Grip trainers

Faheem Chauhan

I was wondering what type of training you do? Obviously theres grip training as this Forum is dedicated to, but for the rest of the body?

I`ve heard of some people solely doing grip work and nothing else in the quest to be a grip monster. i`m wondering whether many people do just that or whether they do full body routines with a special emphasis on the grip??

Faheem

I do the usual Hardgainer type workout. Squats, deads benchs etc. Up until about three months back I was a heavy strap user. Then I saw the light  :D  and started concentrating on grip work. To be honest I tried to do too much too soon so I've gone back to just doing a couple of grip exercises at the end of a workout rather than dedicated workouts. Problem is I've made myself too many grip toys  :)  ,still at least I've got a good choice though.

squats, deads, close grip bench press, ohpress, chins, bent rows. Everything else is grip related. Used to train powerlifting, now I train Dino style. I'll get some sandbags and a barrel.

HIT,Bench,SLDL,sumo DL ,clean and press,bent over rowing,squats,curls with Turks(dropped due to tendonitis of left elbow), at appx. 40-50% of max. 2x's wkly, as many as possible done in power cage @ 3x10.

Don't feel sorry gripmaniac. There's a reason why our exercises are the same. Those are core movements, compounds movements, strength movements. We want to be STRONG, not cut and tanned. I don't hink you will see a lot of cable crossovers or lateral raise in member's answers.

I work out 2-3 times per week.  And pick a few of the exercises below to perform based on how I feel that day.

Parallel Back Squat, Full Front Squat, Super Strict Military Press, Weighted Dips, Weighted Pull-Ups, Bench Press, BLDL, SLDL, Power Cleans, Weighted Crunch, Weighted Leg Raise, Weighted Side-bend.

I also do bodyweight exercise when I am on vacation, or if I am in the mood.  Some of those exercises are:

Push-Ups, Push-Ups on Handles, One Arm Push-Ups, Handstand Push-Ups on Chairs (for full ROM,) One-Arm Chin-Ups, Walk on hands and other hand balancing work, Bodyweight squats, and I also perform a number of BDWT exercises which I invented.  Would probably take too long to describe 'em, so I won't.

Af far as weights go, I generally prefer to do a combination of weighted dips and Super Strics MP, as opposed to Benching.

There ya go,

Michael Falkov

Guest kINGPIN

Well said Tou.  That is the reason I like this board.  There is none of the crap you find on other forums going on about concentration curls.

These are the only moves I even consider doing.  I don't go near bicep curls;

Squats, dips, benches, OHP's, one arm rows, chins, crunches and calf work.

Guest kINGPIN

Tou, I know I should deadlift but I just don't think my body is suited to it.  My Squat is about double my deadlift poundage (both done with good form).  I do quite like deads but they just don't feel natural, so I have decided to focus my efforts on the squat and work hard over the long term on that.  I am considering getting a trap bar at some point to see if that helps as the deadlift is such a good movement but that would be a while away so i am going to focus all my attention on just the one movement.

Guest kmshinn

same as above workouts but I also add weighted chins and dips as well as my new favorite overhead squats. I'm trying to overhead squat my body weight. I only have 100lbs to go! :)

Guest omegapower

I train for Bench Press, Powersports, Strongman competitions and for Omega Force programs. As far as training goes my first love is the Bench Press. But Squats, Deadlifts, Strict Curls and implement training all fall in there. I basically try to lift four days a week.

Saturday--Bench Press, Strict Curls, and IM grippers

Sunday--Squats, Farmers  Walk. Overhead Log Press and suppoting grip with adjustable Inch or Rollling Thunder.

Tuesday--Deadlifts and supporting grip wotk with Inch Dumbell

Wednesday--Triceps and IM gripper work!

I try to stay on a schedule but that gets detoured at times.

Guest Askalas

I go 3X a week:

1)bench, incline, pinch grip

2)deadlift, sit-ups, grippers

3)squats, caves, farmer walk

Strength is the goal so I go heavy as I can handle for perfect form  ;)

Eventually I want to encorporate sand bags, car pushing/pulling and sled dragging for some added fun :D

:D

Once a week in this order-

Full squats, Weighted chins, Pull over, Weighted dip, Modified bicep curl on a lat pull down machine, Shoulder press, SLDL, Calf’s, Side bends, Weighted incline crunches, Plate curls and plate pinching one week and forearm curls and grippers the next. Everything is done one set of 10 reps to positive and on to negative :crazy failure except Squat, SLDL and pullovers. ;)

Askalas,

For a real workout, see if you can find an old stick-shift bus.  I did those when I was in the Navy.  That would fall under the maximum weight/low rep category!

Askalas,pardon my ignorance,what are caves and can you give a brief description ? Never heard of it !

Thanx

JJ

i borrowed tou's workout when he posted it earlier, and i must say i've been making great gains with it for the past few weeks.

Guest Askalas

Thanks for the tip on the old stick shift bus AnimalCage, I'll see what I can do.  I got my first issue of MILO today and thinking about all of the strongman stuff really made me want to go do some car pushing and sandbag carring; I'm going to try some later this week or early the next.  Although pushing my tiny Nissian Sentra up and down the driveway isn't quite like a bus, at least it's a start   :D

Blueshadow, for caves I didn't mean a specific exercise, rather the calf muscle...sorry for the confusion, I shouldn't have switched form exercises to muscle like that in my post :blush   For those I usually do standing heel raises on the smith press or toe presses in the leg press machine...about the only thing I use those machines for anyway :D