We have a good thing here

Guest baldy

It is good to see that here we all can sometimes agree to disagree, and other times come to a better understanding by listening to another's opinion.  Once a sport becomes too serious it is too much like work.

I have learned a lot from a long time of lurking here.  Everything I do to train hands I have either learned here, or I have refined my poor technique due to someone's input.  I was positioning my grippers wrong until Heath made it a point to explain how to properly set one.  My pinch was about even with my son's (who is 1 year old) until I read Scott Clayton's comments about timed holds being the thing for him.  I have a long way to go Scott, but I pinched my all time high on 12.31.01.  I had no idea how to bend nails until reading Tom Black's posts and watching the videos on his website.  I had never heard of such things as a vertical bar lift or a weaver stick, and I would never have ordered Brookfield's book had I not read about it here.  I have learned an immense amount of Iron game history from Joe Roark.  I respect everyone here from the people who make history like David Horne and Richard Sorin, all the way down to the guy who hasn't yet crushed a Trainer or pinched 20lbs.

My sincere thanks to everyone here for making this place somewhere to learn, and let's protect what we have and not let it get like other places on the Internet.

Just out of curiosity, was anyone ever unable to pinch grip 20lbs, and if so how much can you do now and how long have you been training.

This should give us some more examples to better understand the genetics vs. (and plus) training.

Michael Falkov

Guest 115-1005574997

Michael

When i started serious grip training in 1998 (22 years old and about 185lbs b/w) I had a PB of 10kg for the 1 handed pinch grip on a 2" block.  My PB is now 30kg and 67.5kg 2 handed.

Oh and yes, it took me about 6 months to shut the trainer!

Baldy

I missed the thread where Heath explained how to possition a gripper properly, could you point me to where it is?

Cheers

Scott

P.S  Genetics is EVERYTHING in all strengh sports.  Training just enhances what you were already born with! :)

Guest kINGPIN

We have had our fair share of little dickheads but thankfully they have been quickly excreted. ;)   This sport attracts the best of the trainees....the strong ones.

KP - "excreted"... good choice of words!

Scott - I can't find the thread, but I can summarize what impacted me.  Heath (about 6 months ago or so) mentioned in a post the importance of proper "set".  He said that Scott Clayton was unable to close his IM #3 until he got the "set" right, then within a week closed it.  Until this time I had been working on just the opposite;  trying to just pick up a gripper with one hand and close it without the off hand coming into play at all.  As you can imagine, anything above a #2 did not budge.  Heath stressed the importance of setting the gripper properly and using the off hand as needed to do so.  He said that you want your pinky halfway on and halfway off the bottom of the forward handle, and to use your off hand to position the rear handle somewhat forward in your hand.  Me being someone who doesn't follow instructions too well, I had to see it in his workout video that Wannagrip posted to really grasp the off hand part.  Heath, I probably watched you set that thing in your hand 50 times in a row one day.

Anyway, I saw a marked improvement in my gripper performance after applying this (still nothing to write home about).  What improved the most was my consistency.  I now feel I either maintain or gradually improve in gripper work, instead of having a good day here, an awful day here, a fair day here, etc.  

If you watch Heath's posts, he mentions the importance of this "set" concept occasionally.  He said in a post (either today or yesterday) that he trains light on his off days to make sure he stays adept at this.

Heath, please correct if I have misrepresented in any way.  Also, I really appreciate you and others openly sharing what has worked for you instead of clamming up to get the edge on someone who might be close to your level.  Of course, in your case that is a very short list.