A Surprise Grip Workout (my First)

destar

Hey all,

I'm a complete newbie to grip training.. I got my first grip workout yesterday completely by accident. I helped setup a tactical carbine shoot (www.fdcc.us). I hauled 8 steel targets 50 yards downrange. I farmers walked them one in each hand pinch griping them by the 2" square tubing welded to the back of them. The steel plates on the front are about 1/2" thick and 8" x 12" w x h. I guess they weigh about 30 pounds each. My forearms and fingers are very sore today, and my hands were cramping during the sniper competion (not good for trigger control).. :D Anyway, I think I'm gonna like grip training when I start for real....

-Dave

Welcome to the board Dave.

:)

Hi Clay,

what kind of grippers should I start out with? Maybe I should start with my background in strength training. I can't bench worth a damn, I can still squat 300 lbs for 2 reps, and more importantly I can still deadlift (with palms facing in) 275 lbs for 5 reps. The only grip training I've done besides deadlifting is farmer's walks with standard dumbells, and I only got up to 60 lbs a piece. I've now got chronic tendonitis in my right shoulder (from work) so I have to take it easy on pushing or cleaning movements. But deadlifting and shrugs seem to make my shoulder feel better.. I was told by my therepist that my scapulae are VERY tight and I have a very limited range of motion in my shoulders. I want to start grip training because I believe I'm developing carpal tunnel as well (also from work). Thanks for your help..

-Dave

start with a store gripper if your grip is not great.

but get a coc trainer and a #1 also.

when you can do those get a #2 or all together if you can afford them all at once.

good luck

start with a store gripper if your grip is not great.

but get a coc trainer and a #1 also.

when you can do those get a #2 or all together if you can afford them all at once.

good luck

Thanks KC!!! I'll get the trainers and #1, the store grippers are no problem for me, at least the one's have allready. I think I'll get an Apollons axle as well for deads and shrugs and press's when the shoulder feels better..

-sc

You also might check into the Ivanko Supergripper. Lots of adjustable settings for a couple bucks more than a regular gripper. You could save yourself the money from the Axle and buy a 2" solid bar from a metal shop for a lot cheaper, and then spend the rest on more grippers!