Grip VS Overall Body Strength

Guest Reverend

Guest Reverend

Is it necessary to build up overall body strength in order to build a world class grip?  I've heard that in order to get the body to grow, it's necessary to do deadlifts, squats, etc.  Is this true for the grip as well?

I've begun doing some thick bar training, figuring that way I can work my grip as well as working chest, biceps, etc. but I wasn't really planning on trying to go into powerlifting.  Grip and hand strength is still my main goal.

Does anybody do any other exercises that they think have inadvertantly helped their grip?

This is just my $0.02, but if I don't SQ my grip strength goes down.  I think that heavy rows, bp's, mp's, and dl's help too, but that's just me.  Get's all the juices flowing I guess....

i believe the body works best as a unit, so it's best not to concentrate on just one area.  i too feel i loose hand strength whenever i don't squat or do some similar heavy, total body excercise.

Hi reverend,

In my opinion you don't have to squat or bp or row, etc to develop your grip, what you have to do is push your body to the limit, I don't think your nervous system will know if it was squats or bicep curls. I'm only training my arms (for armwrestling) and military pressing but my gains both in size and strength have been very good.

I don't have a world class grip but I'm working for it...

I think that, above all, you should do what you like!

In some lifts wherein the hand is simply a link in the

lift (deadlift with thick bar) it is crucial to have all

the muscles involved strong.

In other grip feats (grippers) one could imagine a

person not needing to develop the other muscles

because only the hands are involved, though at

least forearm work would be helpful.

Guest Reverend

Well, I thought I'd see if I couldn't kill two birds with one exercise.

For instance, the wife just got some new towels, which means she doesn't need some of the old ones (the Gods of Iron smile upon me, say AMEN!, bruthuh).  Now I've got a couple of them in the garage and I loop a couple of 'em around the barbell and do a sort of a half-deadlift, half-curl thing with both ends of one towel in each hand.  A few sets of this, and I can feel it in my hands pretty good.

The Reverend