Overcrushing With A Loading Pin

pdoire

I'm just sitting back thinking about how we file grippers to use for

overcrushing. The gripper handles are 3/4" diameter each, so closed

they are 1 1/2" diameter. If you filed 1/4" off each handle (severe I know)

you would have 2 x 1/2" handles or 1" when grippers are fully closed.

What if you used a standard plate loading pin (1" diameter) and reached straight out at it and tried to lift it for time....like timed OC's. The slick finish would make

it even tougher. Seems this would be an effective way to work that last

part of the crush.

Anyone heard of or tried this idea?

Edited by pdoire

The only problem with that is when you are getting towards some serious weights, it seems that emphasis on the biceps and shoulder come into play, hindering what your actual goal is, while a gripper is only ounces in weight.

The only problem with that is when you are getting towards some serious weights, it seems that emphasis on the biceps and shoulder come into play, hindering what your actual goal is, while a gripper is only ounces in weight.

Good Point!

What if it was loaded to beyond what your arms or shoulders could lift...so they don't come into play...and then you could focus solely on the grip...till say your

hand slipped...upward I guess?

Edited by pdoire

Not that bad of an idea, however, your still curling that pin and are wasting a lot of energy on those curling muscles... :whacked

Paul, I have a scrounged 22" long, 1" diameter v-bar and tried your idea this way: sat on a chair so my thighs were parallel to the floor and rested the working forearm on the same side thigh.

The v-bar was on a few plates to raise the top about 4" above my knee. I loaded 5 Kg. plates onto the bar so the bar was as close as possible to my knee. I grabbed the bar with my thigh supporting my arm down to the wrist and lifted just enough to clear the floor. As I went up in weight, I used my calf muscles in a partial heel raise to help lift the weight. Didn't feel any bicep or shoulder stress.

I felt this to be a useful exercise, like a reverse v-bar lift. Definitely worked the grip and maybe the wrist even moreso. Also tried it with the heel of the hand still on the knee, which took some stress off the wrist. I think it might help work the lower fingers for the crush, perhaps even more useful for wrist strength for levering/bending.

Try it this way and let me know what you think.

Paul, I have a scrounged 22" long, 1" diameter v-bar and tried your idea this way: sat on a chair so my thighs were parallel to the floor and rested the working forearm on the same side thigh.

The v-bar was on a few plates to raise the top about 4" above my knee.  I loaded 5 Kg. plates onto the bar so the bar was as close as possible to my knee.  I grabbed the bar with my thigh supporting my arm down to the wrist and lifted just enough to clear the floor.  As I went up in weight, I used my calf muscles in a partial heel raise to help lift the weight.  Didn't feel any bicep or shoulder stress.

I felt this to be a useful exercise, like a reverse v-bar lift.  Definitely worked the grip and maybe the wrist even moreso.  Also tried it with the heel of the hand still on the knee, which took some stress off the wrist.  I think it might help work the lower fingers for the crush, perhaps even more useful for wrist strength for levering/bending.

Try it this way and let me know what you think.

Chuck,

That sounds like a way it may work without the stress on the bi's and delt's

discussed here. Alternative overcrushing with existing tools...I like it and

haven't even tried it myself yet.

Have not tried but, to make this less of a bicep/arm lift...Make to bar extra slippery. Less weight can be handled and more crush would be required. Things like gloves, socks and such would do this or putting some butter, grease or water on the implement would work as well. The glove or sock method is cheaper and less messy though...

Just a suggestion...

-Keith