IronMind books

Guest kINGPIN

I am very sceptical about this book.  He is making out like he has some magic exercise which everyone knows that there is no such thing.  Just my opinion, there are too many other great books to choose from, why go with the book that focuses on such a small area?

:D

Exactly KingPin. He does seem to make some extravagant claims. I thought if someone has the book I/WE could get the magic info from him or her.

The reason I am interested in that part of the body is because I have a suspect back and the abs are the natural back brace. This makes it essential for me to get them strong.  :p

Hey Guys

I have the first edition of this book, and it offers some good exercises.  There isn't one magic exercise, but he does go through a progression of difficulty levels in ab exercises including and beyond straight legged ab-wheel slides.  It's a good book, and it has some decent oblique exercises.  If you have a six-pack already, which I hope you do with a name like geneticperfection, this book will only provide strength gains.  I hope this helps you.

Go to Clarence Bass' Page and look up his article on Janda sit-ups.  They are the "magic exercise."

While they sounds great, I can't for the life of me figure out how to do them.  And thats with instructions!

Hope that helps.  The rest, you've probably seen before.

Michael Falkov

Guest kINGPIN

Don't get me wrong Genetic, there is nothing wrong with training abs.  I was in no way impying that the only reason you train your abs was for asthetic reasons.  As we all know it is essential to strengthen that area for the big stuff.  But unless there is some reasons that you cannot, then stick with the basics.  They are usually the best.  There are a lot of moves about which may be alright on the muscles but are very hazardous to the spine and can do a lot more harm then good.

Buyer beware.

Crunches

Sidebends

Deadlifts and or dorsal raises....all you need.

Also, quite a while age I found an article in mens fitness written by him which was quite interesting, so I do have a lot of respect for the guy.  I have'nt tried it but it is interesting.  Check this out;

http://www.mensfitness.com/magazin....ubCID=A

I saw the title of this post and thought it was a joke (no offense).

I have not read the book.  However, I did run across something recently that got my interest up a little for strengthening the midsection.  Anyone that is all about functional strength will want to try this one.  Also, I will be able to post something grip related here on the "gripboard".

In Milo volume 5, number 4 (March 1998), probably the most well known issue here (Joe Kinney closing #4 on cover) a guy goes over an exercise he calls the "rack crunch" on page 112-113.  I have done this exercise a few times since reading about it, and I like it pretty well.  

First you set your power rack pins fairly low (probably already there if you rock bottom squat - I didn't have to move mine) and lay the bar across the pins like you are going to do hang cleans from the pins.  Next, lay down under the bar.  Grip the bar and extend your shoulders forward.  Place your feet flat on the floor, and keep your arms straight.  Now, simply crunch upwards.  If done correctly the bar should travel upwards off the pins.  Once you get the hang of it load the bar as desired and shoot for low reps.  The theory is that if you deadlift heavy for low reps with heavy weight, you shouldn't do 25 - 100 crunches and call it even.  That doesn't create proper muscle balance.

Now for the grip part:  There are some good grip articles in this issue of Milo, and I would recommend it to people here.  The Joe Kinney stuff wasn't as good as I expected, but this issue of Milo is a must-have (IMHO).

:D  :D Thanks for the great response!! I really appreciate it!! I will work thru all the advice and articles and see if anything works better than what I already do- Weighted incline crunches, Side bends and Squats, dead’s etc.

:blush  :blush KingPin I didn’t mean to come across in my post like you were implying anything like I am just interested in aesthetics’ or some thing!  I was just giving you an idea of where I was coming from. I hate this writing stuff! I always seem to come across completely wrong. :blush

:p I, which we could sit around a table with a couple of drinks a nice barbecue in the garden and talk and discuss training! Hey maybe one day.    :D

P.S. Not to blow my own horn or anything but- I do have a nice six-pack with some wicked striations on the obloquies. ;)

Guest kINGPIN

GP, you're alright mate.  I too was just saying that I got where you were coming from and just wanted to clarify my post...if that makes sense.

.......I think a BBQ is in order.  Bring your own beers people.    :p  :D

:D  :D  :D  :D You too mate! By the way nice to see you and all the other grip board patrons posting on the garage gym at cyberpump!!  ;)

I've got the beer just say when and where!!!!!!!!!! :0  :p  :D

Guest kINGPIN

It is quite a good board but the fact is that there is just too many people.  It is hard to keep up with the threads.  I will pass by every now and again and give my take on the odd topic but not as regularly as I do here.

I feel the same. Topics just come and go within a couple of hours. This is very hard to follow.

If you go to the curls topic you will find my acceptance speech for the most smilies used in one post!!!!!!! HA HA Too Funny! :D  :D  :D  :hehe

Good idea actually genetic.  Why not organize a grip get together.  Could be a competition with a barbecue afterward.  Something like that.

I think Janda situps are probably the best rectus abdominis exercise.  They are meant to isolate that set of muscles.  Being able to do 1 or 2 is supposed to be good.  I called Matt Furey over this last summer.  Talked to him about a variety of topics, including Janda sit-ups and what he thought.  He told me that some of his studentsz tried them and were able to do around 8-12.  This was after they had been using his "Combat Abs" (©®all rights reserved) techniques for some time.  Although he was telling me this to basically say his methods were better, I think any exercise for the abs that are that hard for people pretty well trained in that area, must be good.  Just add weight.

I'm in a similar situation genetic.  Although I only really care about strength, I am naturally very lean (at about 6% bf), plus I eat quite healthfully. Not really a bad thing, the chix dig it. :)

Michael Falkov

:D I read the post on janda and figured out how it works.

:crazy Fcuk it’s hard!!!!!  :crazy and my abs are quite strong (crunches with18kg/40pound dumbbell on collarbones for 10reps on a 45deg incline) ;)

I’m going to give it a serious go for the next few months and lets see what happens.

My Bf % is 7-9% naturally and that sure helps to show the abs.

:0 We all have them some just have more padding than others. :blush

:D Again thanks for all the advice!! :D