Scales of justice

Roark

Carefully read John's post.  You could have two PDA grippers of the same torque and they could be very different in what it actually takes to close it.  Fact.  

Your goal is to close a 500IP gripper instead of some "unknown" torque gripper.  Great, go for it.  My (gripper)goal is to continually get stronger and eventually close a #4, ANY #4!!

Use whatever tools are available to achieve your goals, coupled with ingenuity and HARD effort!!  Don't start trying to rate people compared to each other based on a number, if you want to do that do as Ironmind says and start Olympic lifting.  There are a lot of strong people working with grippers.  Someday we may all be in a room together and be able to squeeze the same grippers at the same time and have a "good natured" guess at who's the strongest.  Until then have fun with it and train hard!!

Jeff, I didn't read you wrong, I suspected how you felt and was happy to find I was vindicated.  You have the right mindset, you'll get YOUR #3 or whichever one you choose.

I'm gone, for now, :D

Since we are talking about it. Here's my thoughts.

The STATIC IP is accurate.  That is, when all is stopped and the handles are together the IP rating is accurate.  It's the dynamic friction and the force curve shape that is throwing a wrench into things (coil tightesss having an effect, etc). This will vary and the PERSONAL strengths and weaknesses come into play.  Look at David Horne's post.  Cold, no chalk, and BOOM..he puts the sucker down close.  We all know David has  one of the best all-around grips...ever.

I have a feeling the dyanmic force curves on these babies is such that if you haven't worked your grip in other areas you will be SOL.  Just don't whine it's the gripper's fault!

John corrected a lot of problems or at LEAST identified him.  He didn't have to.  

John is a problem solver and a straight shooter and I know he saw there was a challenge that no one else had even TRIED to solve.  That's PDA.  My guess would be he's disapppointed to have to reach this point without resolving every issue, but there becomes a point where it doesn't make business sense.

Besides, I want that GRIPANATOR to bet done! :)

To summarize:  

1.  PDA is a great company with great products

2.  some people are subject to careful scrutiny, others are above it

3.  many are opposed to validating feats of great strength

We voted for an IGC president regarding issues such as this.  Why did we ask for it if we don't want it?  Even IronMind has seen the need for validation, now making any prospect COC perform the task in front of reputable witnesses. Maybe because even video is inadequate.

Terminator, don't clam back up.  Your input is welcomed and appreciated.  How goes the IronMind red bar?

Guest DavidHW

When I went back to look at the calibration results thread and ran the medians and averages of the reports so far posted, I noticed that the "average" No. 2 is 45% stronger than the "average" No. 1 (290 - 200). Then, the "average" No. 3 is 45% stronger than the "average" No. 2 (420 - 290).

Now, if you extrapolate roughly another 45% over the "average" No. 3, you're basically breathing in the rarefied air of Sorinland -- 610 IP.

It strikes me that there's a progression here that reflects a certain mathematical elegance AND maintains a link to past CoC accomplishments.

No. 1 = 200 IP

No. 2 = 290 IP

No. 3 = 420 IP

No. 4 = 610 IP

Perhaps if grippers were sold as "1s or 2s or 3s" or whatever with these IPs as targets, it would add further "precision" to our sport as well as making the 4-level closing an appropriately uncommon event.

FWIW.

David

I appreciate all of the opinions expressed here regarding this issue, even if I don't agree. There are many valid points. Unfortunately, it's quite possible that we may never achieve perfection in this area. I don't know. It would be interesting, however, to hear Tom Black's opinion concerning this.

paul

• 8 years later...

Richard Sorin owns the 487, go figure. It is still possible that in spite of the 487 IP rating, it could even be harder than his 621 (I'm not saying it is but it could be). I know of a 295 gripper that would stop many COC's. As Mikael states, "IP rating, corrected for handle length". None of the numbers stamped on these grippers is corrected for handle length (and other factors not discussed). Why should Kinney risk getting a low number branded on his gripper? He shouldn't. The #3 and #4 designations are RANGES. So far only Joe had the ability to mash something in the #4 RANGE. If there were that many "easy" #4's, certainly more people would have mashed it by now.

Exaggerated example:

gripper marked 621 IP, handle length 12"

gripper marked 295 IP, handle length 3"

Which one's harder? I think that's obvious. But, inevitably someone will say this guy can close a 621, and that guy can't even close a 295.

The calibration process should be valid for a particular make of gripper, held to very tight tolerances, to establish a progression.

I had more fun as a lurker, I think I'm going back there!!! :crazy

I miss Pat's posts :mosher

Edited by jad

I saw Pat at the Arnold's and he was gracious enough to help with the Mighty mitts contest along with Dennis Rogers. I think the Terminator still opens his canned food without an using opener!Great guy and tough as hell physically AND mentally.RS