Finaly got to use my crush machine.

Fuel Crusher

Well after a busy Xmas I finaly found the time earlier to have a go on my crush machine. Pics of the 'contraption' can be found on my site.

I was a bit dubious as to what to do with the machine as I'm struggling with knuckle injuries at the moment. Due to these injuries I didn't fancy any positive movements do it was negatives all the way :) .

I placed 5kg on the machine and then holding the weight lever up with one hand I gripped with the other and released the weight.

The MAJOR difference between this machine and a gripper is the fact that the weight is applied to your grip evenly over a full range of motion, we all know that the gripper gets harder as it gets more closed. What this meant was that I could control the negative quite well early in the release but found it incredibly hard toward the end of the movement. I did 2 sets of 5 negatives per hand and with a bit of practice feel that this could be a very useful device. Oh and I experienced no knuckle pain :D . I should also point out that with this 5kg on the lever I couldn't even start a positive rep, not the slightest budge.

It's got me thinking about hand strength over the full range of motion of the crushing action, its obvious to me that if the trainer applied it's pressure evenly over full ROM then I probably wouldn't be able to budge that :0 . So is improving the strength of ones hand in the more open part of the crush going to be beneficial? Should it be given the same priority that we give the final part? For mashing a gripper probably not but we do this stuff for a balanced grip don't we lads ;)  :D

Ramblings over, it's too late in a night shift for any further thought ???

FC