Spring 2005 Grip Contest

Rick Walker

May 2005...NOT 2006.

Just throwing this out there to make people aware of it.

Shooting for mid May. Nothing is definite yet.

Events will be:

1-hand pinch block

1-hand deadlift with dinnie stone type ring

Grippers

Short bar bending

Thunderball

Medley events afterwards.

3 attempts at each event with each hand- 6 total attempts.

Just a heads up to clear your calendars. Nothing is set in stone.

Rick Walker :rock

Thinking of pulling out bending all together. Not really a big fan of it, and I want somethig that will be all wrist.

Thinking about doing the barbell wrist curl off the side of a bench. The bar will be handed to the lifter by 2 people. The wrists must be in the down position. The reps is completed when the hands are at 180 degrees.

Just some thought.

Table top wrist curl, Rick......

-Jedd-

Table top wrist curl, Rick......

-Jedd-

Dont really have the ability to do a table top wrist curl event as I have no table that is #1-high enough, and #2-strong enough to hold the weight.

There will be a wrist event. What it will be I have not yet decided.

Also-this contest will have a strict limit of participants. It will be held at my house, same as BFGS. If there is inclement weather, the contest will be held in my garage. Those who have been here know it is certainly not large enough to hold a bunch of competitors! I think I will cut it off at 12 again-and I will not be competing in this one. It will be first come first serve once the official announcement is made.

Prizes will be some type of trophy (swords, knives, or battle axes) and $cash$ for top 5. No equipment prizes this year.

There will be a door prize (havent decided what yet). As usual, beer and food will be available post contest.

Thanks-

Dont really have the ability to do a table top wrist curl event as I have no table that is #1-high enough, and #2-strong enough to hold the weight.

Good point. Maybe a strict plate curl event?

-Jedd-

More brain storming. Want this to be different, but trainable for everyone.

- 1 hand pinch block

- grippers with a minimum set

- Eagle Loops deadlift with barbell and 4 fingers of each hand ( 5 attempts)

- PDA Thunderball revolving handle

- Levering event

Plate Curls sound awsome for a wrist event, even tho I have only odne them once to just try out. Gives me incentive to train them. Or how about Sledge hammer levering to nose rick? Only counts if hammer is parralell. Heaviest Lever wins. Using a Adjustable Hammer.

Edited by Kurt Lane

Hey Rick, why not do some kind of max levering event on a Fat Bastard Slammer? I'm sure all the guys would like to grab ahold and try one of them out. I like sledge hammer levering and I think this would be a great way to let the guys who can handle the big hammers go all out without having to use a bunch of different hammers and it would be much more exciting than watching the weaver stick.

Too much to worry about with hammers-making sure the arms stay a certain level, making sure the arm stays straight,-things like that would be hard to control and keep constant.

I am thinking a lever to the rear-like a weaver stick type of lever.

why not a wrist roller?

I think you run into the same problems. Too easy to cheat, to hard to control. How many people actually use just their wrists when using the wrist roller?

what about a plate wrist curl? This woudl be pretty easy to judge, much easier than a plate curl.

what about a plate wrist curl?  This woudl be pretty easy to judge, much easier than a plate curl.

The plate wrist curl is just as bad at testing the strength of the wrist as bending is. Unfortunetly, for 99% of us, our fingers will give out long before our wrists do making plate wrist curls a poor wrist event IMO.

WOW, First time I've ever heard that but to each his own. I'm sure it'll be a great contest whatever you decide.