anvil strikes

Guest Boog495

Guest Boog495

i found this tidbit while surfing. the author wrote this stating he got it from Dr. Ken Leistner. you take a rubber mallet and strike an anvil 100 times in one minute. i do not have an anvil, but i do have a piece of round stock that measures 8 inches across and is 7 inches long. (weighs right at 100lbs.) my mallet has a 3in. face. it is a fast and furious movement. my whole hand ,fingers, wrist and forearm were worked intensley. the mallet had a life of it`s own and i really had to work to keep it in my hand. no pain either, as the rubber absorbed the impact. anyone have thoughts if this is of benefit? the author said it is great for overall hand strength. i guess one just has to try it for a while and see.

Id be interested in hearing more about this and I'm wondering what kind of affect it would have on the nerves of the hand/ wrist etc. Also what impact on the elbow....I would imagine there is some shock absobtion going on ...sort of a rebound effect? Does the hand ever get tingles in it like it's falling asleep?

One of the trees in our yard fell down in a storm over the holidays & after I chopped it up, the #1 was noticably easier to close. I'm sure that works the same way as the mallet thing.

One of the trees in our yard fell over in a storm over the holiddays & after I chopped it up, the #1 was noticably easier to close. I'm sure that works the same way as mallet thing.

Guest Boog495

i agree the results could be the same but the physical motion of each are not.. with an axe, you are using both hands, arms your back, hips and legs. the speed of the axe being swung and subsequent impact gives a good wrist workout, at least this is what ted williams (of the boston red sox) attributed to his ability to mash a baseball. he stated, he swung an axe all through his youth.

i feel the mallet movement is very isolated to just the hand, wrist and forearm.. i plan to tweak this movement by using  2lb and 4lb deadblow hammers... my rubber mallet weighs about 20ozs.. so maybe using the heavier deadblows will give a more tougher result..

keep swinging!!! :)

Guest Boog495

Bane.. i have only started this movement ( 3 sessions) 9 days ago...  so can not give an account on any physical drawbacks to the movement. i can say that the beauty of a rubber mallet is that there is absolutely no rebound what-so-ever. you hit your steel surface and the mallet sticks solid, untill you draw it back... as the article said, 100 times per minute,and it is a vigourous minute. the article did not give recommendations for how many sets of minutes to give progress, i am doing trial and error. it does make your hand .fingers ,wrist and forearm come alive though. felt no elbow effects so far..

i will be trying deadblow hammers.. these are hammers used to pound metal for shaping.. as well, they too have no rebound effects.. they do come in higher weights than your standard rubber mallet, so i`m hoping they will give a much tougher workout. in theory they should.