Eagle Loops

toshindo

Hey all. I'm thinking of getting some Eagle Loops (it might be an Ironmind Christmas). I've got some good ideas on things to do with them, but I'd like to hear what folks on the board do with theirs and what seems to work for you. Let me have it!

I'm hoping to get a pair myself for Christmas.

I was planning on putting them on my chin up bar and working the fingers. It will also help when I start working chins with individual fingers.

I believe that ironmind suggests attaching them to a bar for deadlifts as well. Same basic premise.

I was just getting ready to post about Eagle Loops.

My pullup bar is in a weird place under my deck, and I though an easy sollution would be to drive 2 60 penny nails in the joist to hang the loops on.

That's what I did it works fine but my question is.......what joint on the finger do you slide them up to? The second seems to feel right.

Another question...... what would be a good goal say if you weigh 230-240? I can do 1 pullup with 2 fingers now. I think 1 finger would be good but don't know.

This is the first time I have used them other than playing when I first got them.

A pic in the IM catalog had a guy with them all the way up next to the palm. I would imagine that you could use them on any of the three phalanges for a different feel on each one.

Ther's no end to what you can do with Eagle Loops. Here's a few suggestions: Try doing 1 or two hand bent rows with the loops on the first joint and closing the hand(s) into fists as you row up and opening on the way down.

On chins I add extra weight and start with my hands pronated and supinate as I go up - reverse on the way down which works both functions of the elbow joint simultaneously. I prefer the loops as far up the fingers as possible for these.

I also do 15 second hangs in two finger combos of pinky/ring, index/middle and middle/ring fingers with a middle fingers only hang to peak then reverse the order. Take 15-45 sec. rest between hangs

Be careful using your whole body weight on 1 or 2 fingers, it's easy to rupture a finger tendon, which will really set you back. Work up the volume first, then the intensity.

Generally speaking, it's safer and just as effective to use the two finger combos I mentioned and add weight as you get stronger.

I do single finger work, including the thumb by putting a loop around a kettlebell handle and doing curls off the first joint of each finger then work up the different Kb weights and eventually just doing hangs. As the weights move up, I position the loops higher on the finger. Of course each finger has its own max. At this point my hands are evenly matched so in my case the max weight for each finger type is the same and moves up in tandem. Let comfort (a relative term!) be your guide.

Try doing 1 or two hand bent rows with the loops on the first joint and closing the hand(s) into fists as you row up and opening on the way down.

Any advantage in buying the claw curls that ironmind sells to do this exercise? Or do you feel that most claw curl exercises can be done on the eagle loops?

Gary- The main areas of carry over in my experience are supporting grip primarily and if you use them with a range of motion on the first finger joints, there is some carry over to crush, especially for the pinky and ring fingers when trained separately or together. Oh, and they definitely train mental focus and pain tolerance and general finger toughness, especially when used for timed holds.

Raziel - I haven't tried the IM claw curl devices but from what I've seen in the catalog, I believe you can use the Eagle Loops the same way, plus a whole lot more.

Open Hand strength super builders!! I have several freinds who climb rocks, and when I showed the loops to em, they loved em. They were all about the pullups with their fingers as far out as possible, on the very tips. Very painfull. I feel its good for climbing things, in that most buildings, rafters, trees, rocks and other fun things do not have nice solid round bars to pull yourself up on.

While I havent actually put it to use, I always felt that certain training with the loops could help with the sweep, and or that very begining finger tip dancing that goes on with no set closes.

I love them. One of my favorties. I do 2 arm regular 8 finger deadlifts from the floor. I do 1 arm Deadlifts with any of my fingers. I will do finger pullups with any combination of fingers. They are great for pullups, since one can move ones elbow more naturally, since keeping them straight as in regular chin ups can hurt ones elbows. One can also do Seated Pulley rows with the loops too. I think it can carry over to all aspects of grip. Overall grapping something is increased. Makes each of the muscles connected to the fingers much stronger, since working them more isolated. :mosher