Iron Grip Decathalon

Clay Edgin

Here is a post from ironwarrior (Kevin Meskew):

Hey SoCal Gripsters!

I'm looking to do an IronGrip Decathlon (yes, 10 events) here at the Power Palace in Chatsworth around February. My initial choices for events are: (not set in stone and not necessarily in this order)

1.COC's

2.Hub

3.Block

4.RollingThunder

5.Apollon's Axle DL

6.DL Hold for Time

7."Fat-Ass" DB one-hand DL (3.75" handle for max weight)

8.Dynamometer

9. ???

10. ???

Thinking about a combined RollThun right and left hand event, maybe same with Hub and Block too.

Any suggestions, additions, or deletions?

The scoring will be determined by the Dale Harder Strength Tables, and scored similar to a Track&Field Decathlon.

I would probably change the order:

1.COC's

Dynamometer

Rolling Thunder

Apollon's Axle DL

2.Hub

3.Block

4.RollingThunder

"Fat-Ass" DB one-hand DL (3.75" handle for max weight)

5.Apollon's Axle DL

6.DL Hold for Time

looks awesome!

V-bar?Two hand plate pinch or plate pinch for timed holds?

I like the 2 hand plate pinch too. Vbar would be fun. Of course I would like to see nail bending in there too.

10 events is a lot to run through in one day, so having rising bar events where possible and maybe even breaking up the competitors into two flights so they can each be doing an event at the same time might help.

can you bend a nail without holding onto it?

ishred, good question.

Martin Kotte got 9th at the german grip championship and can bend a Red.

I got 2nd but I can't bend anything harder than a Yellow. :blush

Kevin,

Great idea! How about hanging from a bar for time for one event? It favors the lighter people but that's only one event. Let me know if you need scoring tables for any events not covered by my previous ones. BTW, the decathlon idea is a great one--boy is that going to be a toughie. You might also want to consider for future contests a pentathlon, hextathlon, heptathlon, octahlon, or nonathlon (or what ever they call a 9-event contest). Nonathlon sounds like nothing is happening.

Dale :)

A 10 eventer really shouldn't take that long; heck I ran thru 35 lifters in a BP AND DL contest in less than 3 hours at my gym last weekend. I figure I won't have as many grippers, limit the attempts to like 3 or 4 for the max weight events, and we won't be doing a lotta 50kg plate loads and unloads that seem to plague a lotta PL contests, along with other delays. It should go pretty smooth, and that plate hold for time sounds like a great event! Hey, I'm figuring you grip folk are always looking for new challenges, so why not a 10 eventer?!

Dale, as for the bar hang, I could make it an unofficial event; that way the light guys like Clay won't have an advantage LOL. It was an event that was included at a WSM contest back several years, but hasn't been used since.

Clay, whatsa V-Bar??? (pardon my ignorance)

Talk about cosmic timing, I was composing a private correspondence to Kevin Meskew when he(IronWarrior aka KM) posted his comments. I will still do that,

but I wanted to convince all that Dale's idea of Bar Hang is pretty damn good, especially when you look at the Olympic Decathlon in Track & Field's counterpart to Bar Hang.

There have been many inspirational Olympic and Decathlon stories/movies told by

Olympic moviemaker and writer Bud Greenspan. At the end of the Decathlon, everyone is dog tired. The best competitors are fast and strong. And what is the worst event for the best competitors? The 1500 run. So in the last event of the Decathlon, the 1500, all the skinny guys you never heard of are off running ahead of the good big guys, and the leaders are fighting against themselves, the clock, the point system and pain in a grueling event that is stacked against their genetic gifts. Their chance of winning or losing often comes down to whether or not they can overcome something that they absolutely hate to do, and a few seconds can make the difference between a medal or not.

At the 1984 LA Olympics, poor asthmatic Jackie Joyner-Kersee struggled with the women's last event of the Heptathlon, the 800 run, and ended with a Silver Medal, missing the Gold by .33 seconds in the 800.

So yeah, the bar hang is an unfair advantage to the light guys(which I guarantee you, is not me), but there is a type of historic poetic sense to it.

Not sure if Dale thought of it that way, but I can see a parallel with the original Decathlon in it.

On the other hand, since I suck at it, maybe it should be left out.

is grip really that much of a factor for bending?

Absolutely. If your grip is not good the bar will pry your fingers open as you go to bend it.

A bar hang for time would be cool too so long as it was one of the last events; every time I try that my hands end up like useless claws for a half hour!

Kevin, a v-bar is a 24" long, 1" diameter pipe or bar with a flange on the bottom to hold the plates on. It's just like a 2 foot long loading pin. Pile the weights on, grab the top of the bar, and lift.

Ok, then you must put the bar hang in 1st so that everyone else has a chance against Clay's useless claws during the remainder of the contest!!

Mike M.

• 2 weeks later...

How does February 19th sound to you'all? That's a Saturday, hopefully weather will be alright...lemme know so I'm not conflicting with someone's wedding anniversary or other trivial stuff.

Don't worry. No wedding anniversary stuff for me to worry about. I'll be there :angry:

Kevin, tell Chuck I said hi

Dan Harrison :rock

Edited by Meat Loaf

That's the same weekend as the Fit Expo in Pasadena which I had thought about attending if the planets (and my wallet) align. Now I'm torn! But don't change the date because of just that. Chances are that I wouldn't be able to come down twice in one month so if it is that weekend I'll have a better chance of coming instead of not having a chance at all.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Telekinesis works really well with an obsessive personality. You can actually work up a sweat just lying in bed!

Oops...I guess i WON'T be doing the grip contest then. I will be helping out at the Fit-Expo in Pasadena that day!

MEAT

Damn! You're absolutely right....I'm supposed to be there there at the Expo myself. and the irony is I was trying to get a grip contest there for this year; maybe I'll try a bit harder bext year, Anyway, since I'd like to have Clay and everyone else come down (or up), then Clay, how'bout March sometime (a Saturday, preferably)?

Damn! You're absolutely right....I'm supposed to be there there at the Expo myself. and the irony is I was trying to get a grip contest there for this year; maybe I'll try a bit harder bext year, Anyway, since I'd like to have Clay and everyone else come down (or up), then Meat, Clay, et al, how'bout March sometime (a Saturday, preferably)?

Kevin, unless I come across some sponsorship deals to pay for travel expenses I probably won't be able to make too many trips to SoCal next year. We're planning on moving in May and extra cash is being put in the savings account