Pain from grippers

Fuel Crusher

I've been using the Coc grippers, namely the Trainer and No1 for about 2 months now. I generally warm up with the trainer, a couple of sets of ten, and then go to a couple of sets of 5 with the 1 followed by several sets of forced reps with negatives maybe 10 reps in a set. I've also just started using strapholds.

My problem is that I get pain in my knuckles, mainly my stronger right hand, second knuckle (is it index finger?) I have been getting this pain since I started on the grippers. I even laid off the right hand for a couple of weeks when I first started because the pain worried me. The pain isn't bad enough that I cannot close the grippers, in fact by the end of the workout the pain is generally gone.

Does anyone else get pain in the knuckles from the grippers? Am I putting too much effort in too soon? You think I should stop using them? :(

Shouts for help and advice...

Crusher , I seem to be having a similar problem,only the pain is in the middle of my palms and the back of my right thumb at the wrist. Yesterday I did the following on my "guillotine" and experienced aforementioned symptoms;

4 x 5 reps @ 90 lbs

4 x 5 negs "  "   "

4 x 5 timed holds @ 110 lbs

3 x 10 fast reps @ 70 lbs

I followed Tou's advice for warm up's before and after this workout and the pain subsided! I do  not have DOMS this morning as I feared only a nagging pain on the outside of my left elbow that bothers me when I  do curls and grip on same day. I use Tiger Balm (sugggested by Kingpin) on elbow which helps quite a bit. I hope this helps, sorry for the lengthy post!

JJ

forgot to mention; workout is with two hands simultaneously!

Comments and/or constructive criticism,please!?

Guest kINGPIN

Hey lads, read this article and what he says about grippers.  I don't agree with all of it but I have to agree that he does have a bit of a point.  Afterall, grippers springs were not designed for this specific purpose.  Use the information as you please and draw your own conclusions.  

The way I chose to go about it is to train more with the gripper inverted and to lower my volume with them aswell as adding more variety to my grip workouts.  -thats just what I figured.  Bare in mind what younguy said in his last post and don't push things too hard when you start out.

Thanks for the link Kingpin, it does provide food for thought and in my case, some valid points! I do know that I have tendonitis in my left elbow when I train grip and arms, but what my Dr. said was not acceptable,he advised to drop all weight and grip work and do aerobics instead!! As you can imagine I will be looking for a new MD soon! He's one of those  little,cappuccino drinking,Dexter types whose idea of a workout is walking his dog at night!! :D  I have the tennis elbow under control but not my addiction to weights and grip work!!

Guest kINGPIN

I'm not going to come out with the usual 'don't train it if it is injured' because you allready know that.  But if you HAVE to keep it up, use minimal volume.  Also, think of it as an oppertunity to put your all into the squat.

just my opinion

Good link kINGPIN, the section on grip made alot of sense to me. Most of my grip work is timed holds, pinch lifts and block weights anyway so I may lighten up even further on my gripper work to maybe once weekly. I've still to use the crush machine I made so I don't know yet whether I'll have the same problems with that. ???

Getting quite a link archive going eh Andy, hope you're keeping track of em all :D  you'll end up quite an invaluable resource.

By the way have you joined the Garage Gym forum over at cyberpump yet?

FC

Guest kINGPIN

My favourites file is absolutly loaded. :)

When I find stuff I will post a link but as you know, most articles say pretty much the same thing.  I may just sign up to the garage gym but the Gripboard will always be my home. ;)

I went through a similar situation in my right hand.  I had a pain between my Index and Middle knuckles.  After 2 months of grippers, I took a 3 week break.  I came back, still with some pain, gripped for a while, and the pain was getting worse.  I took a 2 month break.  The pain was gone when I started.  After a month back, the pain still isn't there, and my gains are increasing.  I'm dying here, waiting for my 340IP.  Must crush...must crush...must crush...

Hope your hand heals well.  

Alan

More evidence then for me to lay off the grippers. It's strange though that the pain occurred right from when I started on the grippers so unless I injured myself on that very first workout I must have been carrying a previous injury that I was unaware of ???

Cheers AnimalCage

FC

IMHO, It's easy to go a little overboard the first time a gripper sits in your hand.  My Dad said I would have difficulty with a #1.  With my body-building brother standing next to me, I cranked out 20 something.  He cranked out 20+ something.  I cranked out 20++ something.  Again, with the #2, we tried to outdo each other.  He even complained about hand pain, and didn't follow through with any grip training.  It's easy to start on the wrong foot.  Thank God for a body that heals despite our stupidity.

Guest Youngguy

Well right now Fuel Crusher, the best thing to do is rest until your knuckles heal. I think I know your problem is or was. You see I was replying in another topic. When you first start out on the COC grippers you want to aim for high reps on the trainer and #1. The reason for this is so you can condition yourself for advanced training (strength training). I did 50 reps on my #1 before I ordered the #2 and #3. If I had not have worked 50 reps I would probably as of this day not have closed #3. I am only 14 so my tendons are not as big or devolved as you would say as an adults tendons are. Well they grew bigger, by doing high repetitions. Then I headed into the advanced stage. I had dealt with allot pain from over working. When I did push-ups the tendons on the backside of my hand hurt really bad. That point of time I made my self rest and back off. After that everything was fine.

What I am trying to say is you had a wrong start, but after your problem heals you will probably be on the right track. to strength train.

This is only my conclusion.

I don’t have any pain but all my knuckles in both hands pop like popcorn with my first rep. I just hope this doesn’t lead to arthritis in my old age. I guess I will just have to look and see or more hope and pray! :(  ;)

:0  Seems like quite a few of us go through pain for these damned grippers ;) . I've already decided to leave the grippers alone for a few weeks, I'm also cutting back on the grip work I do after my main workouts. I think I got carried away with this grip game and tried to do too much too soon.

I did however get to have a go on my crush machine earlier this evening, I'm going to post the results in a new thread.

FC

Guest Askalas

The other day I was showing the #2 to my friend and he asked me to close it.  I did it cold and every joint in my hand went off like a string of M-80s.  Dang stupid not taking a warm up I know but luckly there was no pain.  I did have some pain in my hands over the summer which the doctor said could have been because I traumatized the nerves.  He said he had seen it in mountain bikers who ride for long distances, like across states.  Bottom line he said, give it some rest.  That's what I did and now I feel great. :p