Bent my first nail

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

Thats right, I finally gave it a proper go and now I see what all the fuss is about.  Allthough I have always respected it and been amazed by it I could never really be bothered to give it a proper go.  I was putting a tiny little kink in it at first and then eventually I got a good grip and felt the thing bend before my eyes.  My hands were red raw but the pain and redness is gone now.  I now know what it is like to have 4X4 strength.  I'm gonna give another one a go tonight and bend a batch of them in the coming weeks so I can send a few off in the future.

Watch out Mr Black the kING is coming.......he'll just be a while thats all.  ???  ;)  :D

Guest kINGPIN

Thanks Blue,  it took me about an hour but I got it in the end.  I tries one last night but could'nt get that U shape this time.  I'll work on that one tommorow.  The workout your forarms and hands get is like no other.  The nails I am using are quite short so there is not a lot to get hold of but that feeling you get when your feel the thing slowly bend is just unreal.  I am seriously considering getting that bag o nails from ironmind and give it my best shot.  there should be enough there to keep me occupied.

Guest kINGPIN

I just measured it and it is just over the width of my palm.  It is excactly 10cm long including the point and the top of it (that you whack with the hammer).  The diameter is 4 milimetres.  

Its not hugely impressive, but its a start.  There the biggest ones my dad had so I had no choice but to start there.  But now I think I might buy a load more myself.

Sounds imressive enough to me mate. It'll be a fair while before I try anything like that.

Off topic is just under 2" diameter ok for your loading pin and how long 12"?

Guest kINGPIN

Thats fine mate.  The diameter is not too important to me, just use what you've got so long as the bit at the bottom is big enough to hold the oly weights.  

Thanks

Andy

:0  I've just checked the Ironmind catalogue for the 'bag of nails' price, $55 for the nails and with a weight of 11lb shipping to the UK is gonna be over $60. Id say you're looking at around £70 for these kINGPIN. Rather you than me, I'd head over to B&Q or screwfix first mate.

Guest kINGPIN

Yeah, think you may be right.  I'll start with store bought ones first and if I keep it up I might get them in the future just so that i can compare my progress.

Guest woody36

Kingpin,

Nice work on the nail!

Reading the dimensions of the nail reminded me of my

"Other Half"bending a piece of 6"x4mm diameter CRS into

a U. She has tiny hands,and prior to this had never bent

anything in her life before.

Guest kINGPIN

Update:  I just had another go at that hard to get nail and again got exactly the same U shape.  My hands feel battered now so I'm going to leave it a couple of days and then work on some more.  I managed to find a bigger nail, it is quite a bit longer so there is more to get hold of and more leverage but this one is quite thick so I'm going to save it until I have done a load more of my small ones.