My hands get cold easily

Guest Russell Latterman

Guest Russell Latterman

My hands allways get cold now.  If the room temperature is below 75, my hands get cold.  Outside in slightly cold weather, the rest of my body can feel warm, while my hands are freezing.  Whenever my hands are cold, I have at least 20% less grip strength.  My hands weren't like this before I started doing grip training.

Does anybody else have this problems?

Guest JSallee

Actually grip training will increase the circulation in the hands, forearms, and surrounding tissues.  

If you experienced a loss of fat recently, this may be the cause of increase sensitivity to cold.   Fat loss usually occurs in the extremities first.

Hope this helps.

I also have cold hands, but mine seem to be better since I started grip training. I never train when my hands are cold, it's very dangerous, here's what I do before training:

Warm(hot) water

Massage w/ soap

Crush a sponge ball for awhile

In about 5 min. my hands are warm and ready to crush...

Hope that helps

P.S. I don't think grip training can cause bad circulation because when our muscles are in shape they are pumped with more blood

Russell,

Have you seen a doctor about this?  It sounds like poor circulation, but from what I couldn't tell ya.  Does it come and go?  More details if you can.... it really sounds strange.

Guest kINGPIN

Welcome back Sybersnott.  You got a lot of catching up to do!  We missed your comments and advice.

I would go with JSallees post on that.  If you have lost weight then this is the likely cause.

Russel,

Do you do any type of higher rep training with your hands.  Because, contrary to popular belief, low rep training will not cause an increase in circulation.  Infact fast-twitch muscle (The kind you need to close a #3) actually has less of an overall blood supply than slow twitch or intermediate muscle fiber.  My advice would be to incorporated some grip endurance training i.e closing the #1 or trainer for 20+ reps or 45 second+ holds, if you can close a #2 easily this will not weaken or interfere with your heavy grip training.  This endurance training will build slow and intermediate muscle tissue in your hands and forearms, which will cause an increase in the amount of cappilaries in your hands and forearms hence better circulation.  I know that members of this board talk down high reps, but they do have a place in overall gripstrength.  If you want a more detailed explanation of this I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you here or on email

My hands have always been like that.  My ears too.  Nothing else gets cold.  I could walk around naked in snow with only gloves and ear muffs on, and be fine.  Maybe boots too.  But I think grip training has actually made them less sensitive.  Although it may still bother me occasionally, its a lot better.

Michael Falkov