Anybody skip?

Fuel Crusher

I see Ironmind are selling a new skip rope, it's something I've never tried before, anybody here skip to warm up? Would it be good/bad for the wrists? Also for anyone who skips, whats it like on the knee's? mine can be a touch dodgy, although I can't imagine there's much impact.

Guest Luke Reimer

I usually do some skipping in the winter to take the place of

my running. I've been doing it purely for a cardio workout but

I've noticed that if I put weights on my wrists while I skip I'll

need to take them off after the first half hour, or the fatigue

in my wrists and shoulders tends to become an impediment

and trips happen more frequently.

Guest Dimitri

The amount of impact is going to depend on your weight.I used to jump rope 2-3 times a week for a half hour at a crack about 20 years ago.Excellent cardio.........not sure how my joints would hold up nowadays,since I'm about 100lbs heavier.Every boxing trainer I've ever met warned against jumping on a cement or concrete floor,wooden is the way to go.

Guest kINGPIN

Careful with your knees for skipping FC.  Watch your form and careful how high you jump.  You only want to be jumping about an inch or 2 off the floor.  My opinion is stick with a normal speed rope.  Kind of like a piece of plastic wire.  I got mine from a place called the Pysical COmpany which also sells a lot of rehab stuff.  

I use it in the garden to warm up and cool down and for the first time ever my calves are actually putting on a bit of muscle.  I can do calve raises with a lot of weight for reps but have never had any calves to speak of so this is a miricle.  I have'nt got time now because I am going to the scrappy to get grip and car stuff, but when I do I will post a few links for you in this thread.  Watch this space.

Thanks for the replies people, If I have a go I think it'd be for warm up rather than cardio workouts, may buy a cheaper rope than Ironminds for the trial though :) .

I'll keep my eye open for those links kINGPIN.

Cheers all.

The first time I saw Paul Anderson perform, he skipped rope for several periods of a few minutes each before being announced.  He then took the stage, cleaned 405 and pressed it twice.  Then, he squatted 700 for 8 reps, essentially without effort.  I saw him do the same thing several years later: skip rope for a while, go out and squat 885.  There must be something useful to it because rope skipping was the only warmup he took either time.  Other people have confirmed that was his way of minimizing the total volume of weight lifted when he was giving 500 demonstrations per year.

Guest kINGPIN

One thing that is good about skipping is the fact that it build bone strength/density.  Obviously weights do aswell, but the light inpact does wonders for you.