What should i buy??

sammyg

Hey,

Can anyone tell me some things i should buy from a hardware store that can improve my grip?? Also any bits n' pieces i'll need to make some kinda gripping machine/tool.

I just found out that i can get a discount at this hardware store, so i thought i'd betta take up the offer.

Thanx.

Actually, the local hardware store is really NOT the place to be shopping for grip related stuff..... BUT if your persistant, I'll give it a try.

A piece of thick tubing (2" to 2 1/2" to start).  You'll use this for thick bar lifts.

A thick piece of lumber board (for pinch gripping).  Get the screw to attach weights for it.

A sledgehammer (for wrist movements), an anvil (for gripping and lifting), baseball/softball (if they have these items - to develop your "claw" strength; get the screws for driving through to do lifting), a wheelbarrow (heavy enough to do some movements talked about in the book, "Mastery Of Hand Strength"), buckets (MOHS), pliers (MOHS), thick rope (MOHS), nails of various lenghts and thicknesses for bending (talk to Tom black about this), a small sanding block (to sand down wooden parts), grip putty (if they have some - self explainatory) and Quikcrete (to make those hollow bars more solid for thick bar work).

These items were off the top of my head; if I can think of any more, I'll post again in this thread.  

To be truthful, you should place an order to IronMind for your grip stuff.  Order the GripBoard primer, "Mastery Of Hand Strength" by John Brookfield (it's required reading for this forum).  It's the things that IronMind doesn't have that warrants a trip to the trusty hardware store!  :)

Guest danreeves

Local hardware store near me has lengths of threaded bolt material, (Don't ask the hardness, I have no clue), so you can cut them to size for bending. Also look for square key stock (square metal bars of varying thickness). The key stock metal seems like its pretty tough stuff. Tryed bending a 3/8 thick piece, 10 inches long, got nowhere.

Also you can make a cheap pinch grip block from a scrap end of landscape timber or 4x4 and a screw-in eye bolt. Screw the bolt into the wood (a good grip exercise in itself), then hook a carbiner or rope or whatever to hold the weights on. Total cost on mine was $1.50 for the eye and a safety link to attach to the pini. Block is 31/2" by 4".

Cheap is good!!!!!!!! :D

Another thing you can do is poke around the hardware store and look for items that can help you in your training.  Anything that you can wrap your hands around could be used.  Hand tools and various impliments immediately come to mind.  I picked up some nice handles that are used for sledgehammer/shovel/rakes - you can attach weights to that, and PRESTO!!! - you have another grip tool to train your hand and wrist.  Let your imagination soar!!!  :)

i work at a hardware store when i'm home from school, and as far as grip is concerned it's a blast.  i get to play with the sledge hammers, there are all kinds of boards and such layin around to pinch, and i can always find some steel or nails layin on the ground to bend.  just go look around and use your imagination.  the possibilities are endless.