Grip Gathering A Success

Steve B.

Just thought i'd post a little about the Grip Gathering.

It went real well .Some noteable things i remember are Handgripper man certifing on the #3,Devlin bent a red nail but got here a little late to certify as R.Strossen had already left,Brett Jones a deadlifting machine at 185lbs he probably was the strongest guy pound for pound here and bent everything in site,Clay Edgin what can you say the guys incredible he rolled frying pans,tore phone books,burst a can of pop with his hands and out deadlifted everyone need i say more,Zach Passman the only guy to pinch lift the challenge steel slab a 77lb. about 14"x14

x 1 1/2"and rubbed in by adding some magnetic weights to it,Meatloafs 425lb.neck lift,Dave pinching and lifting a 50lb.hex block(1/2/ a 100 D.B.) with two fingers and thumb,Banana Fingers right in there with everyone he has bowling pin forearms,Myself i got a p.r.of 81lbs. on the pinch block,I know i left out some people hopefully some of you other guys here can fill in the blanks for me.

I would like to thank Lance at brute strength a grip board member for sending us some cool grip toys to play with.I'm sure there will be pictures to follow as there were a lot taken.All in all a great time.

Edited by Steve B.

I had a great time. Getting the chance to meet up with a bunch of Gripboard guys, Pavel Tsatsouline showing up and spending some time playing with all the great grip toys--as well as sharing some insights to armwrestling and zercher lifting.

Brett Jones gave about a dozen kettlebell demos--doing some juggling, and agility drills as well as cleaning up my form in some of the important movements. He also did some great pulling on the 2" bar, sticking in the rotation with guys that outweighed him by at least 50 lbs. Brett and Pavel also both closed one of the many #3s present.

Clay brought many phonebooks, and they didn't last past 2 pm...I think everyone tore at least one. Filled up Steve B's recycling bin.

Handgripperman did an easy #3 cert, Meatloaf had no trouble getting the Inch (real one, painted pretty red) overhead on a number of attempts. He also brought a (I think) galvanized pipe that is filled with concrete--about 3 1/2-4 feet long, and I'm guessing 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Something like 130 lbs, and tough to manage in any position.

The RT tug-of-war is a fantastic time, as (at least) one of the competitors inevitably ends up on his ass after losing his grip. There were several hard falls, many captured on photo and video.

Randy Strossen came by with some favors that were raffled off, including a new Milo, #3, and some other stuff.

Devlin bent a red out of NOWHERE, and avoided poking a hole in his hand.

Gorilla Hands (Dave) lifted a big 50lb hex block with just 2 fingers, and made a mockery of a number of thick phonebooks as well.

Thanks again to Steve and his wife for hosting a great time in the driveway--and for feeding and watering all of us throughout the day.

I didn't take any photos, but there were lots of cameras there--hope to see some shots posted soon.

Edited by Zpassman1

I just got home after another 350 miles on the road. What an awesome time! Thanks again to Steve and his family for their hospitality.

I'm glad I didn't have to lug any more of those phonebooks home, but I didn't think they would get torn as quick as they did! It was cool of Strossen to come by and bring some toys for us, and Pavel was great to talk to. I got to Steve's around 8:30 and was the first one there, despite Porkbone's claims of being there by then too.

It was great to meet everyone who I had not met before, and of course great to see some old friends. I learned so much this weekend. Brett taught me how to properly swing a kettlebell, Pavel showed us all armwrestling techniques, Zach held court on deadlift demonstrations, I must have repeated my instructions for tearing a phone book 100 times, everyone was talking about techniques and tips that have helped them and I must have heard "Hmm, that's a good idea" about 100 times.

Pavel showed up and crushed a #3 without a warmup. I missed Gorilla's mastery of the 50lb hex head but heard the applause it received. I think everyone there ripped a phone book or two, including Steve's teenage son who fought through a 1" book easily.

Steve's lawn was the crash site for many overhead lifts that were being dropped, such as Meat's presses of the Inch. There are about 50 craters in his yard now! Meat's neck lift of 425 was solid and he is good for more very soon. Guys were just crushing #3's all day long. Handgripperman must have smashed the RB260 fifty times before and after his #3 certification. Bananafingers didn't even really need a set to smash his #3 either.

After most everyone left, Meat, Handgripperman, Steve and I did some quarter squats in the rack. Handgripper has some more core work to do before he can get into the real heavy stuff. I bowed out after lifting 1025 off the pins to lockout and thought I could have had 1205 but couldn't manage to budge it. Meat locked it out twice, then added chains and dumbbells to the bar and I think just missed 1300-something.

Then Steve dug out an old double denim Inzer shirt that someone had left behind in his gym and we tried some shirted benching. Man, that is a whole different feel than benching raw. I failed with 315 raw but got 365 strong with a shirt off 2 boards. Today I have bruises and such on my biceps and triceps. It was a pretty cool learning experience though.

Zach, Clay, Steve et al...

Thank you for a great day - gatherings like this are what its all about - sharing a great time, knowledge and feats.

Clay is simply amazing, Zach is a beast, SteveB is a trip (Full Metal Jacket :D )

All the grip guys there - bananafinger, gorilla , supersqueeze, kingcrusher, porkbone devlin, and everyone else (sorry if I left anyone out - please chime in)

a great time.

#3's were getting crushed all over the place - blobs lifted, books ripped, etc....

Thanks Steve B.

Brett

Just to add a bit to the posts above:

In attendance - Clay, Porkbone, SteveB, Banafingers, King crusher, supersqueeze, Gorilla hands, handgripperman, Meatloaf, Devlin, Zpassman1,

JeffB. and others....

Meatloaf had a log C&P PR - over 250# - awesome!! and the neck lift was just SICK!

I am forgetting some things but what a day!

Brett

:flame GOOD GOING TO THE CALIFORNIA CREW NICE GRIPPING AND LIFTING .HOPE SOMEONE TOOK SOME VIDEO TO POST ??? :D

First of all thanks Steve for throwing everything together. I had a great time and got invaluable experience with some of the equipment that I had only read about. I will definitely be using the new info for figuring out my future grip workouts and figuring out what toys to get next.

And to all who were not there, I would have to say, you missed out for sure!

Oh yeah, did I mention the atmosphere! It pumped me up so much that I bent a IM Red Nail on my first attempt ever! I also bent a grade 8 for the first time ever and didn't even use paper! I was pretty happy with that. Thanks to Zpassman1 I got to see one done (one the that was significantly cut down) which gave me the courage to try it, and thanks to Handgripper Man for put me up to it, or I would have never tried.

When are we going to have another one?!?!

Devlin, I think the next one may be in February at the FitExpo in Pasadena. You're right about the atmosphere. You get that many grip goons in one place and the energy just goes through the roof. It would be hard not to hit PR's. Great job on that red bend too - both the G8 and the red were crushed way down, so it looks like you're ready to start cutting those things down man.

Smitty,

This may be an annual event so start saving your money now to get here.

We'll put you up here for the night.

Talk about a bunch of super strong guys all under one roof!

Strong meeting obviously.

I really love those events.

All I could do on my way home from the grip gathering was bask in the amazement that i had received such a wonderful gift from God. I almost felt guilty for having such an amazing time this side of eternity! It was a true blessing and I am very blessed and lucky to have been invited and taken part of this gathering.

I was extra happy because I hit a PR in almost whatever i touched! As did everyone else!

Thanks to all who showed up.

It was too bad Odd couldn't show up (he had surgery on his gums the day before) because that would have been even more awesome (if that was possible)!

God be with you all.

And God Bless the Gripboard.

Edited by Meat Loaf

Amen to that!!!

Meat is right, everyone was hitting PR's... I just got over being sick and didn't think I'd be able to do anything... as soon as I got there and saw what was going on I went from feeling like a little weak bastard to doing things I've never done before.

Now that I've felt it, I'm going to shoot for that mental state every time I train.

Hopefully Dr. Strossen will post up some pics on the IronMind site. I know he took a shot of Meat holding the inch over his head hoppin around on one leg.. Brett bending a huge piece of steel.. and Clay performing amazing feats every few minutes

now I just gotta let my forearms recover

Jeff B

Hopefully Dr. Strossen will post up some pics on the IronMind site.

There is a blurb up on the Ironmind site now along with a photo.

T!

Now that I've felt it, I'm going to shoot for that mental state every time I train.

See that? That's the reason I've travelled 13,000 miles this year to grip functions. It's a huge shot of adrenaline that lasts a couple months. By late January we will start making noises about getting back together again.

Steve deserves a lot of thanks and recognition for opening up his house to all of us and then footing the bill for about 15 pizzas to feed us. Thank you, Steve!

Personally, I was behaving pretty sensibly until I was actually in the act of leaving. At that point Porkbone says "hey, let's arm wrestle ... common, I'm losing to everybody!!" Well, after Porkbone came three very long and painfull matches with Meatloaf. Each one seemed like it must have lasted a minute. I couldn't straighten either arm without pain in my elboe. Then a smilling Gorilla Hands says, hey, give me a try". No way!! I had enough sense left to leave without suffering permanent damage from Gorilla.

Normally I'm pretty reserved but the atmosphere there was definately one of active participation. It was impossible not to have fun and partake in a bit of everything, whether sensible or not. Thanks, everyone, for a great time.

Mike M.

I don't know about everyone else but my hands swelled up the next day i could'nt get my wedding ring on,my forearm tendons are acheing i had to use straps today in my workout something i rarely do,i have to hen pec the keyboard on the computer,But i love the feeling knowing i worked hard enough to make my hands and forearms feel this painfull.

Steve, what kind of strength gains do you think you could get if you worked out this hard all the time? I'm not saying that you haven't been working hard before, but I think we all learned something new about how far we could push ourselves.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Clay and Steve B...

I am glad I am not the only sore and suffering person out there - Yep - sore from head to toe :help - but improving! :cool

The combo of spike bending, RED bending, grippers, blobs, DL, Zirchers, telephone books, cards, etc.... is powerful stuff - oh yeah and the Kettlebells and arm wrestling etc...

Pushing the limits and having a day long "training" session is awesome for forcing progress - but only periodically - a steady diet of such training will result in injury and overtraining.

Again - a huge Thanks to Steve and all the attendees - What a day!

Brett

Clay,

My hand strength should go up considerably if i keep the pressure on like last weekend.Right now i'm learning to walk before i run so to speak as i am just a novice in the grip game when it comes to knowledge and technique.I will be focusing on grippers for a while and get going on the KTA program.Hey if most of you guys at the gathering can crush that #3 there is hope for an old man like me.I will comence training when my hands feel a little better.

Hey Hey Heeeey. It's about time I finally got a chance to get on here and post a little bit about the meetup. First of all a thousand thanks go out to Steve B. and his family for hosting an awesome event. They really went out of their way to put this thing together and thought of everything we could possibly need and more. You just could not ask for better hosts.

I was worried about having the event outside and early because I my hands generally feel weak when theyre cold. But the gods smiled down on Gripdom that day, gloriously sunny and warm.

I got to try so many new things and see so many pieces of equipment I'd only read about all on one day, it as just plain awesome. I had been getting bored and lax with my training lately, and this was exactly what I needed to ignite a fire in me again. I'm ready to go! I had never seen an inch DB, a real blob, handled a block weight, lifted with an apollons axle, torn a phonebook, or done a log lift (and many many other things) Before dec 11. And other than Devlin, I hadnt met any of the people at the event until that day either, and they were all absolutely welcoming, cool as hell, and eager to share all their toys and knowledge. For me to list every noteworthy feat I witnessed there would take pages, and a lot more time than I have at this point, so lets just say I was blown away a hundred times over, and I can't wait to do it all again!

i had a fantastic time and want to say first and foremost. thank you to steve b. all the food,drinks and the use of your gym/home was a great gift to all.

everyone was nice and was a great athlete.

i had fun trying new things and seeing everyone in person.

i cant belive the difference in #3 grippers (and #2 grippers for that matter)

clay or meat handed me a #3 when i first arrived and it was barely harder then my hg250 it seemed. i closed it pretty easy.

and gorrillahands(i think) had a mutant #2 that by the end of the day when i tried it i couldent close it!!

i tried an impromptu cert on the avg 3 kevin did and missed,and like him,did not want to cert on the easy 3.

someone said we have to much pride for that. lol

i did do 219 lbs on the hand dyno which i was happy with. only 190 with my left.

it was a great time and i received invaluble training tips that i can use in the future from a few of the guys. thanks to all for a good and enjoyable time.

p.s. we need a full list with the persons real name and screen name so we can put a name with a face.

i recognize most but not all. so could we put that up??? with pics!!!

ok later.

mark.

King Crusher,

I think your thinking of Bananna Finger's mutant #2, but I guess Gorrilla Hands is close enough.

Devlin