Ivanko Gripper

Bill Piche

The handle sits on a stop at the top of the gripper.  Close the gripper slightly and then push the handle to the left/right and forward.  This will allow the handle to clear the stop, reducing the tension on the springs for removal.

Here's how I do it Wanna,with your weak hand push up a bit from the middle of the spring,with your index and thumb. With your strong hand push the top or hook of the spring up! Hard to describe but I found this method always works for me!! It's a bitch ain't it!! Of course you could do it the easy way and use Jim's method!! ;)  :D

I would say removing a spring without some tool (vise grip/plyers?) would surely be a feat of hand strenght!   :)

I have never tried that hard to remove one of the two springs on mine with the thought that I have more wieght increments to choice between having both.

Why do you want to remove one?

Ya see, it's not for me. It's for my son.

I did slip it by the notch. Still not enough clearance.  Tried a screw driver and got nowhere.

On a related note.

I worked grip earlier today before I got it.

I tried it myself (it was really for my son) and holy cow does it show my SWEEP is weak.  

Anyone else notice this?

I will be using it myself!

Wanna, my apologies,in retrospect I misunderstood your question, my method is for moving the springs up or down only,Jim's method would be the best way of actually removing the spring, don't try to use tools to do this guys you'll damage the gripper and/or the spring!!

I have mine in my grubby little mitts right now and if the springs are facing away from me, I push the handle to the right slightly it moves forward of the notch and relieves the pressure therefore allowing removal of springs! It might work on yours.    

Sheesh! Are we great intellectuals here or what!?(speaking for myself of course!) :D

Hey WannaGrip,

Was this a SuperGripper purchased from Weightlifters Warehouse?  Just curious....

Guest Luke Reimer

Wannagrip,

I wish I'd been watching to see how my brother added a

spring to my Supergripper. I was snacking while he took his

turn at it, but from what he says his approach sounds similar

to what mine was, only less gentle. We were working a

screwdriver across the the far handle to pull out on the far

spring-hook, while bending the body of the spring out

toward the side. My efforts were fairly close but not quite

successful. My brother said that he found it really difficult,

and when the spring went on it did so with a loud snap.  If

anyone knows an easier, do tell!

Wannagrip, I think you need to use intensity, as apose to what you are doing.  I garantee this will work.  Please, no agruments.

I just did it with just my hands and a cloth.  First, I noticed that the side of the handle towards your hand when gripping is not as thick as the other side.  This is the side I applied pressure too.  I put the spring loosely in the notch and with both of my thumbs I pressed on the rubber spring cover.  Once I had the rubber cover on the top of the notch I grabbed the spring and pulled it the rest of the way off.  The other side of the spring simply fell off.  You guys need a screwdriver?  Maybe this is a feat of strength, my thumbs are pretty sore.

Geez Tom, I figured you would scare that sucker off with it knowing full well that their friends in the HW store run and hide when you walk down the isle looking for VICTIMS! :)

I was able to put the springs low..one off the notch so my son could get a good close.  It's harder than the cheesy K-mart gripper and lighter than the Trainer. He's been walking around everywhere he goes in the house and slamming a few as he does other things. :hehe

Geez, Wannagrip! Did you break all your Christmas toys the same day. As you found, there really is no need to remove springs. Here, we do it the right way - we send them to Tom!

Actually, we remove them the same way they are assembled, except in reverse, of course. Unstop the handle, slide the springs to the non-hinge end, insert a block between the frame and the finger grip, use the proper spring stretcher to lever the spring toward the outside and pop it up. If it takes more than five seconds you are holding your tongue wrong.

You can make do with the brake spring removal tool for automotive drum brakes. If you don't have a correct tool for this job, you need to be as tough as Tom.

John

I am curious to know what certified #3 closers have been able to do on the super gripper (assuming they own one) I am able to close it with the springs in the 12 and 7 positions.

I felt much weaker on the ISG in general than with "standard grippers". It still feels to me like I am shutting a gripper in an inverse position when I use that ISG. I really like using it, though, and am concentrating on higher reps (6-8) per set and gradually adjusting the tension up.

That is a great idea for your son, too. My son is only 1 but when he gets older that would be something he can do if he wanted. The ISG is so configurable anyone can use it with benefit. Crush monsters like Heath would just need to order 4 extra springs with it.

As to your original question, I haven't tried to remove a spring from mine yet.  Can your boy close it with springs at 1 and 3?