portable thick bar handles

mannek

hi all,

i recently purchased these; http://www.gmpfitness.com/html/ezgrip/ezgrip.htm

i first read about them here; http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_121stuff.html

i am very happy with them (especially as i got them much cheaper than ivanko sells them), even though they are made from plastic they are very sturdy. the company i bought them from said many weightlifters were using them with "hundreds of pounds" and there had been no complaints or breakages. i ordered the black ones as recommended in the t-mg article. i go to a comercial gym and they clip on to all the bars and dumbells, i use them on presses, deadlifts, db rows, curls and wrist curls. they are a great alternative for those that don't have access to thick bars.

a few months ago i attended a russian martial seminar with Scott Sonnon's teacher Gen. Alexander Retuinskih. it was a fantastic experience and i got to be his demonstration dummy a number of times 'ouch', he was very powerful and had very thich wrists. anyway after we had done some knife work he showed us some unusal wrist strengthening exercises. i will try to explain; the example was with two combat knives (i simply use two pieces of steel about 20cm long)

1) pushup1:  hold one in each hand with the 'blade tips' pointing towards the ground, get on your knees and place the 'blade tips' into the ground infront of you, shoulder width apart. now lean the 'knives' forward so they are at a 45 degree angle to the floor and the 'hilt' is pointing away from you. now proceed to do a pushup on knees, if anyone is strong enough to do a regular pushup (ie. Tom Black) i would love to hear about it!

2) pushup2: now hold the 'knives' the oppposite way ('blade tips' facing the ceiling), get on your knees and place the 'blade tips' into the ground infront of you at a 45 degree angle, a little less than shoulder width apart but so the tips face each other and your elbows point out to your sides (like when doing a 'diamond pushup' with thumbs and forefingers together), now procedd to do pushups on knees.

3) chinups 1) you need a rafter for this, hold knives same way as pushup1, stand under rafter then jump up and put the 'blade' part on top of rafter and proceed to do chinups.

4) chinups 2) hold 'blades' same as pushup2, now stand slightly infront of rafter, jump up and put 'blade' part on rafter. in this position you will be doing pullups to the back of neck.

well i hope you could understand the directions, these all worked my wrists really hard, let me know what you think.

all the best

mannek

Roark,

there is 3 possible positions with the grips, on a regular olympic bar with a little squeezing i got it into position3 (the tightest) and it fit real snug, no movement. on the 2nd position it still fits snug but you can force it to rotate.

Roark, A friend of mine has these EZ grips that he uses on a curl bar, he has the blue ones not the black, and he hates them, he uses them for rehab on his chest and shoulder following a nasty pec tear, I sympathize with the guy as I suffered a similar injury many years ago hoisting a swamp cooler by myself. Anyway I must agree with him they just don't have that same "feel" as a thick bar and they made this squeaking noise as I lifted! Must be I'm too spoiled by real bars! He says he really can't complain as he only paid $20 for them.  

Salud!

JJ

hey blueshadow,

i agree they do feel different to real bars (nothing beats real bars), i think the fact that they have a flat side allows the first finger joints to flatten which alters the grip somewhat. however i used them yesterday with heavy partial presses in the rack and i am really feeling it in the wrists and forearms today. thankfully mine don't squeak :)

all the best

mannek

Thanks Mannek,

Your input and experiences with this equipment provide much food for thought! I enjoy your posts. Keep them coming!

!Salud!

JJ