Rick Walker

Well, we are approaching the end of another year. Soon, the snow will be piling up and 2005 will come tearing through. At the end of every year, I like to kick back and think about what the new year will bring. Part of this is thinking about the stars of the new year-who will rise to the top of the grip barell?

With that, here is my list for 2005:

#5. Tommy Heslep: the silent assassin, who shocked us all as he parted the sea of people at GGC and said, "Hey, I still have 3 pinch attempts!" while everyone else was done. I, for one, was awe struck. Tommy not only has massive pinch power, but he is getting his inch lifting up to par, has an incredible pinch, is starting to bend again, and is bulking up body wise. I think we are just starting to see the scary stuff from Mr. Heslep. 2005 will be interesting, as will the contests he competes in.

#4. Eli Thomas: Young, hungry kid who has the best mentors in the business. I am anxious to watch this phenom rise in the ranks for not only grip, but also strongman. Red bender, MM2 closer, plays with the blob, etc. Eli will be a force, and with the backing of the Diesel Crew, he will learn what winning is all about.

#3. Big Steve McGranhan: The man who gets his power from the Lord! Big Steve is, IMO, the best all around grip guy on the planet right now. The things I have witnessed are almost unbelieveable. The steel I have seen bent-sickening. Big Steve will close a #4, he dominates all types of pinching-I saw him attempt a clean of 3-25s and he almost had them turned over! Scary shit! His thick bar speaks for itself. Not only that-but the Big Man has taken a liking to clean and press lifts and is turning himself into a monster! Big Steve will shine in 2005.

#2. Robby Vigeant: Robby is a quiet man on the board, but to those who have met him in person-he is a character! He is strong as hell, and right now-the only man to have closed the MM3 gripper. If Robby trains hard in 2005-he will remain untouchable. If he slacks in his training-the other young bucks with burning desire just might pass him by. Bottom line: a healthy, training Robby V. WILL NOT get beat in 2005! I look for big things!

I had to hink long and hard about my number #1 pick. Who, in my mind, has the skill, genetics, desire, and heart to rise to the top-and start taking titles from Robby V.? It was a toss up-and I know I left some people out-but here is my #1 pick:

#1. Jedd Johnson: I cannot say enough about this guy. He never seems to run out of steam. He never seems to slow down. From his grip, to his strongman, Jedd is just someone who you expect to take it up a notch and do the impossible. The guy toys with 360 pound atlas stones, he has an incredible pinch and thick bar. His crush is out of site: he will get MM3 or higher in 2005. He can bend reds, etc. Limitless. Every week this guy gives us something new to watch. I truly think if Robby doesnt train his ass off, Jedd will take over the drivers seat as the man to beat. He lives his life like a champion-and trains in the den of champions with guys like Eli, Smitty, and Mark. For all these reasons and more-Jedd is my pick for #1 in 2005.

So there you have it. My 2005 top #5 list. I know I left out some heavy hitters, but all around grip guys-I dont think there are any better. 1 I left out who I think will shine in 2005 is Clay Edgin. I still love ya brother-but, my list is my list. No hard feelings-you will be top 3 in any contest you enter!

Rick Walker :rock

Jedd is really coming along. I can't beleive how much thicker and heavier he is compared to when I first saw him in MN. He just keeps getting bigger and stronger and at an alarming rate. What is this guys secret?

They would more closers for the #4.

Wannagrip invents far out grip program the Help crush the #4

with help of follow gripbroads by post and using 10 people to try

the new impovered KTA program.

New KTA program bring new gripperest to speed by closing the #4.

The red nail is replaced by the xxx red.

monster mash #4 is closed by many gripperester and MM#5is closed by

one person.

The frist conest for closing the #3 and #4 has a cash award for

$5000 and $10000 by the America motorcycle maker.

Joe kinney closes the bb galaxy.

Young people qiut drugs because of the gripbroad and gripping.

Gripping saves marriages science proves it.

gripping help lost weight.

gripping is better then Vigra.

They would more closers for the #4.

Wannagrip invents far out grip program the Help crush the #4

with help of follow gripbroads by post and using 10 people to try

the new impovered KTA program. 

New KTA program bring new gripperest to speed by closing the #4.

The red nail is replaced by the xxx red.

monster mash #4 is closed by many gripperester and MM#5is closed by

one person.

The frist conest for closing the #3 and #4 has a cash award for

$5000 and $10000 by the America motorcycle maker.

Joe kinney closes the bb galaxy.

Young people qiut drugs because of the gripbroad and gripping.

Gripping saves marriages science proves it.

gripping help lost weight.

gripping is better then Vigra.

hahahahaha well said my friend

#4.  Eli Thomas:  Young, hungry kid who has the best mentors in the business.  I am anxious to watch this phenom rise in the ranks for not only grip, but also strongman.  Red bender, MM2 closer, plays with the blob, etc.  Eli will be a force, and with the backing of the Diesel Crew, he will learn what winning is all about.

You should of put Eli much higher on your list, Rick. The kid has some talent!! :bow

Guest Chris Vaughn

Rick, I have one question for you: what about you?

I seem to recall that until recently, people would’ve been making these types of predictions about you.

In the past two years or so, you said you would be totaling elite in Pling (only to stop, get rid of your gear, and now bash geared lifters), claimed you would cheat curl/become stronger pound-for-pound than Kaz, that you would close a #4, enter and win a 5 km race, become a doctoral candidate in Exercise Science, become a pro Strongman, etc.

You wrote articles about “seeing the black” and such, but now you seem to be doing crossfit workouts and not much else.

I’m not trying to be insulting here, but you seemed to have such great potential and drive to do these things. What happened?

How can you leave out Clay Edgin, dude is a total all around stud....Can grip and pinch with anyone out there and may be the best bender out there as he is only one I know of getting 5/16 grade 5's.....Brett

Edited by kerbjr

How can you leave out Clay Edgin, dude is a total all around stud....Can grip and pinch with anyone out there and may be the best bender out there as he is only one I know of getting 5/16 grade 5's.....Brett

Kerbjr, Clay just broke up with Rick....he's pretty bitter. :( You can understand.

MEAT

Edited by Meat Loaf

I'd have to squeeze Clay in there at number 1 or 2 also?

Good list Rick, I agree with all the picks, although I don't know how much grip stuff Rob W is doing now that he is more involved in armwrestling.

Thanks for the compliments guys, but I'm not even on my own top 5 list!

We will continue to see amazing stuff from Pat Povilaitis in 2005. For my money, he is an impressive drug-free strongman at under 200 pounds bodyweight. Who can equal him bending and lifting stones at that light bodyweight? And it doesn't matter how much he can squat, bench, or deadlift.

Good list Rick, I agree with all the picks, although I don't know how much grip stuff Rob W is doing now that he is more involved in armwrestling. 

Man, with his mind boggling grip plus arm strength (e.g. one arm weighted chins) he is going to be an arm wrestling freak. He and David Horne both will represent the grip community well I'm sure.

We will continue to see amazing stuff from Pat Povilaitis in 2005. For my money, he is an impressive drug-free strongman at under 200 pounds bodyweight. Who can equal him bending and lifting stones at that light bodyweight? And it doesn't matter how much he can squat, bench, or deadlift.

I completley agree. Pat is just awesome.

For my money, he is an impressive drug-free strongman at under 200 pounds bodyweight. Who can equal him bending and lifting stones at that light bodyweight?

The only guy I can think of right now is Dennis Rogers (if Dennis does any stonelifting?).

I hope to see a woman close the #3. With either a parallel or credit card set.

Couple more #4 closers.

Maybe a no set SE close...

400 V-Bar.

I'm willing to bet the no set SE has been done already and maybe a no set on a #4. Only time will tell if the man comes forward.