Millenium Challenge Dumbell

Nathan Say

Hi Ya, the short answer is one person (db partner Alan Radley) does a kind of snatching motion which lifts the db an inch clear. However, he isn't holding it at this point.

Thats as close as it gets. Those who have failed and that you might know include me, David Horne and ex Mr Universe Bill Richardson. A certain Mr Yates touched it once, laughed and said 'maybe another time'.

One of the four is owned by Wag Bennett (mate of Arnold S's) and he has it sitting in his gym. Hundreds have tried it there and at shows and special functions I have taken it to. None, like the Inch, have actually lifted it even one inch off the floor.

Of the better attempts there are three. All three (myself, DH and a guy from the crowd at a Mr South Coast - previous winner years ago of a grip competition) have only managed to get one end off the floor and had the other skidding around on the carpet. This is what happened on my first attempt with the Inch.

Ps: Thanks for asking

No is a short answer. I did have but not any more. I have (I think here - try searching) put up stats etc. There has also been 2 articles/letters in Milo and one in Ironman (Aussie version) as well as stuff in myn magazine.

Mobster, so those that own a PDA Inch DB handle and have lifted 172+ now have a higher goal I guess. And from what you have said about the Inch, don't be surprised if it feels much harder solid than plate loaded.  I know that you have used various thick handled dumbells, but have you gotten a chance to feel PDA's yet to compare?

Also, how is your Rolling Thunder progress going? If you keep it up, IronMind will have to remove that caption in the catalog saying "is there a man in the world who can one-hand deadlift 300 lbs with this handle?".  Maybe next year they will have to up that 30 lbs or so.

Ha I can only hope so. I need to break the 120 kilo barrier and will be trying again real soon. As for the PDA, being a Brit - no I haven't. Pullums here make a good un and of course sell Ironminds handles too. Thats where I got my 2.5 incher (ooo he's so crude he he)

Prof. DesBonnet's physical culture school had a thick-handled unbalanced railway axle that weighed 102.5kg (226lbs) & was 60mm (2 3/8") thick. Until Apollon, only 3 other guys had lifted it off the floor, Leon See, E Vandenocke & John Grunn Marx. One day Marx was in the gym with Apollon & deadlifted the bar & told Apollon that he was the only one who could lift it. Apollon flipped right out & grabbed the bar with one hand & pulled it to about head height. He couldn't have had a hook grip because of the thickness of the bar, so it slipped, flew over his shoulder & landed 10ft behind him. The Millenium Challenge Dumbell is a replica of that bar. That lift by Apollon really seems almost unbelievable since some of the strongest lifters in the world can't even get both ends off the ground. David Willoughby says it's still one of the 'mightiest exhibitions of gripping power ever recorded'. :0