Sandbag exercises?

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

I am aiming to get Dino training some time soon but could someone please satisfy my curiosity.  i am after some exerscises for the whole body aswell as some ideas on grip specific training with them.  (Tried the search engine but could'nt find anything).

Thanx

deadlifts, power cleans, clean and jerk, OHP, carrying, farmer's walk, curls, snatches, sit ups, rows, squat, holds for time, throwing, ...

The list could go on and on. This summer, I will work exclusively on sandbags.

tou's right, the list is endless.  anything you do with a sandbag is gonna work your grip pretty hard.

tou, i'm planning on only workin with the bags this summer too.  we'll have to compare and the end of the summer and see what kind of progress each other made.

Guest Askalas

I tried a sandbag the other day and got a great workout.  I did front squats, deadlifts (grabbing a rolled up portion of the bag), sholder throws, and bearhug walks. Once I get stronger I will definately add OHP, clean and jerk, that sort of thing.  With these your only limit is your imagination.  Next time for grip I'm just going to grap two fistfulls of the cloth from the bag and drag it as far as I can.  Have fun!

I'll make myself two bags. I really want to try sandbags farmer's. My bags will be adjustable so I can add some weigth. I plan to work from 100 to 300+.

Guest kINGPIN

It is something I am seriously considering trying for a bit of variety.  I will get the book soon.  I am in the process of looking for matirials for it now.  I am thinking of trying that idea of Kubics of using loads of chain as the 'sand'.  I am guessing this would cost a bit to be able to take it to heavy weight though but at least it should last forever and not leak.  

This may sound stupid but, what type of bags do you use?  I hav'nt got a clue.....which is why I need the book!  :)

Thanx for the responses lads

Army duffels or any thick bag will do. Preferably a bag with tough handles for farmer's walk.

You NEED the book not only for the sanbags stuff. This book is the best stuff I have encountered so far. It turns you into an animal when you're in the gym.

as far as grip specific sandbag training goes, i've found doing curls with the bag really works the hands hard- especially the fingers. i've found sandbag and odd object lifting to be the most rewarding part of my strength training- good luck, kingpin!

Kingpin,

If ya need some sandbags, let me know.  I picked up some really cool duffel bags from the Army/Navy surplus store, and are great for making those sandbags described in the book, "Dinosaur Training" by Brooks Kubik.

Also, go to his website.  Lots of good stuff.  Here's the address:

http://www.brookskubik.com

Those bags are cheap Fuel Crusher, and that's what I'm looking for. They look tough too, should do the job.

Sybersnott, could I get the same privilege as Kingpin ? I want two sandbags that I can weight over 150 pounds.

Guest kINGPIN

Arrhh, now I know the sort of bags you mean.  I can get them here although I am not sure on the price.  

Snott, the site is already in my favorites.  He gives so much away on that site its a wonder he has got anything else to write in his book.  Can't wait to get it.

Thanx for the advice and encouragement everyone!

Tou,

If ya want me to score some duffels for ya, e-mail me - Sybersnott@yahoo.com.  Or call my hotline - 1-877-571-7486, and leave a message.