Hg400 Progress

John Beatty

I grabbed my 400 today after my pressing workout & took it down to 1/4". Totally surprised myself. I love the thicker handles. About a 1/2" set from fully open just to get my fingers around it solidly.

And for comparisons sake how are you doing on other grippers, I'm intending to get a 400 so I'm very curious.

Easier than a CoC 3 - I can pick it up at any time and close it. The bigger, longer, thicker handles suit me down to the ground. Th 500 is another matter entirely but I have it in my sights...

Is that as cheap as the 500's get.

The 49.95 on E-bay?

Where did you guys read about that $5000 bounty?

The bounty from Bill Morrison Heavy Grippers is 500 for closing the HG 500.

THATsounds more realistic -but I'm pretty sure there was a thread that 'said'it was up to $5000.

The thread?mentioned Gunter...and this-that-and the other thing :help ...but,again,I'd guess $500 is the truth???

THATsounds more realistic -but I'm pretty sure there was a thread that 'said'it was up to $5000.

The thread?mentioned Gunter...and this-that-and the other thing :help ...but,again,I'd guess $500 is the truth???

Bill Morrison told me that next year if noone has closed it, he would raise it

to $5000. But he didn't sound absolutely positive about it. This conversation

was about two weeks ago.

I thought of an idea to set the HG 400 handles deeper,like down to 1/16" below the coil of the spring.

Heat handles up with a butane torch.(maybe put in a vice)Get glue hot enough to turn and slip off handles from spring.Get some JB weld to reset handles to desired depth.

I think the spring depth it is at now makes it way too easy.

I don't know how deep the holes are drilled in the handles yet.If they are not deep enough,you can drill a little deeper like a 1/8" or so.

Or you can use slotted pins,like the ones used to hold the handles on the Tetting's

Grippers.You can get slotted pins from McMaster

Just drill holes in handles, then place spring inside,and drill hole through spring too.

The $5000 I have emails for. He said he was 'THINKING' of having a $5k bounty if 1) no one has closed it by the time of 2) at the Arnold Classic (early March) and 3) (as per my advise) he might be able to get himself insured against the loss (here in the Uk you can sometimes get a book maker or Insurance broker give you a price against the liklihood of (say) a dice coming up with 6, 6 times in a row. 9/10 the price they quote will be less than the prize (ie $5k may cost him $1k to insure against).

He obviously wants as many as possible of the guys walking past his trade stand to come over to have a go and buy a gripper while they are there. If we all train like bastards and turn up he has his costs of losing covered, success for the passing trade to think about and more sales. All he needs to do is find a broker or bookie prepared to give him a good price.

What are the odds of a close? 1000-1? More? Less?

I thought of an idea to set the HG 400 handles deeper,like down to 1/16" below the coil of the spring.

Heat handles up with a butane torch.(maybe put in a vice)Get glue hot enough to turn and slip off handles from spring.Get some JB weld to reset handles to desired depth.

I think the spring depth it is at now makes it way too easy.

I don't know how deep the holes are drilled in the handles yet.If they are not deep enough,you can drill a little deeper like a 1/8" or so.

Or you can use slotted pins,like the ones used to hold the handles on the Tetting's

Grippers.You can get slotted pins from McMaster

Just drill holes in handles, then place spring inside,and drill hole through spring too.

Ahh screw that - the HG400 is doable and theres a bunch of harder grippers to train on in between the 400 and the 500. I think the 500 from what I felt with mine, is about a CoC4.

The HG500 I felt at the Michigan grip contest didn't seem as hard as the #4 I own. However I have no clue how hard my #4 is. It is hard enough that I don't think that I will ever close it despite having recently started closing my #3.

dude thats awesome...cant wait to buy one of those damn things.....mobster, you said the 400 is easier than a #3...hmm maybe i could close one...interesting....pexter man, i just have to ask....what the hell is your avatar :)

pexter man, i just have to ask....what the hell is your avatar

Pexter,

Is your avatar a severely handicapped person?

-Jedd-

I think it's a fat kid having a temper tantrum at about 10x normal speed. Too funny!

Are you sure you don't mean 500 cos the 400 is eeeaaasssyyy :p

I mean the 400, unfortunately. :dry My gripper strength is not my best skill. I think the 400 is a little easier than my #3 IM. The start is much easier. The HG500 is a beast from the start. Bill M said he was thinking of offering the $5,000 at the Arnold this year.

Mobsterone,

I received my HG 400 the other day and closed it no problem for 3 easy reps. When I read your post, I just had to get one. I assumed that it would have been harder than a #3, but you were right about it being a little easier. It's pretty cool, and can be used as nice paper weight :D

Chad Woodall

Edited by Too Tall

I would think that because the handles are so much larger, 1" instead of 3/4", the smaller ROM wouldn't be as good for moving up the gripper ladder as something like the HG300.

I would think that because the handles are so much larger, 1" instead of 3/4", the smaller ROM wouldn't be as good for moving up the gripper ladder as something like the HG300.

thanks i ordered a 300 from John lastnight I might still get a 400 to play with also

Steve

I recentley got one of these, and it is definitely easier than a #3, I took it down to 1/16"(Medium-deep set) and my grip strength is a shadow of what it once was (in the process of correcting that!). I don't think it would be good for training to get to the #3, because the feel is a lot different, and the close is quicker/shorter (bigger handles touch sooner than small ones). I will say it looks cool as hell though :)