Question On No Set Close

Scott Styles

When I do a no set close, I close the gripper most of the way through the sweep with 3 fingers, then wrap my pinky around the end of the gripper for the crush down. I think it may help me get around the hand size issue. I took a video of it:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/110138470..._1102559046.wmv

What do you guys think about this approach? Is there a more effective one? I'm trying to get the strongest close possible on the no set. Comparatively, with a set I can get the PDA243, which is about a 1.5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ishred

• Scott Styles

• Bearcat 74

• Sean Dockery

When I do a no set close, I close the gripper most of the way through the sweep with 3 fingers, then wrap my pinky around the end of the gripper for the crush down.  I think it may help me get around the hand size issue.  I took a video of it:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/110138470..._1102559046.wmv

What do you guys think about this approach?  Is there a more effective one?  I'm trying to get the strongest close possible on the no set.  Comparatively, with a set I can get the PDA243, which is about a 1.5

scott....it still doesn't get around the hand size issue for me. I can't get enough grip on the handle with the other handle being in the "sweet spot". in fact....my fingers don't even get around the side of the gripper holding it in the right position.

I can NoSet my #1 and #2, but the gripper is off the "sweet spot" when doing so. Maybe i just have a really good sweep.

when i do credit card attempts, i just set the gripper, then release enough to let a cc fit.

how ever you do it is fine, as long as just your one hand is doing the work. yours was fine.

scott....it still doesn't get around the hand size issue for me. I can't get enough grip on the handle with the other handle being in the "sweet spot". in fact....my fingers don't even get around the side of the gripper holding it in the right position.

I can NoSet my #1 and #2, but the gripper is off the "sweet spot" when doing so. Maybe i just have a really good sweep.

That is why the no-set is harder. Most of us can better position a gripper with a set. This is not a hand size but a strength issue.

Scott,

the 'proper technique' is the one that suits you most.

Check this one which works best for me especially for grippers with a large spread:

http://www.software-henritzi.de/Videos/041.../RB210NoSet.wmv

I'm going to borrow John Wood's question. Can you guys close a trainer no set?

So if your hand is big enough to no set a #2 wouldn't it be big enough to no set a #3 assuming the handles are spread to roughly the same distance? Then where does hand size factor in? Maybe your just not strong enough.

Frankyboy, it looks like you use your last 2 fingers to hold the gripper in place while you position it with the first two. I tried that but it didn't seem to change anything for me. I'm wondering if maybe the resistance on my gripper isn't heavy enough to overwhelm the friction the knurling creates against my hand.

Matt, I'm not upset about hand size. Rather, I'm trying to minimize it's effect to get the maximum possible no set close strength out of my hand. Waiting to place my pinky didn't occur to me until last night. I was wondering if people had other tips along those lines.

Edited by Scott Styles

So if your hand is big enough to no set a #2 wouldn't it be big enough to no set a #3 assuming the handles are spread to roughly the same distance? Then where does hand size factor in? Maybe your just not strong enough.

ding ding ding

ding ding ding

If I was able to no-set a #3 with the gripper going as far out of the sweet spot that it does, i would claim myself as having the strongest crush in the world.

rob (midget) Vigeant has the same size hands as mine. He's probably stronger than most of the people on this board and i don't think he can no-set a #3.

You big hand people can talk all you want...but you dont have 7" hands. So don't tell me what can/can't be done, because you have no idea.

ishred, any chance you can get a video of you no-setting the #2? I looked at you gallery and it seems as though your palm is longer than mine, but your fingers are shorter. I'd be interested to see how you do the no-set.

ishred, any chance you can get a video of you no-setting the #2?  I looked at you gallery and it seems as though your palm is longer than mine, but your fingers are shorter.  I'd be interested to see how you do the no-set.

i'll try in the next few days. i don't have a video camera, but my digital camera can do about 15 seconds of video.

My fingers are short. my palm is a little over 4" from first crease to crease of middle finger.

when i no-set the 2...i gotta strugle hard to pull as much as i can with the index and middle and then try and get the other 2 fingers over. It doesn't fall as far back into the thumb pad like when i use 3 fingers to start the close.

All grip feats rely on hand strength, not hand size. 95% of the board could complain about thier hand size being a detriment in some grip exercise so we just have to get used to it. With my hand thickness, I've got about 3/4" - 1" gap between my fingers on a RT handle whereas people like OldGuy and Mobster can make their fingers touch or even overlap because of their larger than average hand size and long fingers.

If you can no set a #2 and can't a #3, it's strength not size. If you can no set a T and can't a #1 it's strength not size. Bigger hands are an advantage it no sets, just like being tall is an advantage in basketball. Work hard and deal with it.

You said, "If I was able to no-set a #3 with the gripper going as far out of the sweet spot that it does, i would claim myself as having the strongest crush in the world."

Sounds like a good goal, better get to work so you can make this claim.

Well, the ole no set and hand size question again.

:)

Someone with smaller hands that cannot place it in the "set" position for a no set like a bigger handed person will have to get stronger period regardless. If you can no set a 2, and can't a 3, then you need to get stronger.

And IMO, the smaller handed person will likely be stronger than their bigger handed counterpart given the same no set feat performed. Assuming it's a max for both.

when i no-set the 2...i gotta strugle hard to pull as much as i can with the index and middle and then try and get the other 2 fingers over. It doesn't fall as far back into the thumb pad like when i use 3 fingers to start the close.

This is the key. Notice that with the #2 you are strong enough to only use 2 fingers to get the gripper into position, but with the #3 you are using 3 fingers. To my mind this clearly indicates that if you get stronger you will be able to work a #3 into position with 2 fingers.

I have a Trainer and a #4. They have nearly the same exact spread. I can easily maneuver the T into a "set" position without using my off hand. I can't do that with the #4. Is hand size the limiting factor? Or strength?

For the record, I no set using nearly the same technique as Scott has demonstrated.

Edited by Sean Dockery

Frankyboy, it looks like you use your last 2 fingers to hold the gripper in place while you position it with the first two.  I tried that but it didn't seem to change anything for me.  I'm wondering if maybe the resistance on my gripper isn't heavy enough to overwhelm the friction the knurling creates against my hand.

Try to get used to this technique! In my case I found out that it works best for my left hand - I now place the gripper nearly automatically in that way. With the right hand I'm performing your technique. Perhaps you have to try to get the handle which is on your palm a little closer to your fingers, then hold this handle in position with your pinky and ringfinger to begin the close. If I do no sets and the handle of the gripper is that near the thumb I have to close the gripper with my fingertips and that's a lot more difficult - so I try to do it like described above....

Hey, maybe the key is having the strength to close a particular gripper with basically the first three fingers? If you can almost do that, you can do it no set.

Definitely two finger close.

i thought no set was just grabbing the gripper and squeezing it from the table, without chalk or anything. without moving the gripper around on your hand. i could do that with the number ones. but doubt if many could do it with number two. cause on the videos, there was a little bit of sitting with the hand instead of squeezing right away. show a video just grabbing it from the table and squeeze.

That is why the no-set is harder. Most of us can better position a gripper with a set. This is not a hand size but a strength issue.

Sure, if you can't make the handles touch then it's a strength issue but why is it a strength issue?

For example, there are plenty of people on here that can close a #3 with a set but can't no set one. Grippers only get harder, so they have the strength they just can't get the leverage without the set. The larger handed man is already in a set position or much more of one, depending on hand size so they can apply their strength better. Yes all grip feats rely on hand strength not handsize as a general statement but the devil is in the details. A man with 7.5" hands has to MUCH stronger than a man with 9" hands to no-set a #3, assuming that is both of their maxes.

IMO, a true no-set would be suspending the gripper in midair and then grabbing it and closing it all in one motion but I doubt this will catch on. :D

IMO, a true no-set would be suspending the gripper in midair and then grabbing it and closing it all in one motion but I doubt this will catch on. :D

Yes just like Brookfields tip on the IM site.

Another idea that probably will not catch on but I think is worth considering

is each gripper could have 2 models....One model that is wide ..over 3"

in all cases, this model would be used to work the sweep portion. The second model of the same gripper would be made with narrower handles..about

parallel..these would be to work the close. Now you would work on the larger

ones to practice no sets...at least bringing them to parallel, then switch to the narrower one to work the close. I have no idea how you would cert then, but

I guess the original would still be for cert purposes...and this bunch for

training purposes.

I'd like to see some super wide ones made just to see if all the guys with huge hands could still no-set them. For example, one with a 4.75" spread for the guy with 9" hands that tells the guy with 7" hands that it's it's a hand strength issue not handsize. I know zero about machining grippers though so I don't even know if this could be done.

I don't think anyone will argue that a larger handed guy has better leverages with a no set. They do, period. The argument is people whine all the time about their hands being too small to no set a 3, but they can no set a T,1, 2, and BBSM. But their hands are just to small for a #3. A larger hand is an advantage in no set, but that's not an excuse to say I can't do this because my hands are too small.

Say somone can deadlift 500lbs, long legs, long trunk, short arms = long pull. The only reason they can't deadlift 550 because I have bad leverages?? Bullshit, work hard and get stronger.