorry about what I said, I chose the wrong words I guess. I just meant I hated the agruments. If you band me I'll understand.

After visiting some boards which I disliked,

I left them without burning a bridge.

Not every board is for every person, and

rather than try to convert 90% to

to my way of thinking, I found this

board where I agree with about 90% of what I

read, and live and let live with the other 10%.

Good luck on finding your 90%, because it certainly

canot be found in a place that you hate.

You seem to be unconcerned with plate markings,

but very concerned with gripper designations.

Arrogance is never an appealing characteristic,

particularly among the very young. Only the very

old get a pass on that attitude.

The boards that I left? I'm sure they do not miss me.

Youngguy,

Since you go by feel, I challenge you to load up 6 45's on each side of the bar for squats since you don't look at numbers. Try and do a full squat.

I bet you DO look at how much you put on the bar. You have to! ;)

ahhhhhhh, what I mean is search for what intensity you want as apose to what you are doing. Put on plates to experiment what best suits you of intensity, then work with it. When you go by numbers you are cheating yourself.

I believe that what Younguy is trying to advise is to "go by feel!"

Youngguy,

What we are finding out about the grippers is that they ARE radically different than one thinks.  Sometimes very different.

You could get a IM #2 one year, and get the same gripper another year and the difference is incredible.  I should know because it has happened to me!  I once had todd_xxxx send me HIS IM #2, because I wanted to know what the fuss was all about.  It turned out his gripper was VERY different than mine, both in weight and strength!!

To differenciate between one gripper as opposed to another, along comes PDA with gripper calibration.  Now you can have a objective difference crunched down to mere numbers - yes, my IM #2 will be 50 to 70 pounds more tension than say your IM #2.  And that's one #### of a difference!!!  :)