A deck of cards and a COC

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

I got this idea from another post elsewhere but thought it should be shared with you guys. Its sort of a progressive block/ strap hold, I guess? What about taking a deck of cards and doing timed holds on a full deck and reducing it one card at a time down to none at all. Put a rubber band around the deck so you don't lose 'em all... I am going to try this to close the gap on my BBM. I discovered the other night that I can close my #3 as far as my BBM. I think it is due to the handles being so much wider.

It's a good motivational idea Jeff. You can track your progress with it. Only negative aspect, too much cards don't help for the close. You better do negatives and strap holds with a thin strap. I sometimes do the same kind of block training on the #4. I close the #4 on a 1 inch block and hold it as long as possible (only a couple of seconds due to the incredible torque of this gripper). It helps with the sweep, which transfer into added speed on the #3.

Keep up your training on the BBM and you'll have it close.

Guest Jeff Roark

Tou,

Are you telling me that you can close the #4 down to 1 inch and hold it, but still can't shut a #3? I am getting closer every workout on the BBM.  I only do it 1 time per week as of now. I am going to see how this works for me. I am going to workout all day on Saturdays. I am going to carry my #2 and BBM wherever I go and alternate sets on them every few hours.

I posted this idea about a week ago but nobody seemed very fussed

http://grippage.cyberpump.com/cgi-bin....1;t=353

I've also just mentioned it over at the Round Table where hopefully someones going to try it. I'd like to try it for myself but due to a nagging knuckle injury I'm leaving the grippers alone for a while :(

Dunno whether it'll work or not, I hope it will help someone break through a plateau if they try it.

Guest Jeff Roark

Fuel Crusher,

You are the one.... that I learned it from. I think it is a good idea. Same as reducing wooden block but easier to reduce with.

Jeff, I close the #4 down at 1'' on a wooden block but I can't hold it more than 3-4 seconds. The three is going down. It's a matter of weeks. If only I could have my 335 SOS to do strap holds with.

Guest Luke Reimer

Tou,

You're example seems to make a strong case, at least with respect to gripper squeezing, for not expecing harder and harder partials necessarily to become fuller and fuller ones.  If you can get your #4 to within 1", and your #4 is in the typical resistance range, then I would think you should already have enough strength to mash most #3s completely and easily.  I can't get over the impression that this shows considerable difference between your open and closed hand strength.  If this great dispartity is possible, then what are the implications?  I think this means that if the goal is to perform a complete closure, then training must prioritize complete closure's too.  Building more strength is not necessarily to any avail--it has to be in the right spot.  Apparently with grippers, as far as hoping for fuller and fuller partials goes, people have been forced to take the long, long road. Negatives may still be a way of increasing partials, but given that negatives don't work as well for everyone, it's getting less and less surprising to me that only one man has certified on the big one.

Another idea that's occured to me. If say your struggling to close a gripper closer than for example 1/2" what about setting up some kind of clamp on the gripper (dunno how yet :D ) that would only allow the gripper to open about 3/4". Working with this gripper may save a bit of energy you would nornally use in getting the gripper close to your limit. Obviously no good for an official close but it may help in working at your sticking point.

Hope you followed that. ???

Guest Luke Reimer

Fuel Crusher,

--or you could just buy an easier gripper. A gripper that is

half an inch away from conquered, is probably one that is

very, very safe from conquest, if its owner has already been

training awhile.