Grand Bastard Challenge

John Beatty

Clay, thanks for your honesty. "Wise words from a strong man", I like that.

I've played around with the other way in private, with some pretty large steel and it is much easier. I don't need to inflate my accomplishments by perpetuating that style. The Oldtimers had a term for it, "rag bending" and it has always been considered illegitimate. My goal is always to get stronger, not to get creative to appear stronger. If people think I'm a jerk so be it. I'm pretty comfortable that all I'm doing is honestly portraying my abilities.

i think you should just bend the way you always bend. It wouldnt matter to me becasue whoever bends it will have my respect thats for sure. i think this little contest is pretty damn cool.

Pat,

Since your PM is full...

I am a historian as well and want to perform my feats in a way that makes my strength comparable with the oldtimers. Where did you find these references to "rag bending" I have never heard that term before, the only place I found any references as to actually HOW to bend was over at Sandowplus and in "The spiritual journey....The Mighty Atom" He mentions wrapping it in a handerchief or rag and in the book I found over at Sandowplus it mentioned using rags on each end and then describes a double underhand "spike" technique as being the proper way to bend nails and it mentioned "other" styles were around. I think it was Inch's book. Talked about tearing decks of cards 2 or 3 at a time and that people claiming that were baking them in the oven, etc.

All that being said, I don't think it necessarily matters in this little challenge because John makes the rules regarding his stock and he obviously accepts the style. That was also part of the oldtime tradition. I make the rules and the challenge, and if your strong enough step up and win the challenge.

Mike, first off Happy Birthday! 26 was a good year for me......what I remember of it.

I'll email you, sorry the PM box is full.

I agree that John sets the rules, I just said for me to participate it has to be in a manner that accurately compares the feats.