Crushing Handshake

ishred

I've been thinking about how to develop a crushing handshake with grippers.

When shaking someones hand, place the top of their hand in the sweet spot just like you would place a gripper and squeeze. you can put the person down with minimal effort because its like squeezing a gripper. with a normal handshake it is a bit harder.

To train for a normal handshake, place the gripper as far back on the thumbpad as you can with your thumb still going around the handle and make sure you other fingers don't wrap around too much. squeeze. This will more closely simulate a regulare handshake.

I have managed to close my #1 with maximum effort in the fashion. Can't get it with my left though.

True. That would be an awesome way to train overall hand strength with a gripper. But, when looking at how you would shake one's hand. Looks to me like a larger gripper placed in that same position would be more benificial. Sweeping in a 1,2, or a 3 is not really all that hard. You leverage decreases greatly at the end of the ROM making it hard there. You are not sweeping someone's hand down to 1.75". That's taking the handle widths into it. Looks to me like taking a 4 and no set squeezing it that way would build up more hand shaking strength because the force is so much harder from the get go, it would actually be hard from the width of a person's hand.

Pinching wide objects would also be effective.

But, as discussed before, the way to have a very powerful handshake would be to just have huge hands. You completely engulf the hand you are shaking, reducing it's leverage and movement. Basically trapping it...........

Just my $0.02

True.  That would be an awesome way to train overall hand strength with a gripper.  But,  when looking at how you would shake one's hand.  Looks to me like a larger gripper placed in that same position would be more benificial.  Sweeping in a 1,2, or a 3 is not really all that hard. You leverage decreases greatly at the end of the ROM making it hard there. You are not sweeping someone's hand down to 1.75".  That's taking the handle widths into it.  Looks to me like taking a 4 and no set squeezing it that way would build up more hand shaking strength because the force is so much harder from the get go, it would actually be hard from the width of a person's hand.

Just my $0.02

good point...i just tried it...after the first 1/4" it gets tough.

i think levering a broom stick would help with the handshake. when you think about it, when you hold a broom stick out to level position. it is like a handshake. all the wrist and hand muscle go into a handshake position. and man it is hard. if you can hole a ten pound weight at the end of a broomstick, will you have a pretty hardy handshake, and you can hold twenty five pounds at the end of a broom stick. will i feel sorry for the guy you are shaking hands with.

i think levering a broom stick would help with the handshake. when you think about it, when you hold a broom stick out to level position. it is like a handshake. all the wrist and hand muscle go into a handshake position. and man it is hard. if you can hole a ten pound weight at the end of a broomstick, will you have a pretty hardy handshake, and you can hold twenty five pounds at the end of a broom stick. will i feel sorry for the guy you are shaking hands with.

It is the diameter of the broomstick that would not necessarily transfer over to

a good handshake...it is so small. A sledge may transfer better.

Ideally anything that works the sweep will have a benefit moreso than just the

close portion...as was stated above you don't get to squeeze someones hand

down to the touching of handles on a gripper or down to the diameter of

a broom handle.

A tool I use to squeeze in a handshake fashion is with a 2 inch and

3 inch roller pad from a leg curl/extension machine.

I was able to get a couple of these from Play-it-again Sports store.

They were changing out old ones on a used leg curl when I was in there

one day.

I offered $5 so they sold them to me.

I put a 1 inch diameter steel tube through them with about 3 inches extended

from one end.

Drilled a 1/4 inch hole on the extended end, attached a 1/4 eyebolt and

put a snaplink in the eyebolt . Hook it to a loading pin with plates.

Squeeze the foam roller pad which will compress and lift the weight.

This method closely mimics a handshake. Squeezing the foam in

a death grip works the complete hand fully.

Another method, to use it without weights, is to make it stationary.

In my tool shed I have a 1 inch wooden dowl anchored into

a 2x4 stud. Slip the roller on the dowl and squeeze. This method

takes away the strain on the wrist from using the loading pin and plates.

A good straight forward isometric squeeze.

The roller pads are made of high quality foam with good resiliency.

Works real well.

I fooled around with the gripper-in-handshake-position thing this morning. (needed an excuse to postpone chores...)

I think inverting the gripper and placing it like Heath describes above most mimics my natural handshake postion. I squeezed on a BB Pro like this a few times. Felt very similar to the squeeze of a handshake.

Edited by Sean Dockery

I fooled around with the gripper-in-handshake-position thing this morning.  (needed an excuse to postpone chores...)

I think inverting the gripper and placing it like Heath describes above most mimics my natural handshake postion.  I squeezed on a BB Pro like this a few times.  Felt very similar to the squeeze of a handshake.

After reading Heath's and Doc's posts, I played around with my grippers

the way they stated.

I have a few Warren Tetting extended handle grippers with 4.5 inch handles

and a 3 1/4 inch inside width. The extended handle gave me more of a

truer feel. Using the normal handle gripper and the extended one, will

be of good value, along with my foam roller pads :)

Well if you are doing a type of training for handshake then there really isn't any reason to do it with the left-hand since it's common knowledge to just stick out your right-hand.

This is comming from someone that is left-handed.

I've been thinking about how to develop a crushing handshake with grippers.

When shaking someones hand, place the top of their hand in the sweet spot just like you would place a gripper and squeeze. you can put the person down with minimal effort because its like squeezing a gripper. with a normal handshake it is a bit harder.

To train for a normal handshake, place the gripper as far back on the thumbpad as you can with your thumb still going around the handle and make sure you other fingers don't wrap around too much. squeeze. This will more closely simulate a regulare handshake.

I have managed to close my #1 with maximum effort in the fashion. Can't get it with my left though.