Does calibrating/adjusting= tampering?

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

CoC rules state the gripper must not be modified(adjusted?) or tampered(machine seasoning/calibrating?) to be  within the regulations set forth by Ironmind. Do these things equal tampering or adjusting? I think people has forgot what Strossen has done for the iron and grip world and especially for them.

Guest StrongerthanArne

That was amongst the most silly things I have read on this board. You can always make a list of the COC's on this board that have calibrated their #3's and send it to Strossen. Please put my name on the top of that list.

Guest Jeff Roark

Well I'm glad I am so silly... I was asking the question if it would be considered the same! I didn't say it was. Read it again. Another thing M.S., what if I decided to send my grippers to have them tested so I could buy a gripper that would have a closing ip between my BBM and #3. Silly.....

If you plan to get certified on your #3 don't stamp the handles.  That would be tampering, I'm pretty sure.

Guest Luke Reimer

Jeff,

I think the intent of the rule about not "modifying"

or "tampering" is merely to gaurd against deliberate or

accidental misidentification of the gripper, or weakening of

the gripper beyond its natural resistance.

I cannot see how the seasoning, callibration, and stamping

that PDA offers could possibly be construed as "modifying"

or "tampering."  The PDA services of which we are talking

affect neither the grippers performance nor identifiability, and

therefore, would not seem to be an issue.

I'm not sure what you meant, Jeff, by the hypothetical

situation you suggested to Michael. Were you suggesting

that you could keep purchasing IronMind #3s and testing

them until you found an extremely easy one, in order to get

certified more easily?  Well, yes you could. Just what part of

this contingincy do you think IronMind would disapprove of?

The part where a customer is spending more and more money

on IronMind grippers that he would not have bought

otherwise? An interesting thought. But really, what would be

wrong with certifying this way? If there is something wrong

with this, then which company is the fault really with? You

wouldn't be able to find an easy IronMind #3 if IronMind never

made any.

I really don't think there's a case here against callibration,

Jeff.  

Regards,

Luke

Luke, I don't think he suggesting purchasing a weaker #3.  I think he's talking about a SoS that would be between his BBM and his #3.  I also don't think he's making a case against calibration, simply a question about it.  However, if the gripper were to be stamped it's closing torque, I'd bet my gripper colletion IM would not allow the gripper to be certified with....

Guest StrongerthanArne

I am sure Strossen love most of us. I have convinced quite a few people myself to buy his grippers her in Sweden. Jeff's question would have been straight forward had it not been for the addition of that last sentence.

Still looks pretty staight forward to me.....

Guest Jeff Roark

Thank you Heath for reading exactly what was written. I will not buy another Ironmind Gripper unless it is a #4. I will only buy a SoS to bridge the gap between grippers, and now I don't think for going from the #2 to #3 it is needed, well at this point I don't think so.  M.S. , my last sentence was just a beginning of a longer post than what got posted. I had to go away from my desk. It is straight foward as can be.

Heath, what you said about IronMind possibly not certifying someone who has inch-lbs stamped on the handle from PDA reminded me of something I was thinking the other day:  Don't you think that is why IronMind is now stamping numbers on both handles instead of just one?

Jeff Roark, you said that you think people have forgotten what Strossen (IronMind) has done for them.  That is your opinion, could you please qualify it?  My opinion is that people are calling an apple an apple, and an orange an orange.  IronMind puts out some really great products, no one has denied that.  Look at other threads and we are talking about how much we like our newest acquisition from IM.  They have one of the best book selections around (again, my opinion) at reasonable prices.  Milo is in a league of its own, I will not be satisfied until I have all the back issues.  IM's harnesses / belts / racks / etc are top quality, designed to last until our kids kids are grown.  However, regarding grip tools, PDA is really giving them a run for their money.  Instead of copying IM products to the letter and selling them (read Weightlifter's Warehouse) as their own, PDA offers things that are either not available anywhere else or are of a higher quality than the competition.

We have such a great resource with John here, because he reacts so quickly to demands taken directly from the customers.  We wanted calibrated grippers, we got them.  We wanted a way to incrementally train for the Inch DB, we got it.  We wanted better and better plate loaded grip machines designed with nothing else in mind but slamming harder and harder grippers closed, he keeps providing better machines.  There are guys on the Gripanator list (according to their posts here) who already own an Atlas, that tells me PDA makes good plate loaders!  Kingpin thought up gripper pouches, he got them.  I once sent an order to IronMind with a suggestion.  They replied to the order and didn't mention the suggestion.  I wrote John recently asking for product information, also including a suggestion.  He replied, writing a lot more about the suggestion than about my order information.

These are my opinions and I welcome yours or anyone elses.  I have gotten great products and services from IronMind, PDA, and Sorinex and I will continue to order from all of them as needed.