Out Of Ideas

Zevich

I took all my grippers and gave them a good cleaning up. After cleaning I gave each work a good spray and worked the oil in well. The grippers now have a smooth, quiet action except one. The CoC # 1 at the last eighth inch creaks, groans and is stiff. I have let them soak in oil over the weekend crushed them 100 times to get the lubricate in and it still creaks and moans. I then dried them well and applied a dry graphite. No change.

I am out of ideas. Anybody else have this problem with one of their grippers? If so what is the answer?

Strangely enough, I had a #1 that wouldn't stop creaking and groaning every time I shut it...which was very often (100 sets of 3) and I had tried every oil and lube known to man. I got the strange idea to dip it in a cup of water-and it never creaked again. I had to dip it every 20 or so reps but it worked like a charm. I just dried it off each time. Don't know if it will work for you and I know it sounds odd. But I still do it from time to time with my grippers. Mine haven't started to rust because I dry them off before I shut them. Let me know if that works.

Strangely enough, I had a #1 that wouldn't stop creaking and groaning every time I shut it...which was very often (100 sets of 3) and I had tried every oil and lube known to man.  I got the strange idea to dip it in a cup of water-and it never creaked again.  I had to dip it every 20 or so reps but it worked like a charm.  I just dried it off each time.  Don't know if it will work for you and I know it sounds odd.  But I still do it from time to time with my grippers.  Mine haven't started to rust because I dry them off before I shut them.  Let me know if that works.

Good idea, there may be some dirt etc in there. After the soak, maybe blow it out if you have

an air compressor or canned computer air.

T!

OH No...don't tell me the grippers themselves actually get

tendonitis too!!! :dry

Clean them in hot soapy water using a nail brush or small kitchen scrubbing brush. Stand spring down to dry, then apply 3 in 1 oil to the spring avoiding getting it on the handles.

Well I tried dipping the # 1 in water as Ben suggested. Nadda. I then scrubbed them in hot soapy water with a nail brush and applyed oil afterwards as Old Guy suggested. And they are still the same click -grind - moan. Sounds like my knees in the morning.

The spring is not loose in the handle.

The gripper has not been dropped or dented.

It has not been placed in a vise or any other tool which could torque them.

No gypsy or voodoo curse has been put on them (to the best of my knowledge).

What's left? :help

Edited by Zevich

Put me down for the Voodoo curse option. Sometimes stuff just happens, this may be one of those times. Food Luck.

Maybe you could try this:

Put it in a vise and squeeze it closed ...this opens the springs up.

then look carefully to see if you can see a place where it is rubbing..leaving

a mark. Then take a screwdriver at that mark and try to pry the spring

open a bit more to allow clearance. It is weird that this suddenly happened.

But it sounds like it had to have bent somehow.

I close my grippers, and with the other hand I spray them w/WD-40. Works everytime.

I took all my grippers and gave them a good cleaning up. After cleaning I gave each work a good spray and worked the oil in well. The grippers now have a smooth, quiet action except one. The CoC # 1 at the last eighth inch creaks, groans and is stiff. I have let them soak in oil over the weekend crushed them 100 times to get the lubricate in and it still creaks and moans. I then dried them well and applied a dry graphite. No change.

I am out of ideas. Anybody else have this problem with one of their grippers? If so what is the answer?