Parallel With #4

Guest Youngguy

Read some past posts.  There are a couple who have gotten it down to 1/4" I believe.

Parallel?  Doesn't mean squat to me.  But, that's just me.

Guest StrongerthanArne

I agree with Bill,

It means that you cannot close a very tough gripper and thereby you join the rest of the worlds population. It is especially difficulty to evaluate considering the fact that IM grippers differs quite a bit in difficulty.

Parallel on a #4 isn't close at all.  Closing a #3 means all you did was close a #3, nothing less nothing more.

By comparison, I can close my #3 with no problem.

I barely make a dent in my #4.  And getting it to parallel?  Nope.  Not even on my best day.  But hey.... I'm working on it.  :D

I can get my #4 to parallel, but I can't come close to closing my #3.  I mentioned in a previous post that a friend of mine took my #4 slightly past parallel, and he has never done any hand training (until that day).

Maybe I have an "easy" #4.  That's kind of an oxymoron I guess.

Younguy, I have a question for you and I don't mean any offense by asking it. You have achieved something at 14 that many will never do at any age. However, it seems like every time you mention an achievement you have done or seek to do, you are looking for the approval of others. Did it ever cross your mind that what other people think doesn't really matter? There are many on here who think that Joe Kinney closed a #4, and there are some who don't. Does that affect the facts? If Joe really did it no opinion to the contrary matters, he knows what he was capable of in his prime. In another thread you criticized board members for getting too involved in closing torque. Now it sounds like you are too involved in what others think, instead of training for your own personal satisfaction. That's too much like work.

Parallel is about 3/4 of an inch. You sure have an anormally low #4 baldy (based on the fact that you don't come close on the #3. Or you have one heck of  a #3 and a normal #4. I get my #4 to 1 inch and I'm very close on the #3.

Tou, I don't have a clue about how my #4 stacks up to other people's. When I say "not even close" on the #3, I mean by timeframe. I haven't tried my #3 or #4 in a few weeks, the last time I tried the #3 I got it down to about the thickness of 6 pennies (6 fit, 7 didn't).  That is between 5/16" and 3/8". That can take a LOOOONG time from what everyone here says. I have considering laying off grippers entirely for 3 months to bring my pinch up. We'll see.

Since my non-training buddy slammed that #4 slightly past parallel, I think it might be weaker than most people's #4. However, his sweep was very strong on my plate loader. Maybe some day I will get it calibrated to give me some idea.

baldy,

I went from 3/4 to 1/4 in a couple of weeks on the #3. I was positionning my pinkie entirely on the handle. Following Heath's advice and studying closely the positionning of Steve Weiner (on the Cyberpump Training hard videos), I gripped the gripper with only half of the pinkie on the handle, just enough to have a solid grip on it but low to have a better leverage.

Now, I'm stuck at 1/8 and I can tell you that the last part is the harder and the longer to get. I'm going to focus on strap holds and work some negatives in hoping that this could finally get me on the list.

Don't discourage yourself, you're on a LONG journey.

Tou, I'm just along for the ride. I am in no hurry, all this arguing we are doing about IP's has soured me a little on grippers in general. If I do any more gripper work from February until April, it will probably be with my Ivanko SuperGripper. The goals I am focusing on do not involve heavy handgrippers for a while.

I appreciate the encouragement, however. I wish you the best with your strapholds once you get your PDA gripper.

Parallel with any gripper is an absolute mile away from closing it. With the grippers the closer the handles get to each other the higher the ip gets. From open to half way on a 500ip gripper might only require 150ip and then each mm the ip progressively gets higher and higher. Some thing like putting one grain of rice on the first block of a chess board and two on the second and four on the third eight on the next until the last where there isn’t enough rice on the planet to put on it. Progressive accumulative resistance which makes closing the  #4 to parallel merely you exerting the max torque your arm can and the gripper stopping you at that point where the gripper ip meats your arms ip.

Or something like that.  :blush

Guest Youngguy

Just like when I first picked up the #3, I could barely even budge it. The 6 months later, well here I am. Accomplish a thought to be impossible goal for a teen. Parallel does not mean much, but I bet you I could acend with great results.