Coin Bending?

Roper

I'd like to try one of those english pennies, they def sound possible. But then the material they're made of will make a huge difference even if they aren't that thick.

Also, from my post above I just want to make completely clear that I am not diminishing Stanless Steel's feat of bending a penny, nor do I think he is faking or cheating it in any way. I've been working on pennies for about 3.5 years so I know that a lot of time and pain goes into it.

Vid???

There is absolutely no way that a video could confirm a penny bend. For one thing my thumbs cover almost the entire penny during the bend. I did bend it in front of a half dozen people at the last MI grip championships. I plan of giving another one a go this year if you'd like to come see, hopefully getting it a little farther this time. You can even bring the penny, it has to be kind of a newer one but you can mark it or brand it or whatever if you want.

It doesn't generate a lot of talk because honestly I don think grip people are that interested in coin bending even though regular people seem to be- there haven't been many threads about it here over the years, and even in the Stanless documentary thread there wasn't much discussion. I think there are other people out there who could do it almost right away. Anyone who can easily double a bottle cap is right there.

I seem to recall Brookfield suggesting a coin bend was impossible in Mastery of Hand Strength. It's been about 10 years since I read the book, but that could be why there is not much interest in the grip world.

If you can find a pre 1965 quarter, it will be 90% silver and 10% copper. I think it would be easier to bend. You'll be spending around $8 for it though, becuase of the silver content.

I seem to recall Brookfield suggesting a coin bend was impossible in Mastery of Hand Strength. It's been about 10 years since I read the book, but that could be why there is not much interest in the grip world.

Well that's an interesting theory but we've seen a lot of impossible things fall since that book was written. Back then a red nail was an unreachable goal, now its a warmup for novices.

Jeff definitely bent a penny. I watched. Jeff is a friend and an honest man.

I saw Jeff bend a penny at the last MI contest. I think he is being too modest. It was an awesome feat if strength.

It doesn't generate a lot of talk because honestly I don think grip people are that interested in coin bending even though regular people seem to be- there haven't been many threads about it here over the years, and even in the Stanless documentary thread there wasn't much discussion.

The Trailer for Strongman, at 38 seconds, you see a very strange Truman Capote type character, and he appears for a few seconds. He is only in one scene in the movie. He is some type of business manager who got Stan a couple of overseas television gigs. In the scene, he is trying to explain to Stan that audiences want things in a show that are visually impressive. Stan is trying to listen, but he is very proud of "penny bending". Not in the clip, but in the movie, the guy says something to Stan along the lines of "you can bend a penny in Madison Square Garden and it is not going to mean jack shit". Some years back at AOBS, Stan said his hands were sweaty, and he failed to bend a penny at an AOBS dinner. He was never asked to perform again.

I don't think it is a feat that many people appreciate.

At any rate, just for a few seconds, at 38 seconds, you see the guy lecturing Stan, just before he later triest to emphasize to go with visual feats, and to drop the penny-bending business:

http://www.strongmanfilm.com/trailer.html

Edited by Hubgeezer

To be clear - I am not doubting Jeff's bend. Given the other things I have seen him do in person - bend an 80d spike, put the inch overhead, hit a flag at over 200lbs - I know he is a strong dude.

To be clear - I am not doubting Jeff's bend. Given the other things I have seen him do in person - bend an 80d spike, put the inch overhead, hit a flag at over 200lbs - I know he is a strong dude.

Oh we're good Scott no worries. I was thinking the other day, with you trying all those different scotches, that we need some scott styles drunk posting!

I don't mind doubts, I've always wanted to do something that people thought was worth doubting!

Drunken interneting is always a good time.

I used to work on a coin collecting website. I just ordered 8 of those 31mm english pennies from one of the forum members. I don't think I have a chance at a US penny, but I'll give one of the old english pennies a go.

I didn't tell the coin collector I was buying them in hopes of seeing penny tacos...

Scott, we all know you are a good guy! You are an honorary Michigan Grip member. Looking back at the thread, it seemed like I was giving you attitude- not my intention. I was just trying to emphasize that Jeff was for real.

As for drunk posting, that is my norm. Most of my edits are making sure I don't post stupid shit.

I got the english pennies. They are wide, but they are also kind of thick. Compared to a US cent, it's like a 12" spike vs. a 60d nail. I certainly am not able to bend them.

Old British pennies are 1.25'' in diameter and the thickness of a US quarter. UK decimal pennies are very much the same size as the US 1 cent coins which are possible to kink a little. I read recently that Breitbart could bend a US silver dollar. I am skeptical of all coin bends other than that of a US 1 cent coin. Magicians and Uri Geller have no problems at all bending coins. :grin:

How much wrist involvement is used in coin bending? From what I understand it's all downward pressure with the thumb.

That is the penny. It is about the same diameter has a half dollar, around as thick as a quarter, and mostly copper. Think you can bend one?
I think it might require a technique adjustment, to take advantage of the extra leverage. I can't yet bend the older copper us pennies so copper seems to be tougher to bend than zinc. I don't know but I doubt I could bend one without training with them, where did you buy them?

HWS: No wrist involvement the way I bend them, there could be other techniques but I can't see how you could get the wrist involved.

I could send you a couple in an envelope. PM me an address.

I just posted in the buy/sell forum of a coin collecting message board. Collectors-society.com was the place I used.

Thanks man, I'll trace em out and cut out some sheet steel. Maybe if I can bend 3-4 layers I'll have an idea if these are possible or not.

Edited by AP

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing, not a dent. Not really surprising, it will take a while of training before I can see if these are possible for me. It did highlight for me that I need more thumb power. The size of these coins takes away the pain factor that you get with US pennies making it clear that I just don't have enough power yet. I think someone with big thumbs - thumbs too big to fit comfortably on a us penny - might be able to put more power into these than I can.