High Training Volume Or Low Training Volume?

dannyboy

we all respond well to certain kinds of training wether its high or low.

Some of us do well 6 days a week, some 1 day a week

some get best results from doing lots of negatives, some will over train by doing negatives. Im sure we dont all train the same, why would we?

how many of you guys have a low training volume?

me i do 1 set a night for about 5 - 6 days a week. its worked well for me so far.

i do warm up of course.

I try to cycle volume, high, medium, low, etc. Staying with 1 type of volume all the time does not work well. Good to cycle it.

I did my best to lead a discusion on what exactly high volume is months ago on this board, and came up with several different working definitions for the concept.

I would say my volume is low compared to that of others.

-Jedd-

I've tried it all althought not much with low volume, the hight volume AKA KTA has worked best for me even though it sometimes takes great effort to overcome the raw hands to get through a workout.

we all respond well to certain kinds of training wether its high or low.

Some of us do well 6 days a week, some 1 day a week

some get best results from doing lots of negatives, some will over train by doing negatives.  Im sure we dont all train the same, why would we?

how many of you guys have a low training volume?

me i do 1 set a night for about 5 - 6 days a week.  its worked well for me so far.

i do warm up of course.

are we talking about grip?

or full body-strength/power workouts?

I respond better to low volume grip training. One to two intense, short workouts a week and I make good gains.

I've tried it all althought not much with low volume, the hight volume AKA KTA has worked best for me even though it sometimes takes great effort to overcome the raw hands to get through a workout.

yea i meant grip, but i guess it applies to any kind of training.

I tried HIT training a couple years back, it was ok, bench etc went up but i got no increase in size.....for that matter size went down slightly.

low volume or high volume great questions.

Every body different and do not react the same.

Your body know what to do and how to train.

If you are successfull with certain type of training then you are on

the mark. You have found it the way to train and a way to a

kick ass train with every increasing gains.

High volume like Joe Kinny is good for him and he reacted well with it

but if I try it I know I will injury my hand. I believe that modifing his

training works but with 100% effort in each rep.

SQuating works well with gripper train it seems that I have better and fast

recovery when I squat for some reason. And again not adding to much

poundage when exercising the legs. I like exercising the legs and then

do some bike exercise man it burn the legs.

I use medium voume with crushing the gripper 200 % each set

with 5 mins to 10 mins rest inbetween.

But lately I have negleted not taken vitamin E and multi vits.

I personally need to stay at four workouts a week with 8-12 singles per workout or I feel like my crush falls right the hell off. I have tried to incorporate some other grip oriented stuff during this four times a week gig and it seems to work. I did follow the thread on high and low volume Jedd lead and I will also have to agree I fall into the low volume category.

-SMP

Speaking of grippers only - not other grip training I get more benefit from higher volume. Grippers I train twice a week. One day I'll do 40 - 45 sets of 5's - 3's - and singles. The second day I usually do 30 sets.

I am not sure I planned it this way in the beginning but that is what works for me now.

I definitely cycle my training volume a bit. But my low volume day might be another man's high volume day. Or the reverse.

For example, my gripper workout on the 7th consisted of 13 total reps, counting attempts. That would be some insanely low volume for me. I would normally consider anything under 50 reps to be low volume.

The day after that (the 8th) I did 1,500 total (all TNS) reps (right hand only) with the Trainer. I think that would be considered high volume. :flame

So I think it's nice to mix them up every once in a while. I much prefer the higher volume work though. Seems to make my hands feel strong.

Speaking of grippers only - not other grip training I get more benefit from higher volume. Grippers I train twice a week. One day I'll do 40 - 45 sets of 5's - 3's - and singles. The second day I usually do 30 sets.

I am not sure I planned it this way in the beginning but that is what works for me now.

to me thats hiiiiiigh volume!!! but hey if its working keep it up.

like they say, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Kevin Fulton, COC, did something like 100's of singles in a workout if I remember correctly (with a #2). He'd do it while plowing his fields.

Ive tried mixing it up, but I think high volume is the only way I have ever responded. To get stronger I have to hit the same muscle 3 times a week. When I was doing a lot of grippers, singles never really helped, it was lots and lots of reps that actually made me go up. When I went from the 1 to the 2, it was mostly the high volume on the trainer that got me there, and I am hoping high volume on the 1 will get me to the 3.

I've been trying to up my volume and now I've injured a finger, super. I'm really starting to wonder why I'm squating once a week and training grippers 4x. My strength has been improving but I don't know when I'll be squeezing any with my left hand middle finger again.

I've been trying to up my volume and now I've injured a finger, super. I'm really starting to wonder why I'm squating once a week and training grippers 4x. My strength has been improving but I don't know when I'll be squeezing any with my left hand middle finger again.

we all get injuries at one point or another deaner. just a set back, you can over come it though. :rock

Kevin Fulton, COC, did something like 100's of singles in a workout if I remember correctly (with a #2).  He'd do it while plowing his fields.

There are some strange critters on this board! :stuart And strong I might add.

Edited by Zevich

I believe this is what Bill is talking about

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High Volume Gripper Training

By Kevin Fulton

I would suggest you stick with low reps but increase the volume by increasing the number of sets. For example, try GRADUALLY increasing the sets up to 50-100 + while sticking to low reps (1-5 reps per set). I would shoot for a range of 150-250 total reps. When sticking to the low reps you can keep the average force rate per rep higher. In other words you are better able to slam the gripper shut with some authority and not just make the ends meet!! I feel this is a key point. When doing high rep sets, the last few reps are not going to be very forceful. Believe me, if one ever expects to close the #3 or #4 Iron Mind grippers, you are going to need as much force as you can possibly apply in the last fraction of an inch. Have you noticed that when doing your sets of singles and doubles that you really never seem to fatigue that much?? Doesn’t it seem like you could just go on and on? Especially with a full 1 minute rest interval between sets. I know that when I worked up to over 400 reps in one session with the #2 (doing sets of 5-6 reps) I felt like I could have continued indefinitely! I was in the tractor baling hay and had finished the field so I stopped. It was also 2 a.m. and I didn’t want to stay up just to keep gripping. With this type of program, one timer per week should be plenty. If you want to occasionally do a high rep workout—no problem, it would probably be a good change of pace and added stimulus, but I still would hesitate training more than once a week with the grippers.

Sometimes I will do a second workout with an easier gripper like the trainer of #1 for just a few easy sets of 10-20 reps. This seems to possibly help aid in the recovery process but I only do a couple of sets. It is kind of like therapy for me, both mental and physical. The reps are fast and easy and it satisfies that gripper urge you get after 3-4 days of not doing them.

One problem with training the grippers is the large increase in force required from closing the #2 to closing the #3, and also from the #3 to the #4. It would be nice if there was a 2.5 and a 3.5 to train on. Since there isn’t, one must find another way to conquer the next higher gripper.

What worked for me was to increase the volume. I really don’t know if this approach has worked well for anyone else or not

Question from Andy: “How many reps should you be able to do with the gripper you’ll use for your volume work?”

Answer from Kevin

I would think that you would have to be able to do at least 3-5 consecutive reps with a gripper before you could do much of a high volume workout with it. If this was the case, you should still be able to do a fairly high number of singles with it, PROVIDING you have an adequate rest interval between reps. That is why I think this training worked well for me. Even shortly after I first closed the #2 I could do a lots of singles with it in a 1 hour period because I wasn’t going to failure and therefore fatigue that fast. Let’s say you can do 12 reps with the #2. If you try to do sets of 8-10, after a couple of sets you are completely fatigued and then the workout is pretty much over. Plus, each rep in a high rep set gets slower and slower. With low reps you can “slam” it shut over and over for long periods and generate more force for a longer period of time which should lead to a greater trainer response.

I’m actually in that position myself right now. (Nov 99) I can close the #3 for a few singles but I really can’t train volume with the #3 yet, because after a few singles I can’t close it at all. After I fail, I start my volume work with the #2. I’m also trying some negatives, and partial reps as well. I got Joe Kinney’s video and he really stresses doing the negatives. I’ve only been doing the negatives for about two weeks so it is really too early to tell yet how well they will work for me. They obviously worked well for Joe!

For me, it’s an ongoing challenge with constant experimentation. When I first got the grippers, I knew I could someday close the #2 but I really doubted that I could ever close the #3. After conquering it, I purchased the #4 and then felt like I might as well hang em up. I got discouraged even trying, it is way beyond #3 and incredibly hard. After taking a few months off grip training this summer, I’m back where I left off. I’m actually getting closer with the #4 but still a long way off. The difference now is that I actually believe it is a possibility for me in the future!

Kevin Fulton

Ive occasionally done a workout in the past like Kevis with good results. Ben Edwards is also having good results with high volume. Definetely a fun way to train.

Austin

I did an article way back on various COC's and how they trained for MILO. I was really working to gather all the info I could and analyze it on gripper training. A couple pieces of info when researching this article helped support my stepping forward and doing something more radical. They were the yard clearing by Jim Ferry and of course this high volume by Kevin. He said the more volume, the stronger he got.

Note how he "progressed" though towards this volume. He did not jump into the big time volume.

One of the wonderful things about "high volume" is the fact that the body won't "allow" someone to just jump into the kind of high volume workouts we're talking about. When I first started, I can remember having semi-raw hands after less than 2 dozen reps with the grippers. Now I can do hundreds and hundreds of reps-mainly because of an increase in the thickness of my skin or callouses. Not to mention an appreciable increase in strength.

It has taken a long time to get here though. So it usually doesn't appeal to all the I-want-it-right-now-the-quickest/easiest-way-possible type of crowd that can't or won't put in the time and effort needed to slowly compensate.