Upcoming Gun Trigger Test

raziel

So my friend has an upcoming "trigger test" for his law enforcement training. His description of the test sounded like he needed to squeeze a trigger 10 times as fast as he can. I'm not 100% familiar with the whole process or setup, but he left a message on my phone asking for help with training.

Anyone have experience with this test and train for it? What are some beneficial exercises to work on?

My friend currently has the trainer and #1 CoC. So I was thinking some two finger closes with those might help. Perhaps balling up newspaper in his hand as fast as possible would be good as well.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hmmm, sounds interesting.

I would have a search for 'Gripmasters' they are a training device for climbing but they lend themselves well to this kind of 'trigger action' training.

Good luck to your friend.

Digz.

Since strength is not an issue...speed is.

I would think you could put a store bought gripper in a clamp and try to

mimic the distance of the trigger pull. Then train to squeeze it as fast

and repeatedly as he can in a given time. His training would consist of

beating the number of squeezes in that amount of time. Specificity

is what he needs for a certain and particular feat.

Pulling a trigger is pretty different than using a gripper, even if you only use a finger or two.

The best thing the guy can do is pull a trigger for 10 pull bursts. Trigger time is such a small movement that I doubt its really trainable beyond the initial nural adaptations that happen quickly at first. Good luck.

I went through and passed all the physical testing for the police department in my city. If the trigger pull your friend is doing was anywhere near the same as what I did, and it sounds like it is, no one had a problem that I saw and it was really very easy. Even the slightest least trained looking individuals had no problem at all. Still good for him to be prepared and not come in cold, but I don't think he needs to woodshed too much for that one particular test. As was mentioned already, probably just hitting the range with the firearm that will be used and practicing will be enough.

Thanks for the advice. I actually have a gripmaster I bought several years back. If it's not too late, I'll ship the device up to Jersey and tell him to practice on that. I assume he gets some range training in already, so the gripmaster seems like the best supplemental training.

I have a 40 round magazine for a mini 14 and man my finger is DONE by the end of that!!

I agree that the best way to prepare for it is by doing it.

Since a lot of marksman certifications require close range speed shots this would kill two birds with one stone.

Sweet something I can lend some personal experiance too.

For about a year I shot IDPA at the local range. We only had comps. Twice a month, but the training that goes into being proficent adds up. As mentioned above by showlarson, high-volume trigger squeezes can WORK you.

Tell your friend to start a light weight, high rep wrist/forearm routine asap. You must increase your forearm endurance to keep that weapon supported, and on target. And to keep your finger moving freely and surley. Also a good stretching routine is key. Doing several sets of 20 sec. stretches will keep everything involved in the shooting motion loose and energized. He culd also get some of the IM eagle Claw straps, and do light weight "trigger finger" lifts. These straps can also be utilized for shoot/no shoot struggle drills he should be doing.

And for insperation do a search for Jerry Miculek and Bob Mundon. The former set a new world record when he fired 6 rounds from each of 10 unmodified S&W pistols in 17.23 sec. :bow Or his 12 shot's w/ a reload on his wheelgun in under 2 sec's.

And ofcourse, if his duty weapon is a Glock, or other DA semi. Get that trigger pull down. J/k of course. :)

n8

Edited by 5xfive

So my friend has an upcoming "trigger test" for his law enforcement training. His description of the test sounded like he needed to squeeze a trigger 10 times as fast as he can. I'm not 100% familiar with the whole process or setup, but he left a message on my phone asking for help with training.

If your friend has a decent revolver, have him practice in front of a mirror doing "dry fire"... that is pulling the trigger many, many times with the gun empty. Dry firing does NOT damage the weapon in any way (regardless of what other people may tell you), and it's a great way to practice without expending countless rounds of ammunition.

The purpose of practicing in front of a mirror is so you can watch movements of the gun. THE GUN MUST NOT MOVE WHATSOEVER. Have him practice "rolling the trigger" - making smooth pulling movements on the trigger without jerking or flinching. While he's doing this, he is sighting the gun on target just as if he's doing actual rangework.

Start slow and then when you have the technique down - increase your speed. Remember that accuracy is three-forths speed -- it doesn't matter how fast you are UNLESS your round hits the target!! Never sacrifice accuracy for speed!!!

When your friend has a good technique down pat, go to the range and work with live ammo. Watch the front sight, roll the trigger, keep the weapon as still as you possibly can and you'll make a great score on the range - guaranteed!!! :happy