The Gripper is in the mail!

AnimalCage

I ordered my new gripper on Tuesday, 12/11.  Today, they confirmed my order has been shipped.  Just over 3 weeks to ship (including the holiday season).  As soon as I do a comparison to my #3, I'll be shipping my #3 for calibration.  I'm thinking of including a Wal-Mart gripper that I got my kids for Christmas.  It seems to be a little more than half of the trainer.  My 9yo boy can almost close it.  He said he wants to close the Trainer before his 10th birthday in April.  Any advice on training young hands?  

Thanks,  Alan

It's here!  I warmed up, then tried my #3 first.  Still about 1/2".  Then the 343IP.  I got it to under 1/4".  That is exactly what I wanted.  (Well, really, I wanted to close it, but...)  This will definitely help with the closing part of the crush.  Strangely, my left hand felt a bit stronger.  Has anyone unexpectedly closed a gripper with their non-dominant hand before the dominant one?

BTW, thanks to John Sz for a great product and a valuable service!

Alan

I also received my SOS gripper from PDA this week.  I was able to close it right handed but not left.  However, my left attempts looked better than I thought they would.  I think this is because of the griper, however.  The design of that gripper is far superior (IMHO) to my IM grippers.  The angle of the handles was a little less than my IM #1 and #2, and a LOT less than my IM #3 and #4.  I did not have to keep trying for that "perfect set" with my off hand.  Also the PDA gripper has an oversized chamfer on the bottom of the handles which is much better suited (for me, anyway) for strapholds because the handles cannot bite into the strap as easily.  PDA pins the handles to the sping, and I prefer that to just glue holding them on.  PDA has definitely given me a quality product at a reasonable price.  I tried that hit-and-miss game by ordering a BBM, and when the gripper arrived I closed it for reps.  Upon closer examination, the spring on it was smaller than my #2, and it felt the same (if not just a little easier) tension-wise.  I sold it the next day to a friend and contacted PDA.  If anyone here is looking for something to "close the gap" on another gripper, don't guess.  Order from PDA so you know what you are getting.  I have been grip training for about a year now, and if I was starting today I would not order an IM #3 or #4 until I could close a 450 in-lb or so PDA gripper.  If you want to know why, look at Wannagrip's message regarding PDA calibrations of existing grippers.  Pay special attention to the range of closing torque.

Sorry for the long post, but I am really happy about my new gripper.   :)

Guest DavidHW

AnimalCage:

Looking at PDA's page, I can't find where you specify the IP calibration for the Class III grippers. I just see the range (292-504). Did you ask for a 343IP gripper (or something close)? How do I make sure when I order a Class III I get, say, a 350-375IP gripper and not a 500IP?

TIA

David

First, you order the gripper form its class. You order a SOS class III. Secondly, you write a email to John at PDA in which you specify the closing torque you want to have. This is the suggested process.

I ordered a SOS class III gripper trough the web site store. Then, I wrote a email saying that I want a 335 in/lbs. closing torque. Now, I wait for it to arrive ...

If Inch replica dumbells varied in weight by the same

percentage as do COC grippers, imagine the frustration.

PDA will prove to be the future of grippers because

they sell an accurate product. How else is progress

determined in lifting/strength if not by measured steps?

Tou is correct.  I went through the same process.  I ordered the Class III over the website, then sent an email with the details.  PDA replied to my email within hours, verifying the order information and the requested strength of the gripper.  You must reply to their reply to make the order official.  It sounds like a bit of a process, but it really isn't, and the results are well worth it.

There's no doubt about this being a better system.

Alan

Guest DavidHW

Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered my Class III today at a requested IP of 365-375. Figure since I'm up to 25 reps on my No. 2, and can close my No. 3 about 20% of the time by cheating and holding the spring, that I should go for the high end of the average (@355 IP) between a No. 2 (@290 IP) and a No. 3 (@420 IP).

Can't wait to get it!

David