BBM closed?

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

Well here we go. Last night after my workout I pulled out the old COC. I grabbed the #1 and hit 3x5 for a quick warmup. Then I progressed on to my #2 in which I did 1x3, 7x1. I felt pretty strong but was a bit tired as I performed the singles fairly fast. I decided to give the old BBM a go, so I got my girlfreind to come in and watch to have proof that I had shut it. I set the gripper and squeezed my heart out and she yells you got it, you got it, I pulled back and open my eyes to look, it was so close air could not make it through, but it was not shut. I attempted it 2 more times only to get probably 2 dimes thickness away. She would not have it any other way, "I saw it, the handles touched" well if it did it won't be long until I see it, until then I figure I'm a hair away. On the norm for our COC that used a BBM to help make the jump, what did you do with the BBM for reps, sets, and frequency? I'm closing in on the #3 with actually little concentrated training. Another thing or two I have done in the last 3 weeks, on the 1 and 2 I have not been setting the grippers, I simply put them in my hand with no positioning and sqeeze. Also from young guy on the #1 I grip it towards the top. I also do some 2 and 3 finger closes with the #1.

Jeff

Jeff,

Great job, keep working hard.  I certainly agree all your variations will help (it's all good) but just be careful that you don't sacrifice your form and "set" ability by just grabbing the #1 and #2.  Make sure you continue to practice setting these grippers in addition to what you're doing.  I'm probably not the only COC who's encountered times when they just couldn't seem to get a hold of the grippers right.  Very frustrating and usually after a layoff due to injury or vacation.  Can you smell that #3 yet?

Guest Jeff Roark

Terminator,

I can smell it down to about 3/4 in now. I would consider sending them to PDA to get a gripper between my BBM and #3, but after Johns post I don't know if it would truly matter. I just need to be consistent and I figure I may hit it by summer. Also I don't want my #3 altered in any way, that is the reason I asked the question about tampering.

Congrats Jeff!!  Now go get that #3!!

I agree with terminator.  No set closes are good for sweep work, but IMHO your full ablility cannot be reached unless you have a good set.  I work with the T,#1, and #2 on off days so I won't forget how to do  it.  It sounds strange to think that in a few days you can loose the goove, but it is possible.  Just deep thoughts from a shallow mind.......

Guest Jeff Roark

Thanks all. BlueS how far are you away now? Kingpin I saw some predictions that you would be one of the few this year... I noticed that the #3 list isn't updated, how often do they do this? We got a bunch over here certified but not in the book.

Guest kINGPIN

Jeff I wish I was but the truth is that I am a long way from closing the #3 yet let alone getting certified for it this year.  You are well ahead of me ont that one.  My goal is to have closed it at least once at the end of the year.  I have a good feeling that those eagle loops might just help me so I am going to spend some time with them as well as working hard on my squat.

Guest Jeff Roark

KingPin,

In all honesty I have other goals that take priority.  If the grippers get in the way of me reaching my goals i'll drop em. I would like to get to back to my top condition again as far as lifting goes. I lost my base power and I am looking to restore it. Ultimately by the end of this year I would like to be in the 350-400x20 breathing squat, deadlift 500-550, Bench 300 for a set or two of 12, behind the neck press 155-185 for a few sets of 12,  snatch 225x1 clean and press 300x1, become a COC and a COP(captain of pinch).

Guest kINGPIN

That is some impressive iron.  My grip training started as a means to an end for me but has turned into a completly different passion.  The two for me are seperate now.  I have the grip I was after for my weights now.  The rest is to close the #3 and have some seriously strong hands.

Good luck with your goals

Jeff,

I'm less than 1/4 inch away from closing the #2, which I'm proud of since I've been training grip seriously for only a few months! July of this year might have been wishful thinking on my part for the #3 but still possible barring injuries, I'm being very careful about this! I'm also working up to heavier poundages on my basics,never hurts to be stronger while attempting to conquer the #3! Anyway keep up the great work and watch that CTS won't do to have it flare up at this time! Good luck Jeff!

JJ

Pinching two 45's is the standard to be known as a world-class pincher. If I remember correctly, the standards have been made for many grip lifts. I read an article written by Tom Black in which he states that 75% of the world's best lift makes you a world class lifter (in grip related lifts).  You might want to check for this article on his website.

Here's some (from memory... and logic).

Crushing : #3

Pinching : 2 x 45's

Plate curl : a 45

Don't forget to VARY your grip training from time to time.

The grippers are NOT the end all be all.  Train your hands with different movements - I tried finger lifts and was surprised with the results.  VARY YOUR GRIP TRAINING!

Guest Jeff Roark

Thanks again guys. With my grip training the really most important thing for me is to not get so serious about it and have fun. I figure I can be a CoP if I can within oh say 50-75lbs of big Scott "Private Viking" Clayton.

In Mastery of hand strength, Brookfield describes some lifts and then tells some rankings for them. In the pinch grip, you are world class if you pinch 2 45's. BUT, you have a very strong grip if you can pinch together 2 35's. Same thing with the plate curl, 45 = world class but 35 = very strong grip.

While it's not some big numbers for many people on this board, I'm proud fo these lifts. I have yet to find someone in my locality who pinches 2 35's and someone who can curl a 25 (and I've seen many attempts from bodybuilders and powerlifters).

Bottom line : if you closes the #2, pinch 2 35, curl a 25 for a few reps, deadlift lockout of 600+ and wrist curl over 200, you are the possessor of one of the strongest grip in town, no matter where you live (I like that sentence used by Brookfield)  :)  :)  :) .